"Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" by Tim Jonze - The Guardian

Another hatchet job in The Guardian

Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze

Once his songs of loneliness and shyness made him a hero to misfits and outsiders. Yet now he is voicing his support for a far-right party

Morrissey response:
Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another hatchet job in The Guardian

Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze

Once his songs of loneliness and shyness made him a hero to misfits and outsiders. Yet now he is voicing his support for a far-right party

Media coverage:

“Link posted by an anonymous person”

How dare you!! Do I not exist as part of this community?

I find it funny that non heteros like Waters and Morrissey are making common cause with EDL types.

The Zionists have bigged up Britain First the EDL and other anti Islamic groups thinking all this right wing surge won't eventually come back to bite them.

But it is. Especially in central Europe.

I just posted about an article on bing about miss india contestants being too white and trill voted it dislike,so you cant even post an actual fact on here anymore,this place is mental, think I will check out incase trills got her trigger finger on the troll badge.

I find it funny that non heteros like Waters and Morrissey are making common cause with EDL types.

The Zionists have bigged up Britain First the EDL and other anti Islamic groups thinking all this right wing surge won't eventually come back to bite them.

But it is. Especially in central Europe.

Morrissey is actually supporting For Britain not Britain first but i digress

"The Great Betrayal"? Who is betraying who? The G2 print edition cover has quite a nice collage (with Skinny Moz turning his back on 'us') with that headline. í am reminded of Comrade Kim Philby's comment, when accused of 'betrayal' of Blighty ~ "how can one betray something one never belonged to?".

The story is old, but it goes on and on and on~ Morrissey was singing for Morrissey. The rest is on you.

The print edition opens with a key variation on the on-line article opening, "Once Morrissey sang about his outsider status. Today he promotes a far-right party." Is that supposed to be a blazing opening paradox? In the current climate, that would seem to be business as usual then, no?

Instead of wringing out one last manky squeeze of the "Bigmouth Strikes Ag...zzzzzz" headline, í feel now that it would surely be more apt to replace it with the next line in that song "And í've got no right to take my place / With the Human Race". Cancel Culture, The New Stalinism, Etc.
By the way, it's instructive listening again to that song. As if he knew all along that this was how things would shake out; a martyr to himself. Or an enemy, at the very least.

And for B. Bragg to call Morrissey the Oswald Mosely of pop is one of the most fatuous, cack-headed things í've read in months. Mosely was an avowed, actual Fascist (and í mean that in the true sense of the word, not just an insult people toss around at those who hold views opposite to theirs); he was a traitor, who instigated and organised actual physical harm and hate in this country, and was jailed for such.
Morrissey has (some) views that differ (radically) from Bragg's. Calling him Fascist is idiotic and click-bait bullshit. í'm sure BB is being deluged as we speak with 'Nice one Mate', 'Top Bloke Bill' circle-jerk twitterati.

How many more articles do the Guardian have to write about him . It's pretty ridiculous and a vendetta but also very very boring . I was thinking today though how Morrissey really has smashed his reputation to pieces in the UK now and I honestly don't think he will recover from this one . I can't even imagine the outcry there will be if he ever announces another UK tour / show . There will literally be protests outside the venue . I don't see it really affecting him much outside of the UK but I think he could be finished here now . Sure he will still have his fans but in the current climate of virtue signalling ultra left I don't think any promoters etc will want to align themselves with him anymore . I'm not saying I agree with a lot of what he is saying but I do agree with free speech , if you're in favour of free speech then that means you are in favour precisely of free speech for views you don't agree with . Anyone can be in favour of free speech for views they agree with but that's not what it is . However I do think he has slightly lost his mind aligning himself with such an ultra right party , his defenders can say oh i checked their website and their not right wing at all blah blah . well of course they are not openly going to say that on their website but do a little research into the people behind the party . Which on the flip side does make me think that some Moz fans are so blind they literally will defend him for anything . I am totally convinced that if he came out and said the holocaust was a good thing some on here would find some way to defend him . He's making it very hard to remain a fan at the moment . We have all weathered the many storms of being fans over the years and most of the accusations have actually been unfounded or vendettas but he really isn't leaving much grey area lately . It really does seem like deliberate career suicide which in a mad way I can respect , the fact he really doesn't care who he upsets but at the same time he seems to have turned into something I really can't identify with or respect anymore . Most on here will say well leave then and fair enough but the blind devotion no matter what he says , well maybe take a step back and look in the mirror . I never used to worry about any of the crap written about him , always felt that bond but even I am having a little trouble really enjoying his music right now . I guess what I'm saying is being a long time fan I have never seen it as bad as this before and I can't remember the last time an artist had this level of bad press / outcry against him . Contrary to what many and maybe Morrissey himself thinks , he is not bullet proof , some storms are too severe to survive and I really don't know if he will come back from all this especially in the UK . These are indeed interesting times

I don´t see him setting foot on english soil for years to come, except for visiting his mother of course. Maybe when Brexit is finalized and the sea is smooth and he only wears bumblebee pins from now on, then, maybe then it could happen. I certainly wish for it, the sooner the better!

Hatchet job you say? You like all the reviews from the right-wing sites praising him, but not the ones that don't? Doesn't that strike you as a little partisan and blinkered?

I mean, how terrible to have an article that has actual quotes from the man himself in it. What a low tactic.

The article is 100% spot-on. And the remaining fans who don't like it are the ones who don't mind or don't care that they are still giving money to a supporter of far-right causes. They are welcome to him.

This article tells it like it is, and in a factual, quotation and action-based evidential way. I get that there are those that won't like the actual facts being thrown back at them. As we say in Yorkshire, 'there's none so blind as them that won't see'

Is this 'article'... http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/13748/Interview/Morrissey-and-the-Magic-of-Music a hatchet-job? Is it only a hatchet job when you don't like it?

And now for the first time we can read about the time a pissed-up Morrissey moaned about immigration in that interview, and his ongoing tactic of threatening legal action against people for quoting what he actually said. And kudos to Billy Bragg for saying what he said.

Nothing controversial here.
You should put out cow milk from your diet Peter.

Lest anyone be in any doubt, there is nothing new about this turmoil. As a t-shirt flaunting Morrissey fan in Manchester, throughout the 90s, I was regularly tapped on the shoulder by bores who wanted to share there dislike of ‘racist’ Morrissey with me.

Likewise, people anticipated a curtain falling on his career then, too. The journalist Steven Wells attacked Morrissey, in the NME, almost weekly and Wells maintained Morrissey’s career had seconds to live for over a decade.

The only thing that has changed, as far as I can see in all this, is the introduction of social media. The bores remain the same; they are still waiting, still anticipating Morrissey’s demise. But they can now tap the entire planet on the shoulder.

Morrissey, nevertheless, prevails with a dignity which points to what I always knew: he has a level of ‘class’ which matches his song writing talent.

Morrissey will, of course, play the UK again in the not too distant future. And detracting publications, like The Guardian, will likely lap his performances up like thirsty dogs, just as they did in 2004. And I still won’t believe them.

I'm listening to The Smiths right now and J. Marr is correct: those songs will live on because, even after all these years, Morrissey's humor, humanity, cleverness, cheek and outright bravery still shine though, and because Marr's music is perfection.

I remember who Morrissey seemed to be then, and it's a very far cry from who Morrissey seems to be now.

That's what is just so goddamn sad.

In my opinion, Morrissey is at very worst a xenophobe. That’s a bit different from being a racist. I have relatives who exhibit similar xenophobic tendencies, and although it doesn’t fit my world view, and I’m sometimes perplexed by how they are, I don’t dislike them and less

Lest anyone be in any doubt, there is nothing new about this turmoil. As a t-shirt flaunting Morrissey fan in Manchester, throughout the 90s, I was regularly tapped on the shoulder by bores who wanted to share there dislike of ‘racist’ Morrissey with me.

Likewise, people anticipated a curtain falling on his career then, too. The journalist Steven Wells attacked Morrissey, in the NME, almost weekly and Wells maintained Morrissey’s career had seconds to live for over a decade.

The only thing that has changed, as far as I can see in all this, is the introduction of social media. The bores remain the same; they are still waiting, still anticipating Morrissey’s demise. But they can now tap the entire planet on the shoulder.

Morrissey, nevertheless, prevails with a dignity which points to what I always knew: he has a level of ‘class’ which matches his song writing talent.

Morrissey will, of course, play the UK again in the not too distant future. And detracting publications, like The Guardian, will likely lap his performances up like thirsty dogs, just as they did in 2004. And I still won’t believe them.

you're kidding yourself if you think this is the same as the 90's union jack at finsbury park incident , That was just a storm in a tea cup in the playpen of the music press , most people were not even aware of it unless you read the NME . This is way different . This is making the national newspapers and beyond . People I know who are not even halfway up on current music news are telling me Morrissey is a right wing racist etc . In the 90's it was ambiguous now he is directly aligning himself with a far right party and more importantly they are aligning themselves with him and he is doing nothing to change that . He will not enjoy a comeback like 2004 ever again in the UK . I think you are seriously underestimating the severity of this one

Oswald Mosley was an intelligent and interesting man who was originally on the left. He was a brilliant orator.

Listen to him talk about globalisation in the 1930s.

His only crime was refusing to keep quiet about the money-men who dragged Britain through two pointless world wars. He bravely fought in the first and was imprisoned in his own country as an enemy of the state during the second - all for telling the truth.

Defy the money men and you will pay the price. They will silence you and blacken your name forever.

Last edited:
you're kidding yourself if you think this is the same as the 90's union jack at finsbury park incident , That was just a storm in a tea cup in the playpen of the music press , most people were not even aware of it unless you read the NME . This is way different . This is making the national newspapers and beyond . People I know who are not even halfway up on current music news are telling me Morrissey is a right wing racist etc . In the 90's it was ambiguous now he is directly aligning himself with a far right party and more importantly they are aligning themselves with him and he is doing nothing to change that . He will not enjoy a comeback like 2004 ever again in the UK . I think you are seriously underestimating the severity of this one
The severity exists only because of social media, 24 hour news and gossip online, and people's growing intolerance of anything truly radical now that consumer culture is blending us all into one mass with only one endorsed way of thinking.

People who know nothing about Morrissey's views are calling him a racist. It's what happens now. Sheep-like moralistic condemnation.

Last edited:
Zionism really is evil

Nothing controversial here.
You should put out cow milk from your diet Peter.

I'd be more embarrassed if he alligned himself to Labour or the Lib Dems to be honest, like most of those 80s and 90's bedwetters.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom