"Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed" by Tim Jonze - The Guardian

Another hatchet job in The Guardian

Bigmouth strikes again and again: why Morrissey fans feel so betrayed - The Guardian
By Tim Jonze

Once his songs of loneliness and shyness made him a hero to misfits and outsiders. Yet now he is voicing his support for a far-right party

Morrissey response:
Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oswald Mosley was an intelligent and interesting man who was originally on the left. He was a brilliant orator.

Listen to him talk about globalisation in the 1930s.

His only crime was refusing to keep quiet about the money-men who dragged Britain through two pointless world wars. He bravely fought in the first and was imprisoned in his own country as an enemy of the state during the second - all for telling the truth.

Defy the money men and you will pay the price. They will silence you and blacken your name forever.

He was a clever guy but a wrong un. He fell under Hitler's spell and wanted to introduce real fascism into this country like a lot of those toffs of the time.

you're kidding yourself if you think this is the same as the 90's union jack at finsbury park incident , That was just a storm in a tea cup in the playpen of the music press , most people were not even aware of it unless you read the NME . This is way different . This is making the national newspapers and beyond . People I know who are not even halfway up on current music news are telling me Morrissey is a right wing racist etc . In the 90's it was ambiguous now he is directly aligning himself with a far right party and more importantly they are aligning themselves with him and he is doing nothing to change that . He will not enjoy a comeback like 2004 ever again in the UK . I think you are seriously underestimating the severity of this one

Even if he never plays a large arena again in the UK, he'll still fill smaller venues for a few more yrs at least.

People can be terrible for non-political reasons too. It's extremely likely that someone horrendous was involved in making that jar of pickles you just picked up. Vile people are everywhere and in every thing. Boycotts make sense when things are not as they should be. Morrissey only ever claimed to be himself.

I'm just wondering, how long will it be until the reputations of some of our most beloved rock/pop stars are revisited? Morrissey made some iffy statements about (among other things) Kevin Spacey, but it seems like some rock legends of the seventies actually slept with 14-year-olds and there's hardly a word said against them. I suppose it's the political angle here and the fact that Morrissey is hardly keeping these things private, but there's surely, at the very least, some inconsistency in reaching for the smelling salts and making Morrissey persona non grata but looking the other way concerning the entire history of rock 'n' roll. No?

Morrissey's correct, the parents know exactly the position they're leaving their child in.
And especially in Hollywood, which is built on the exploitation of minors,, with their parents blessing. From Shirley Temple to Natalie Woods to Corey Haim, Heather O 'Rourke, The Olsen Twins and every child actor/singer in between..
Child abuse is systemic in Hollywood and that's what Morrissey's alluding to.
This doesn't make Kevin Spacey any less of a creep, in fact he's far worse than is known, and has hurt younger boys courtesy of Jeffrey Epstein. Most movie directors even if some are not directly involved turn a blind eye or they won't work again. Look on you tube there are numerous videos exposing this.
Morrissey is the only one who alludes to the truth which leaves him open to attack instead of investigating what he is saying.
Try jaimie Dlux on YouTube.
So if Hollywood is full of child rapists maybe blaming the victims isn't the best way to "investigate."
I'm not going to continue this. I said what I meant. It's irrelevant that Spacey managed to fool that kid's parents. I'm sure that, if they are still living, they regret having trusted him. But if we say that all adults should be treated like sexual predators and anyone who is raped or molested is to blame it's the same effect as condoning the behavior.
I'm not looking at youtube channels to tell me what has become very well known. The incident we're discussing was more than thirty years ago.
And the same people that will deny Morrissey blamed the victim will upvote a post saying it was the victim's fault.

Read the story. His parents were in the same business as Spacey. He worked to earn their trust. Spacey told him to watch tv in the bedroom while he partied. The 14 year old and parents were convinced he was ok. It was 30!years ago and Spacey had no reputation. Also, anyone who blames anyone but the perpetrator is clearly a c***.
You write a factual post and the local morons rate it "troll" because they can't argue with facts.

I'm just wondering, how long will it be until the reputations of some of our most beloved rock/pop stars are revisited? Morrissey made some iffy statements about (among other things) Kevin Spacey, but it seems like some rock legends of the seventies actually slept with 14-year-olds and there's hardly a word said against them. I suppose it's the political angle here and the fact that Morrissey is hardly keeping these things private, but there's surely, at the very least, some inconsistency in reaching for the smelling salts and making Morrissey persona non grata but looking the other way concerning the entire history of rock 'n' roll. No?
You could get that started if you want to. I think that you'll need some victims coming forward. Regardless of the morality of what Jimmy Page and others did and possibly still do, I have not seen anyone saying they were victimized. That doesn't mean that it was legal, but the legality of it is all you can really discuss rationally. Do you disapprove of 1970's-era Jimmy Page's morality?
I think part of the reason the Kevin Spacey story blew up is because he's gay and for some people that brings in the morality issue. If he had tried to have sex with a 14 year old girl it wouldn't seem as shocking to these people.
Morrissey's problem isn't comparable, though. Jimmy Page allegedly did what he did and for the most part you have to dig to find out about it. It's not based on someone coming forward as a victim.
Morrissey chose to speak about a case where a victim did tell their story, and chose to blame the victim and the parents of the victim.

And then, those of you who love Morrissey no matter what dumb shit he says should take note, the STORY WENT AWAY AGAIN.
Now Tim Jonze has brought it back up again and because, as Morrissey apologists you feel it's your duty, you've taken the bait and decided to make this a cause all over again.
LET IT GO. Morrissey says some stupid shit sometimes. If you're going to follow him around defending it I hope you brought lunch. It's going to be a long day.
Maybe just let people say it? They're going to anyway and the more attention they get the more they'll do it. Maybe focus on, I don't know, let's see... I mean he has a new record? You could talk about that?

Yes, I think you're 100% right about this. Justified or not, there's no way he can play UK shows for at least the rest of this year.

Oddly, I was driving around in the warm(ish) weather today with the windows down, with California Son playing, and it felt transgressive - for the first time since the early days of the Smiths, when playing those records risked (for me, at least) getting beaten up at school for being weird/gay/whatever.

And as others have mentioned, I wonder if - in some twisted way - this appeals to Morrissey. The outsider art / victimhood aspect of it all. It would be so, so easy to climb down, back off a bit - but he doesn't.

Yeah, the danger of listening to Morrissey in public :rolleyes:

Yesterday I was walking down the street listening to Morrissey on my headphones and I had to keep looking over my shoulder because it honestly felt like I had just robbed a bank.

When I finally made it home my heart was pounding, and I ended up sitting with my back to the front door; just shivering and panting for 30 minutes before I dared to get up again. I still can't believe I got away with it :fist:

Even if he never plays a large arena again in the UK, he'll still fill smaller venues for a few more yrs at least.

I think the size of the shows is irrelevant . it's more that I don't think promoters will want to associate themselves with him at least for quiet some time if ever .

Tiny brain Tim thinks he can bully people to comply and question nothing, morrissey has betrayed no-one and morrissey fans are not what he says they are so he can f***off with that to

The severity exists only because of social media, 24 hour news and gossip online, and people's growing intolerance of anything truly radical now that consumer culture is blending us all into one mass with only one endorsed way of thinking.

People who know nothing about Morrissey's views are calling him a racist. It's what happens now. Sheep-like moralistic condemnation.

that's also very true yes

Tim Jonze can only speak on his own behalf, there are legions of Morrissey fans who don't feel the slightest bit betrayed. I don't agree with Morrissey on all his political views, but everyone's entitled to their opinion, even to the politically incorrect ones.

I think the size of the shows is irrelevant . it's more that I don't think promoters will want to associate themselves with him at least for quiet some time if ever .
How long have you been saying that for?

Zionism really is evil

What a horrible old bastard. Does this man even know that Jeremy Corbyn himself is ethnically Jewish? Corbyn's mother was at the East London Cable Street riots against Mosley's British Union of Fascists in the 30s. But he wouldn't care, because once you oppose these people it doesn't matter whether you are Jewish or not. They want you "sacrificed" (as the man said on the video) and will continue their witch hunt against you until you are toppled and no longer have the power or position to criticise them.

Last edited:
He was a clever guy but a wrong un. He fell under Hitler's spell and wanted to introduce real fascism into this country like a lot of those toffs of the time.
Yes, but context is everything. Capitalism had virtually collapsed in the 30s and half the country was out of work. People were desperate and looking for new solutions. It's rarely mentioned that 5 million people were unemployed in Germany, then Hitler came along and reduced this number to zero and performed an economic miracle for his country by working outside of the normal banking system. This outraged the global money men and made leaders like Winston Churchill envious. Hence war and 70 million people dead. Mosley was anti-war after fighting in WW1 and seeing it for what it was. A war instigated by bankers that brought only mass-death.

On saying that I don't agree with all of Mosley's ideas. But he was someone who genuinely wanted to help the working class, but his name is now forever tainted (like anyone who praised Hitler - even though he only praised him before the war). He was definitely a character and a maverick.

Last edited:
What a horrible old bastard. Does this man even know that Jeremy Corbyn himself is ethnically Jewish? Corbyn's mother was at the East London Cable Street riots against Mosley's British Union of Fascists in the 30s. But he wouldn't care, because once you oppose these people it doesn't matter whether you are Jewish or not. They want you "sacrificed" (as the man said on the video) and will continue their witch hunt against you until you are toppled and no longer have the power or position to criticise them.
On what planet is Jeremy Corbyn Jewish?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom