Billy Bragg on free speech, Morrissey, and the resurgence of the Far Right - GQ Magazine

New GQ Article by Billy Bragg:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/music/article/billy-bragg-interview-morrissey-free-speech

Excerpt: "So, call it what it is, says Bragg. Morrissey is now a man who knowingly shares white supremacist material on his platforms and, when challenged, doubles down. And while he is free to do so, that doesn’t mean he’s a victim when there’s a backlash. “Liberty without accountability is impunity, which is the most dangerous kind of freedom. Freedom isn't a universal good. There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”

New GQ Article by Billy Bragg:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/music/article/billy-bragg-interview-morrissey-free-speech

Excerpt: "So, call it what it is, says Bragg. Morrissey is now a man who knowingly shares white supremacist material on his platforms and, when challenged, doubles down. And while he is free to do so, that doesn’t mean he’s a victim when there’s a backlash. “Liberty without accountability is impunity, which is the most dangerous kind of freedom. Freedom isn't a universal good. There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”
Mass immigration vs measured immigration according to the resources and employment needs of the host country?
What do you think Billy? Or does level headed contemplation of such matters amount to racism in your humble opinion?

"There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”

Not as dangerous as some beardy sweaty stinking foreign locals mowing down pedestrians on London Bridge.

Oh dear. Quite aside from the overt racism here, you know the people who committed the London bridge attack were not 'foreign', right?

If there really is a resurgence of the far right it is because of two reasons:

1) The left have embraced the mass idiocy of identity politics which alienates ordinary people.

2) The left have deserted the working class and respond with accusations of racism or bigotry at their every voicing of a concern.

I haven't seen the video (don't hang on his words/not a sycophant).

But I think I hear what you are saying and appreciate those words. To be clear: this is not hero worship on my part. I could be guilty of that misguided fanboy-ism for Morrissey, based on artistic expression, but if you wanted my honest take on the character of Tommy Robinson: he could very well be a hot-headed opportunist.

However, one bad does not negate the other. I'm not clear on UK authoritarianism in general. They forcibly extracted Julian Assange from the Ecuadorian Embassy in London recently. In the states, we typically hear of the police coming to the homes of perpetrators of wrong-think, etc.

I'm very encouraged that you are "anti-authoritarian" ,but unfortunately, in today's upside-down world, an 'anti-fascist' will bash a gay man in the states. I am in no way suggesting you are approving of, or involved in this, but that is where we are.

Thanks for the insight into some of those details. I will look into that and educate myself.

The "character of Tommy Robinson" is exactly that, a character. The man behind the character is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon. Anyone who claims 'Robinson' has been stitched up and jailed by the 'man' is rather foolish. Why? Because 'Tommy Robinson' doesn't actually exist.

From the article:

"What most upsets people, he thinks, and what also motivates the apologism for Morrissey’s behaviour, is the long-held respect for a man who seemingly always sided with the minority and the outcast. 'There was something in there that, for a generation, really articulated a kind of misfit mentality that was anti-macho, anti-capitalist, anti-war, anti-carnivore. He joined a lot of dots as a person. So to have all that peeled back... When I say that I’m heartbroken, I speak as a Smiths fan.'"

But who are the misfits now? Even the Tories are woke. Comfortable consensus leftism has won. They - the likes of Billy Bragg - have no idea what it feels like to have constant bombardment from the media the subtext of which is that someone like you should not exist.

The left, via identitarianism, has converged with capitalism, since all identities are now so easily commodified, and the programme is to destroy traditional communities so that there's nothing left but submission to one's employers and the opiate of consumerism.

1) I have embraced the mass idiocy of populist politics which alienates ordinary people.

2) I have deserted the working class and respond to all concerns with racist, bigoted, homophobic and paedohile apologist comments.

I can't argue with that.

1) The left have embraced the mass idiocy of identity politics which alienates ordinary people.

2) The left have deserted the working class and respond with accusations of racism or bigotry at their every voicing of a concern.

941400_1.jpg

cropped-stopracismsm-1-1.jpg

77cdceb556c5e98102cd38c95b6f591f.png

Bragg has been reciting the same broken record since the Thatcher-bashing 80s. The world has move on (and he's moved from scuzzy London into a de luxe country pile) but the record keeps turning. And will. Forever.

"There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”

Not as dangerous as some beardy sweaty stinking foreign locals mowing down pedestrians on London Bridge.
Then again, slamming your cock in a door isn't as dangerous as shooting yourself in the head. Doesn't make it a good idea, though.

I have been reciting the same broken record since December 2017 when I entered this forum. I am envious of and will actively attack the success of those I perceive to be the enemy - those that live in and pay their taxes in the UK. I will blindly defend any and all alt-right statements from those that do not live in the UK and actively avoid paying taxes. My broken record keeps keeps turning. And will. Forever.

True. So true.

It's Bragg's use of the word 'knowingly', that's grated with me. The only time you really hear that word is in a court of law when someone knowingly does something wrong. I do think Morrissey could tone it down a bit now though. We know his views and there are other things to think about.

Bragg is a 3rd rate concern troll who is using the tactic of virtue signaling to accumulate social capital for himself. It's VERY boring. Gonna be fun when Morrissey neutralizes him. I hope that happens. I'd help.

Oh dear. Quite aside from the overt racism here, you know the people who committed the London bridge attack were not 'foreign', right?

Skinny u a right tool most if not all of the time... The evil London Bridge perpetrators were

Zaghba who was born in Morocco
Redouane Morrocian or possibly Libian in the UK on an Irish residential card
Butt a Pakistani born British citizen

Now do us all a favour be quiet.

I think that by now Uncklewhatever should be following Billy Bragg fansite, blog or whatever, not Morrissey.
But he wants to save the world... oh so that makes sense. Good luck U.N.C.L.E.

:rolleyes:

bragg main talent is his ability to annoy. musically hes is super sucky. couldnt write himself out of sack of pizza pops.
he should get :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: to put some sucko music to his sucko 'lyrics'.:sweet:
they make a good left loon couple, both being very annoying.:clap:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom