"Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" by Tim Jonze - The Guardian

Another hatchet job in The Guardian

Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze

Once his songs of loneliness and shyness made him a hero to misfits and outsiders. Yet now he is voicing his support for a far-right party

Morrissey response:
Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hatchet job you say? You like all the reviews from the right-wing sites praising him, but not the ones that don't? Doesn't that strike you as a little partisan and blinkered?

I mean, how terrible to have an article that has actual quotes from the man himself in it. What a low tactic.

The article is 100% spot-on. And the remaining fans who don't like it are the ones who don't mind or don't care that they are still giving money to a supporter of far-right causes. They are welcome to him.

This article tells it like it is, and in a factual, quotation and action-based evidential way. I get that there are those that won't like the actual facts being thrown back at them. As we say in Yorkshire, 'there's none so blind as them that won't see'

Is this 'article'... http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/13748/Interview/Morrissey-and-the-Magic-of-Music a hatchet-job? Is it only a hatchet job when you don't like it?

And now for the first time we can read about the time a pissed-up Morrissey moaned about immigration in that interview, and his ongoing tactic of threatening legal action against people for quoting what he actually said. And kudos to Billy Bragg for saying what he said.

Last edited:
Get yer pipe

“Even Tesco wouldn’t employ Diane Abbott,” – the Cambridge-educated shadow home secretary and Britain’s most prominent black MP.”

This is only racist if it suits your narrative - she’s f***ing stupid. “White people love playing divide and rule”, in her words.

So many lies! Even in the title:

"Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" - No we don't. @ The Guardian You don't speak for us.

"To see Morrissey embrace the far right so openly was shocking," - He hasn't embraced them. He's just supporting a party that isn't labour or tory.

"A record store in Cardiff decided not to stock the album, with its owner saying sales of his music had nosedived because “customers are saying they can no longer buy into his increasingly divisive politics, not even for ‘old times’ sake" - Yay! More lies! As confirmed on Amazon and iTunes.

Journalism is such an easy job. All you have to do, is make shit up!

How many of these articles are going to be written? How long can the same thing be said over and over? The people who are offended by Morrissey should have left years ago. It's time to move on and find something else to do with your life.

So many lies! Even in the title:

"Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" - No we don't. @ The Guardian You don't speak for us.

"To see Morrissey embrace the far right so openly was shocking," - He hasn't embraced them. He's just supporting a party that isn't labour or tory.

"A record store in Cardiff decided not to stock the album, with its owner saying sales of his music had nosedived because “customers are saying they can no longer buy into his increasingly divisive politics, not even for ‘old times’ sake" - Yay! More lies! As confirmed on Amazon and iTunes.

Journalism is such an easy job. All you have to do, is make shit up!

How about you make a list of the claims in the article, and contrast the ones that are factually correct against the ones that are not? You won't do that for two reasons - (1) You're too lazy to do it and (2) It would show your risible claim up for the laughable assertion it is. As I said, there's none so blind as those that won't see.

There is no point attempting to argue a point with the blindly adulatory. No point at all. But one can show up the plain absurdity of their comment.

Commenting without reading is such an easy job. All you have to do is make shit up.

Hatchet job you say? You like all the reviews from the right-wing sites praising him, but not the ones that don't? Doesn't that strike you as a little partisan and blinkered?

I mean, how terrible to have an article that has actual quotes from the man himself in it. What a low tactic.

The article is 100% spot-on. And the remaining fans who don't like it are the ones who don't mind or don't care that they are still giving money to a supporter of far-right causes. They are welcome to him.

This article tells it like its is, and in a factual, quotation and action-based evidential way. I get that there are those that won't like the actual facts being thrown back at them. As we say in Yorkshire, 'there's none so blind as them that won't see'

Is this 'article'... http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/13748/Interview/Morrissey-and-the-Magic-of-Music a hatchet-job? Is it only a hatchet job when you don't like it?

And now for the first time we can read about the time a pissed-up Morrissey moaned about immigration in that interview, and his ongoing tactic of threatening legal action against people for quoting what he actually said. And kudos to Billy Bragg for saying what he said.

It's a hatchet job because it is unbalanced - but I do appreciate the idea of balanced journalism, especially in The Guardian, is quaint. You and people who attack Moz miss the fundamental point - that maybe, just maybe, it is possible to be against mass immigration and not be racist. I know it is hard for you to get your little mind around - but do try. At least consider the possibility?

It's a hatchet job because it is unbalanced - but I do appreciate the idea of balanced journalism, especially in The Guardian, is quaint. You and people who attack Moz miss the fundamental point - that maybe, just maybe, it is possible to be against mass immigration and not be racist. I know it is hard for you to get your little mind around - but do try. At least consider the possibility?

Laughable. Unbalanced because it contains actual quotes and facts? Did you think the Fiona Dodwell article was unbalanced for the same reason for not containing a counter view? Of course not.

@ The Guardian & Spillers: Why lie, you lying bunch of twats? Don't answer that!

California Son has been in the top 10 cd and vinyl charts on Amazon. It was also in the iTunes top 10. It is currsntly at number 8 in the iTunes Alternative chart. See! This is why we need f***ing screenshots!

Also, there's this:

What really gets me about dismissing Moz's views as 'racist' - don't you realise that the vast majority of working class people share his views? You go into any working class pub or club and you will hear people say very similar things about immigration and Britishness. Are they all racist? I thought we had moved on. Yet as far as the mainstream media are concerned such views are beyond the pale. Why do you despise the working class so much?

This article tells it like its is, and in a factual, quotation and action-based evidential way. I get that there are those that won't like the actual facts being thrown back at them. As we say in Yorkshire, 'there's none so blind as them that won't see'

you say we are welcome to him does that mean you are finally going to f*** off and give us all peace.billy bragg haha guy hasn't been relevant for about thirty years,anything to get his name in the papers,is he going to burn his smiths collection as well.

tim Jonze a mammys boy if ever I seen one.
Ms music has nosedived,his latest album is 2/3 in the charts.

It seems everyone who ever worked at NME now is employed by The Guardian... And they stick in the knife with double the pleasure. Sad times.

And Bragg is a hypocrite, will not be listening to his albums again.

Laughable. Unbalanced because it contains actual quotes and facts? Did you think the Fiona Dodwell article was unbalanced for the same reason for not containing a counter view? Of course not.

Both articles are unbalanced. The Dodwell piece was fawningly, gushingly pro-Morrissey and the Guardian article (although much, much better written) has a crystal clear agenda and is written by a journalist who has a long-standing personal beef with Morrissey.

I don't think the Guardian piece is a "hatchet job" per se, it's just the latest salvo in their specific battle against Morrissey and their broader cultural battle against anyone in the public eye (oh hi, John Cleese!) who might dare to voice an opinion about the impacts of mass immigration and multicultural change. I love living in a multicultural city (Birmingham) but there are millions of people in the UK who genuinely don't like the way this country has changed over the past 30-40 years. And it's way, way too simplistic to take the blinkered Guardian worldview of "You are automatically racist if you think like that" - just as it's way, way too simplistic to take the opposite worldview of "All immigrants should f*** off out of this country". It makes me sad that Morrissey is much, much closer to that end of the spectrum, but this constant framing of everything as good vs evil, left vs right, whatever vs Nazis is just so very limited and only makes things worse.

Last edited:
jess glynne is on bbc breakfast,jess who I hear you ask,seven no 1 singles,if she passed me in Tesco I wouldn't have a clue,that is the state of music today.

Tim - what a ruler. Ruler, substantive, meaning a tool, used for measuring distance, /aid for underlining/making straight lines. Also used for producing the sound "BOIIIIING" when struck, or for striking others as corporal punishment or pure sadism.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom