Billy Bragg: long statement re: Morrissey on Facebook (7 July, 2019)

"Last Sunday, while much of the British media were lauding Stormzy’s Glastonbury headline show as epoch defining, Morrissey posted a white supremacist video on his website, accompanied by the comment ‘Nothing But Blue Skies for Stormzy...The Gallows for Morrissey’. The nine minute clip lifted footage from the grime star’s Pyramid Stage performance while arguing that the British establishment are using him to promote multiculturalism at the expense of white culture.

The YouTube channel of the video’s author contains other clips expressing , among other things, homophobia, racism and misogyny - left wing women of colour are a favourite target for his ire. There are also clips expounding the Great Replacement Theory, a far right conspiracy trope which holds that there is a plot of obliterate the white populations of Europe and North America through mass immigration and cultural warfare.

My first thought was to wonder what kind of websites Morrissey must be trawling in order to be able to find and repost this clip on the same day that it appeared online? I came home from Glastonbury expecting to see some angry responses to his endorsement of white supremacism. Instead, the NME published an interview with Brandon Flowers in which the Killers lead singer proclaimed that Morrissey was still “a king”, despite being in what Flowers recognised was “hot water” over his bigoted comments.

As the week progressed, I kept waiting for some reaction to the white supremacist video, yet none was forthcoming. Every time I googled Morrissey, up would pop another article from a music website echoing the NME’s original headline: ‘The Killers Brandon Flowers on Morrissey: ‘He’s Still A King’. I’m well aware from personal experience how easy it is for an artist to find something you’ve said in the context of a longer discourse turned into an inflammatory headline that doesn’t reflect your genuine views on the subject at hand, but I have to wonder if Flowers really understands the ramifications of Morrissey’s expressions of support for the far right For Britain Party?

As the writer of the powerful Killers song ‘Land of the Free’, does he know that For Britain wants to build the kind of barriers to immigration that Flowers condemns in that lyric?
Party leader Anne Marie Walters maintains ties with Generation Identity, the group who both inspired and received funds from the gunman who murdered 50 worshippers at a Christchurch mosque. How does that sit with the condemnation of mass murder by lone gunman in ‘Land of the Free’?

As an explicitly anti-Muslim party, For Britain opposes the religious slaughter of animals without the use of a stun gun, a policy that has given Morrissey a fig leaf of respectability, allowing him to claim he supports them on animal welfare grounds. Yet if that is his primary concern, why does he not support the UK’s Animal Welfare Party, which stood candidates in the recent European elections?

Among their policies, the AWF also aim to prohibit non-stun slaughter. If his only interest was to end this practice, he could have achieved this without the taint of Islamophobia by endorsing them. They are a tiny party, but Morrissey’s vocal support would have given the animal rights movement a huge boost of publicity ahead of the polls.

Instead, he expresses support for anti-Muslim provocateurs, posts white supremacist videos and, when challenged, clutches his pearls and cries “Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me”. His recent claim that “as a so-called entertainer, I have no rights” is a ridiculous position made all the more troubling by the fact that it is a common trope among right-wing reactionaries.

The notion that certain individuals are not allowed to say certain things is spurious, not least because it is most often invoked after they’ve made their offensive comments. Look closely at their claims and you’ll find that what they are actually complaining about is the fact that they have been challenged.

The concept of freedom pushed by the new generation of free speech warriors maintains that the individual has the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want, with no comeback. If that is the definition of freedom, then one need look no further than Donald Trump’s Twitter feed as our generation’s beacon of liberty. Perhaps Lady Liberty should be replaced in New York Harbour with a colossal sculpture of the Donald, wearing a toga, holding a gaslight.

Worryingly, Morrissey’s reaction to being challenged over his support of For Britain, his willingness to double down rather than apologise for any offence caused, suggests a commitment to a bigotry that tarnishes his persona as the champion of the outsider. Where once he offered solace to the victims of a cruel and unjust world, he now seems to have joined the bullies waiting outside the school gates.

As an activist, I’m appalled by this transformation, but as a Smiths fan, I’m heartbroken.

It was Johnny Marr’s amazing guitar that drew me to the band, but I grasped that Morrissey was an exceptional lyricist when I heard ‘Reel Around the Fountain’. Ironically, it was a line that he had stolen that won my affections. “I dreamt about you last night and I fell out of bed twice” is spoken by Jimmy, the black sailor, to his white teenage lover, Jo, in Sheila Delaney’s play ‘A Taste of Honey’.

The 1961 movie, starring Rita Tushingham was an early example of a post-war British society that would embrace multi-racial relationships (and homosexuality too). By pilfering that particular line for the song, Morrissey was placing the Smiths in the great tradition of northern working class culture that may have been in the gutter, but was looking at the stars. Yet, by posting a white supremacist video in which he is quoted as saying “Everyone prefers their own race”, Morrissey undermines that line, erasing Jo and Jimmy and all those misfit lovers to whom the Smiths once gave so much encouragement.

A week has passed since the video appeared on Morrissey’s website and nothing has been written in the media to challenge his position. Today it was reported that research by the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a UK based anti-extremist organisation, reveals that the Great Replacement Theory is being promoted so effectively by the far right that it is entering mainstream political discourse.

That Morrissey is helping to spread this idea - which inspired the Christchurch mosque murderer - is beyond doubt. Those who claim that this has no relevance to his stature as an artist should ask themselves if, by demanding that we separate the singer from the song, they too are helping to propagate this racist creed."

Regards,
FWD.

172730_10150091526872471_8291732_o.jpg

Media coverage:
Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leftist to real world dictionary:

Dog whistle = saying something that is suggestably inaccurate.

Racist = someone who denegrates someone based on their race

Entryist = someone who infiltrates with a hidden a agenda

White supremacist = anyone who believes that those with white skin are better than anyone and everyone else.

Arsehole = see above

So, f***fountain, Hatemann etc. one of your heroes, the despicable Yaxley-Lennon, has the begging bowl out "I beg Donald Trump, I beg the American government, to look at my case", is his cry for asylum in the US. Yaxley-Lennon continues ... "we love the United States, I have no future here [in the UK]." Spoken like a true patriot, but not of the UK - a place he's content to leave in a heartbeat. He's just another alt-right flip-flopper. Typical!

He, like you, is a self-serving twat that cares nothing of England or the UK. His aim is exclusively about making money from the dull and duller.

Remember when Farage tried to do a similar thing about a year or so ago?

The London knife crime problem will never be solved. Glasgow had a knife/gang culture for 200 years and it was nipped in the bud by police mercilessly kicking down doors, targeting and specifically harassing known offenders continuously. Lots of random stop and search. The courts were allowed to hand down massive sentences in prison. All these measures made it seem not worthwhile being involved in knife crime.

But in London such robust tactics would never be implemented. Why? Because they would have to specifically target one community: young black men (in London it is virtually only a young black problem). And there would be cries of RACISM! from the usual liberal troublemakers (Diane Abbott, David Lammy etc) which would grind everything to a halt.

That is the reason why the murder rate in London is going up and up (four or five street murders in the last 24 hours - which is heading towards US levels never before seen in London) and the people in power are just shrugging their shoulders and walking away.

Nobody wants to be 'the racist' who has to implement any realistic measures that might help things.

As with everything else you know f*** all about Glasgow you ignorant waste of a twat. Evidently, you know nothing of Stop and Search in Scotland, but I'm not at all surpise by that. Few would be. Rather than explain the painstaking amount of time invested by multiple agencies to create a cultural shift using various methods including amnesty, you go straight for your tainted alt-right trigger words. I think you'll find that gangs (as would be described today), associated with knives in Glasgow, raised their heads in the late 1950s and became a significant problem in the 1960s. I know you don't like to use arithmetic, because it wasn't 'invented' by a white man, but I think you'll find it's considerably less than 200 years. But, hey, let's not have facts get in the way of a racist rant, eh?

There are cries of RACISM in London because that where you, a rabid racist, lives. Please leave. Leave this forum. Leave London. Leave England. Leave the UK. Do, what will be described from today as a Yaxley-Lennon and f*** off!

The real truth is, that he has given permission to use his name to attrack more people to be part of For Britain. Unfortunately, some Morrissey blinded followers will join, as we all know many fans do what their music icon commands no matter what. This is absolutely out of my believe! I am one of those heartbroken fans. All this years he was being anti system and now... Well, well, well! I feel like a vegan dad who's son decides to become a butcher and all the loving memories crumble on a cold and bloody marble floor.

mozzerbrit.jpg

The real truth is, that he has given permission to use his name to attrack more people to be part of For Britain. Unfortunately, some Morrissey blinded followers will join, as we all know many fans do what their music icon commands no matter what. This is absolutely out of my believe! I am one of those heartbroken fans. All this years he was being anti system and now... Well, well, well! I feel like a vegan dad who's son decides to become a butcher and all the loving memories crumble on a cold and bloody marble floor.

View attachment 50881

Like you - I was crushed. Now ... I'm just pissed that right wing propaganists feel they have a home here.

This whole ”intersectionality” thing is mind boggling. All of you calling morrissey a bigot because he opposes this being accepted in his country as “multiculturalism”? You are all mindless, virtue signaling idiots. Wake up. Morrissey is 100% spot-on.

Are you going to tell any of the four Smiths are still friends with Bragg as of today. I don't think so.
I believe that Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr are still friends with Billy Bragg seeing as they both follow Billy Bragg on Twitter. Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr obviously still like Billy Bragg and are interested in what he has to say.

I don't think Morrissey or Mike Joyce have ever really been friends with Billy Bragg. Maybe I'm wrong about that but either way I don't think Morrissey would be friends with Billy Bragg these days! I actually wonder if Billy Bragg might be a bit jealous of Morrissey and his continued success. Billy Bragg is of a similar generation to Morrissey they both first found success in the 1980s and were both born to working-class families in late 1950s England. Billy Bragg was born in 1957 and Morrissey was born in 1959. Morrissey is still very successful and has a young following. Billy Bragg isn't so successful anymore and doesn't seem to attract new young fans the way Morrissey does. I used to have some respect for Billy Bragg but his constant attacks on a fellow artist of his own generation Morrissey has really upset me. Billy Brag seems to want people to stop listening to Morrissey as a solo artist but I'm guessing Billy still wants people to listen to his own music! Morrissey would never say to people to stop listening to Billy Bragg's music. The other thing that worries me about Billy Bragg is his anti-semitic views he accuses Morrissey of racism yet he seems to be racist himself about Jews this is double standards.

If only Trump would agree to take the poison that is Tommy Robinson off UK streets. Thing is, the patriot, Robinson is begging Trump to provide him with US asylum. He actually used the word beg. Robinson is eager it seems to leave his loyal followers without a second glance backwards. Tommy, now there's a man you can trust.

The info below was posted in another thread today. I think it relevant to this section of this thread.

The initial post

I have 3 kids. 2 of them are gay. They are beautiful, well adjusted kids. This post isn't about sexuality being taught in schools - which it should be - it's about a right-winger trying to provoke racist reactions by using the Muslim parents at this school as bait. Don't bite!

If f***fase gave a toss about equality where was the post in support of the LGBT community when the obnoxious posts by reelfountain and hoffmann surfaced about Pride London. For days this despicable pair have used just about every form of homophobia to back up their open hatred of the LGBT community. It's clear to anyone that based on their comments they could never have been Smiths or Morrissey fans. Whatever their game they can f*** off.

Morrissey is not my most favourite of people right now but you bastards are putting my kids at increased risk of harm and I despise you for that. Claim ignorance or righteousness but your posts are sickening and have no place on a site that is supposedly for Morrissey and Smiths fans.

The response from Hoffman

2 eh? :crazy: Oh dear.

Hoffman has once again proven himself to be the hypocrite he is. On one hand damning Muslims parents for challenging state run schools re: LGBT education and on the other hand ridiculing a parent with 2 gay children.

Hoffman and Reelfountain have both been challenged recently about their homophobic rhetoric in this forum. Those challenging them, myself included, raised the issue of incitement to hate crime. The photo below was published today but I believe the incident took place last Thursday. It’s a startling example of LGBT hate crime on our streets and a hate crime that both Hoffmann and Reelfountain endorse with their LGBT hate speech.

skynews-ellie-mae-mulholland_4713335.jpg

As with everything else you know f*** all about Glasgow you ignorant waste of a twat. Evidently, you know nothing of Stop and Search in Scotland, but I'm not at all surpise by that. Few would be. Rather than explain the painstaking amount of time invested by multiple agencies to create a cultural shift using various methods including amnesty, you go straight for your tainted alt-right trigger words. I think you'll find that gangs (as would be described today), associated with knives in Glasgow, raised their heads in the late 1950s and became a significant problem in the 1960s. I know you don't like to use arithmetic, because it wasn't 'invented' by a white man, but I think you'll find it's considerably less than 200 years. But, hey, let's not have facts get in the way of a racist rant, eh?

There are cries of RACISM in London because that where you, a rabid racist, lives. Please leave. Leave this forum. Leave London. Leave England. Leave the UK. Do, what will be described from today as a Yaxley-Lennon and f*** off!

The dreadful Hatefountain has a knack of repeatedly getting it wrong. This brings to mind the quote by Benjamin Franklin: We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remian stupid.

The dreadful Hatefountain has a knack of repeatedly getting it wrong. This brings to mind the quote by Benjamin Franklin: We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remian stupid.

Ooft! What an own goal that was. Silly me. ... anyway with blushes calmed here's that quote again without the hilarious typo ...

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

He's 100% spot-on on all points. Though the racist bastards on here will disagree.
Just because you call someone Racist does not mean you win a debate, And does not make your opinion any more valid. In fact the more you use the word the less it means. Not everything is that Black & White.

Leftist to real world dictionary:

Dog whistle = saying something that is factually accurate.

Racist = anybody you disagree with.

Entryist = anybody with a strong opinion.

White supremacist = anyone who believes in the historical value of European culture.

Well said✌️

Say Billy Bragg I would happily loose both of my legs if it meant you could be Free. ✌️

Err..no. He enjoys things if he's either (a) successful chart-wise or (b) making money. Nothing else matters for him.
I decided to go with the probably because I don't know but it seems likely that he would be glad that he's being talked about.

You decided to make statements of fact based on opinion and also turned it into a very black and white issue leaving no room for any alternatives. You constantly do this in a way that comes across as someone who is very angry about everything Morrissey related. You attack everything and everyone unless they agree with your presentation of facts.

This is why your posts are constantly down-voted as "Troll".

You might try a more communicative approach because the court of public opinion here on this forum is not impressed with your current methods.

This whole ”intersectionality” thing is mind boggling. All of you calling morrissey a bigot because he opposes this being accepted in his country as “multiculturalism”? You are all mindless, virtue signaling idiots. Wake up. Morrissey is 100% spot-on.

This is more of what "Far Right" looks like in America. I think the UK version of the term is pretty tame. If Morrissey was supporting For Britain and they were anti-immigration, anti-women's rights, anti-choice and homophobic I'd say.. "Wow, Moz has gone far right.. WTF????"

If only Trump would agree to take the poison that is Tommy Robinson off UK streets. Thing is, the patriot, Robinson is begging Trump to provide him with US asylum. He actually used the word beg. Robinson is eager it seems to leave his loyal followers without a second glance backwards. Tommy, now there's a man you can trust.
Are you a fan of Morrissey? This thread is meant to be about what Billy Bragg (aka "the Bard of Barking") has recently said about Morrissey.

You are talking about Tommy Robinson's case and other stuff which seems a bit off topic. Morrissey has shown some support for Tommy Robinson in the past mainly though to do with freedom of speech issues. Morrissey has also shown some respect for Nigel Farage mainly as a leader and as a fellow Brexiteer. I'm personally NOT a supporter of Tommy Robinson or of Nigel Farage. I voted to remain within the EU so I'm what is known as a 'Remainer'. I am a fan of Morrissey as an artist and as a fellow human being and I totally respect his views even if some of them are different to mine. I have similar views to Morrissey about the Jewish State of Israel. I have similar views to Morrissey about animal welfare and some other issues.

I like Stormzy's song "Blinded By Your Grace". I'm a Christian and Stormzy is a fellow Christian. Morrissey has also shown a recent interest in Christianity. I'm not really into Grime music in general though as it isn't really my sort of thing. I'm a Christian so I try to stay out of worldly politics as much as I can. I do pray for politicians though from all the political parties. I don't think Morrissey has any issues with Stormzy as a fellow artist it's more to do with the wearing of the Union Jack flag. I remember "Cool Britannia" and "BritPop" back in the 1990s and Morrissey was saying the same things back then. It is ok for Geri Halliwell-Horner (aka "Ginger Spice") or for the BritPop band 'Oasis' (as they were then) to wear the Union Jack flag or to display the flag in some way but not for Morrissey that to me is double standards. I personally wasn't really into the whole 'BritPop' thing back in the 1990s though as it's not really my cup of tea. The other issue I have is that in the past and even today other bands/groups and solo artists have said much more racist and offensive stuff than Morrissey but they can get away with it.

It doesn't bother me how wealthy Billy Bragg, Morrissey, Nigel Farage or Tommy Robinson are as long as they have made their money in an honest way. It doesn't bother me if they want to live in Britain or abroad it is up to them where they choose to live. I personally don't have the money to live abroad even if I wanted to but it doesn't matter to me as I love living in Britain. From what I understand Billy Bragg now lives in Dorset in the UK I don't think he has any homes abroad I'm not sure how wealthy he is. I don't like Billy Bragg anymore because of his constant attacks on Morrissey and his anti-semitic views. I feel Billy Bragg is trying to stay relevant by using Morrissey's name others have also used Morrissey in that way.

I don't know that much about Tommy Robinson and his case but I found an online video on YouTube from a Tommy Robinson supporter from what I understand they are worried that if Tommy Robinson goes back to prison in the UK he will die there and that is why he wants to go to the USA to seek asylum. I do NOT agree with a lot of this ladies views about a lot of things but this is how she feels and I think it is how other Tommy Robinson supporters might feel too:

Unfortunately, there are lots of straight people from different skin colour thinking that way, what it goes agains equality. Many of those are not only muslims, there are christians too and people with no religion. So is not only the muslims. And yes, Morrissey have shown signs of bigotry not only against muslims, also against other nationalities. According to him "everyone prefers their own race".

So, f***fountain, Hatemann etc. one of your heroes, the despicable Yaxley-Lennon, has the begging bowl out "I beg Donald Trump, I beg the American government, to look at my case", is his cry for asylum in the US. Yaxley-Lennon continues ... "we love the United States, I have no future here [in the UK]." Spoken like a true patriot, but not of the UK - a place he's content to leave in a heartbeat. He's just another alt-right flip-flopper. Typical!

He, like you, is a self-serving twat that cares nothing of England or the UK. His aim is exclusively about making money from the dull and duller.

Remember when Farage tried to do a similar thing about a year or so ago?

You would f***ing beg too mate if you were looking at 2 years inside an English prison - they are all overrun with jihadi extremists. Even the screws live in fear.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom