Billy Bragg on free speech, Morrissey, and the resurgence of the Far Right - GQ Magazine

New GQ Article by Billy Bragg:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/music/article/billy-bragg-interview-morrissey-free-speech

Excerpt: "So, call it what it is, says Bragg. Morrissey is now a man who knowingly shares white supremacist material on his platforms and, when challenged, doubles down. And while he is free to do so, that doesn’t mean he’s a victim when there’s a backlash. “Liberty without accountability is impunity, which is the most dangerous kind of freedom. Freedom isn't a universal good. There are kinds of freedom that are really, really dangerous.”

i'll meet you under the iron bridge...

374D88F2-FD61-413E-AFC2-857984E2A99A.gif

Hold on, I’m coming!

How difficult is it for you to understand? He broke the law - he goes to jail.

No one is silencing him. Like Morrissey, he can say and do what he wants. But his actions and words have consequences. REAL journalists know the boundaries. Little Nazi chancers like him are too thick to understand.

Again - how difficult is it to understand - he broke the law, he goes to jail. Do you advocate breaking the law?

I'm not an expert on the case. Haven't followed it carefully. The gist I get from various coverage is that he is the victim of politically motivated, vindictive "legislating from the bench", as we say in the states.

I've been to jail for having possession of a small personal quantity of marijuana 15 years ago. Did I break the law? I guess. It was a bullshit charge. I'm not a statist and it further inspired my distrust of authoritarianism.

History will have a take on all this as well. But by then, will people be allowed to disagree, or will disagreement be against the law?

I'm not an expert on the case. Haven't followed it carefully. The gist I get from various coverage is that he is the victim of politically motivated, vindictive "legislating from the bench", as we say in the states.

I've been to jail for having possession of a small personal quantity of marijuana 15 years ago. Did I break the law? I guess. It was a bullshit charge. I'm not a statist and it further inspired my distrust of authoritarianism.

History will have a take on all this as well. But by then, will people be allowed to disagree, or will disagreement be against the law?

No it wasn't. it was very clear. He broke the law, jeopardized a case, and because of that, went to jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48950672

Yaxley-Lennon committed a crime, namely contempt of court. The judge in that case expressly told him not to do it again or he'd go to prison. HE DID IT AGAIN. Tell me what the problem here is, because I'm sure that if the same thing happened in the US, the same outcome would result.

Yaxley-Lennon committed a crime, namely contempt of court. The judge in that case expressly told him not to do it again or he'd go to prison. HE DID IT AGAIN. Tell me what the problem here, because I'm sure that if the same thing happened in the US, the same outcome would result.

You think it's black and white? It's every possible shade.

Like I alluded to, that judge was an authoritarian. He can get f*ked.

In these cases, yep, it's pretty black and white.

Law to me is like reasoned, practical, and principled tenants of the social contract with the governing body that keeps the peace. Things like traffic laws, crimes against people's safety, well-being property, and also positive laws: such as the states' bill of rights.

This case is more like the judge is Judge Dredd: "I am the law!"

Law to me is like reasoned, practical, and principled tenants of the social contract with the governing body that keeps the peace. Things like traffic laws, crimes against people's safety, well-being property, and also positive laws: such as the states' bill of rights.

This case is more like the judge is Judge Dredd: "I am the law!"
Well all I can say is that you don't know very much about the law.

I've known enough to know two things (for quite some time):
  • It can be, and often is, politically wielded to empower the state
  • (In the case of victimless crimes) it is most often subjective grey-area bullshit

How many times do you need to be told?

HE BROKE THE LAW and went to jail.

What don't you understand about that?

No it wasn't. it was very clear. He broke the law, jeopardized a case, and because of that, went to jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48950672
rod liddle jeopardized the the
Stephen Lawrence trial-£2000 fine.
daily mirror jeopardized the levi beilfeld trial £60000 fine.
don't follow the political crap on here but thought I would be fair on both sides.

Last edited:
And to be crystal clear, I'm not mocking the state of the UK. Even though I'm a yank, I love so much of the culture I have received from you. Almost all my favorite bands through the ages were British. So much of the culture, wit, and expression that meant something.

It has truly been sad to see such an authoritarian shadow descend upon such a beautiful country.

All the best (mainly just tenuous hope).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom