"Biggest Band Break Ups and Make Ups" (BBC 4) features The Smiths

Re: Biggest Band Break Ups and Make Ups

BBC 4, 9pm tonight. The Smiths are featured.

Mark Radcliffe presents a look at the highs and lows of band life - the creative tension that produces great music and the pressures that come with success and fame, and pull most bands apart. Radcliffe lifts the lid on the main reasons why bands break up and the secrets of bands that manage to stay together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05q472d

sounds neat. thanks

BBC 4, 9pm tonight. The Smiths are featured.

Biggest Band Break Ups and Make Ups

Mark Radcliffe presents a look at the highs and lows of band life - the creative tension that produces great music and the pressures that come with success and fame, and pull most bands apart. Radcliffe lifts the lid on the main reasons why bands break up and the secrets of bands that manage to stay together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Biggest Band Break Ups and Make Ups

Shouldn't it really be on a show about break ups only?

The Smiths not even in top ten of break ups

1 Beatles
2 Bay city rollers
3 Stone roses
4 Take that
5 Frankie goes to Hollywood
6 Jesus and Mary chain
7 Dexys midnight runners
8 The Thompson Twins
9 Take that the second break up
10 Wham

F F S Steven ! Your obsessed with charts and numbers, have you got O C D as well as cancer ?

Well, I watched this and I learned something. That one of the things that tipped Johnny over the edge was Morrisssey's no-show/refusal to come out as they were about to shoot the video for Sheila Take A Bow. The director lady was begging with Morrissey through the letter box, and Johnny was shouting at him that if he didn't come out, then it was all over for the band.

P.

Well, I watched this and I learned something. That one of the things that tipped Johnny over the edge was Morrisssey's no-show/refusal to come out as they were about to shoot the video for Sheila Take A Bow. The director lady was begging with Morrissey through the letter box, and Johnny was shouting at him that if he didn't come out, then it was all over for the band.

P.

For me that was nothing new. It has been said elsewhere.

P.

But no mention of what happened BEFORE that? No mention of why Morrissey didn't want to get involved?

Was New Order featured? They have been the most entertaining break up, but maybe officially Peter Hook just left...

But no mention of what happened BEFORE that? No mention of why Morrissey didn't want to get involved?

exactly.

also, same here billy, not at all and i can honestly say im a little happy to see them gone. dont hate them but the music irritates me

Johnny was shouting at him that if he didn't come out, then it was all over for the band.

And then Morrissey came out, and then he went in again, but with his nephew and a few naked laydees this time...I guess nobody in the band knows where this is going...

Unless...If Morrissey is straight now, the next logical step is to reform the Smiths! :D

I'm not in the uk, cant see the damn thing. Could someone, If they are so kind and beautiful
Write a short summary on the Smiths segment of this show. I'm really curious about the sheila take a part bow
:)

P.

Well IF i was that lady i would have found a rock broken a window in to morrisseys house and say. If you are staying in iam too and than just annoy him until he goes out

P.

I thought there was an incident around this time where they had Sandie Shaw come round for the video or backing vocals and Morrissey refused to turn up and it pissed the band / Sandie off.

P.

P.

I never knew that either until I read this book. The reviews on Amazon (some of them), said that there was nothing more to really add to The Severed Alliance, but I found this book to be the most informative and interesting book since The Songs That Saved Your Life by Simon Goddard. I waited with great anticipation in the early 90's for The Severed Alliance and actually thought it was crap and never really finished it, but I read The Light That Never Goes Out from cover to cover. There's lots of input from many of the people who were around the band, shedding new light on things that happened. I guess there's only Johnny's autobiography to tell us the real story now, unless he glosses over it like Morrissey did. What would be great is Goddard's book (with all its fantastic Johnny contributions), a similar contribution from Moz about the lyrics and writing the songs, where and how he wrote them from Johnny's tapes etc. Mike and Andy talking about recording sessions and jamming/coming up with parts and the first time they heard the songs interspersed with anecdotes and info about where they were staying, what else was going on around the band, gigs, setlists....I wish I could interview the b******s!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-That-Never-Goes-Out/dp/0099537923

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I never knew that either until I read this book. The reviews on Amazon (some of them), said that there was nothing more to really add to The Severed Alliance, but I found this book to be the most informative and interesting book since The Songs That Saved Your Life by Simon Goddard. I waited with great anticipation in the early 90's for The Severed Alliance and actually thought it was crap and never really finished it, but I read The Light That Never Goes Out from cover to cover. There's lots of input from many of the people who were around the band, shedding new light on things that happened. I guess there's only Johnny's autobiography to tell us the real story now, unless he glosses over it like Morrissey did. What would be great is Goddard's book (with all its fantastic Johnny contributions), a similar contribution from Moz about the lyrics and writing the songs, where and how he wrote them from Johnny's tapes etc. Mike and Andy talking about recording sessions and jamming/coming up with parts and the first time they heard the songs interspersed with anecdotes and info about where they were staying, what else was going on around the band, gigs, setlists....I wish I could interview the b******s!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-That-Never-Goes-Out/dp/0099537923
I'm reading this now, about half way through......I think its a really good book, well researched IMHO.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

P.

You still here? Thought you hadn't got time, what with the wife and kids and all.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom