Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
It was definitely sold out

Nearly but there were a few empty seats near me, only 20 or so. Highlight for me was when the Morrissey chants went up and he said, really there is no need, just being here is enough. Made me realise that for all the crap he spouts, he really does appreciate the turn out he gets. Tonight was the first time I have been seated at a Morrissey gig ( although was seated at my first Smiths gig) and in really enjoyed it although I did think about how many punters he would pull if he did a greatest hits tour it back to back album gigs, although it’s probably not his style.

As the ticket I was gifted cost nill - seating seemed ok. That said... The 'pit' was lifeless, stagnant and still.
He was incredibly good. Jack The Ripper was similar, but the front row audience was dreck - and I say that as someone who saw the Sisters of Mercy - pre Tony Sputnik James - in order to see the Smiths.
If you recall moving at this gig - many will say otherwise....
FWD.
Its all a bit weird isn't it? People pay good money to see Moz and then stand like rotting planks with no expressions on their empty faces. The pod people from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers are more animated. If the excuse is 'I only like the old songs' then (1) f*** off into the past where you belong, (2) You're still barely moving and he's playing How Soon Is Now!!!, and (3) Have some self respect and at least try to pretend you're at a concert and not back home being gummed by your toothless granny (which you probably prefer cos it's easier than standing).

I loved the show, loved it!

I could have stood for a bit more man flesh , has he stopped flashing his chest?? why. discuss.

When did Moz fans become become so soft? 5 years ago it was almost moshing . Now I'm being shouted at by quiffed 23 olds and their delicate girlfriends for gently and politely easing past. f*** this
Aww stop. I was very young at The Cure prayer tour and there was a right proper mosh pit with people kicking each other and chesting each other across the floor. Flipping brilliant. Now its gone all American 'don't invade my space'. Next we'll be wearing rubber gloves and spraying dettol at anyone who gets too close. Neurotic nitwits.

Its all a bit weird isn't it? People pay good money to see Moz and then stand like rotting planks with no expressions on their empty faces. The pod people from Invasion Of The Body Snatchers are more animated. If the excuse is 'I only like the old songs' then (1) f*** off into the past where you belong, (2) You're still barely moving and he's playing How Soon Is Now!!!, and (3) Have some self respect and at least try to pretend you're at a concert and not back home being gummed by your toothless granny (which you probably prefer cos it's easier than standing).

I honestly think the venues have a lot to do with it, the floor tonight was rammed but a lot of the audience accessing the floor seem to be late teens early 20’s who want to say “i went to a Morrissey gig” I think in venues like the Apollo in Manchester, they would be pushed out of the way which would make for a proper mosh pit.

Nearly but there were a few empty seats near me, only 20 or so. Highlight for me was when the Morrissey chants went up and he said, really there is no need, just being here is enough. Made me realise that for all the crap he spouts, he really does appreciate the turn out he gets. Tonight was the first time I have been seated at a Morrissey gig ( although was seated at my first Smiths gig) and in really enjoyed it although I did think about how many punters he would pull if he did a greatest hits tour it back to back album gigs, although it’s probably not his style.

I agree. When I saw him in d.c he thanked fans and in Glasgow he thanked fans. He does appreciate his position I believe

A cold Tuesday night on the outskirts of Birmingham with little to no drinking establishments does not make for a great gig experience (imo)

The ones that get me are those who think that just because they are pathetic losers with no life who have the time to wait in line outside for 24 hours they get to keep their place at the front. I dragged a few out of the way when I turned up 10 mins from the start. Someone told me the sad f***s even have a list where people are allocated a place in the queue? Sad c***s, it means nothing to anyone not on the list and if they want to be in front of you they will push their way through!

A cold Tuesday night on the outskirts of Birmingham with little to no drinking establishments does not make for a great gig experience (imo)

I’m tucked up in The Hilton 2 minutes walk from The Genting Arena. So convenient.

Friendly staff, great view from the seats, good sound, wide choice of food and (alcoholic) drinks, free WiFi. What’s not to like?

As for Moz...new stuff sounded great. His voice was strong. The ad-libbing/constant changing of lyrics interrupted the flow of a sing along a bit but all in all a great evening on the outskirts of Birmingham!

Honestly- this stretch would have me virtually comatose.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed

That's what? 25-30 minutes of... Well... That.

He needs to f***ing drop the filler tunes, everyone started heading to the toilets during i bury the living, world peace, who will protect us from police and chain gang. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT

Lol gotta love it when an anon makes a post like this. I was 2 wows from the back, nothing was retracted although I do agree it was not sold out. It was probably 95% full though which surprised me to be fair. Will post further thoughts tomorrow tomorrow but I was genuinely impressed with the new stuff live and also intrigued by how well it was received.

You were 2 rows from the back, you didn't see the retracted seats. I was standing, I saw. I loved the gig, I've seen him loads of times. Just saying it as it was.

I enjoyed it , he was as good as he was at Leeds he took slightly longer to warm to the task in hand. Delighted he brought back Speedway even though he seemed to miss his cue a couple of times. The crowd was similar in that they took a while to get into it. Not as raucous as the Leeds most likely lads , they didn't have as long to get revved up I suppose. I missed the expensive bar as I left my wallet in the car, serendipity was on my side. It wasn't sold out you could buy tickets from the venue on the day. There were 6 seats next to mine empty. It's got me thinking , should I go for the hatrick seeing Patrick for the tour......

Been reflecting on our Morrissey years with my mates in the Crowne plaza after tonight’s gig. We first saw Morrissey as the singer in the Smiths in 1984 when we were in our Twenties. There were probably 2 to 3 thousand at that gig which was The Queen Is Dead Tour we think. So its pretty impressive that 30 odd years later he can pull nigh on 15000 people on a shitty winters night in Birmingham. I really detest some of the shit that Morrissey comes out with bit credit where credits due, he can pull a bloody impressive crowd.

Everywhere is becoming like the States. The only places that aren't are those currently being bombed.

But if we just send enough Freedom over, they'll love America! No sarcasm there. None at all.

You were 2 rows from the back, you didn't see the retracted seats. I was standing, I saw. I loved the gig, I've seen him loads of times. Just saying it as it is

Ah ok then, strange how no one else saw this? Funny how people just drop into the site to post shit like this lol.

Last edited:
The first time in years Birmingham had a visit from white people I reckon.

I maintain that gig crowds have become more santiaised. I was begging for a collective leap up and down, a chorus anything. Awful. How have crowds changed so much in half a decade?

I honestly think the venues have a lot to do with it, the floor tonight was rammed but a lot of the audience accessing the floor seem to be late teens early 20’s who want to say “i went to a Morrissey gig” I think in venues like the Apollo in Manchester, they would be pushed out of the way which would make for a proper mosh pit.

This^^^. There was a time (I know it may be hard to believe) when people could actually get through the day without a smart phone. How do I know this...because they didn't exist!

Now it is all about selfies, snapchat, instagram and other self-indulgent activities rather than participating in the here and now. Too cool to show emotion, but rather too afraid of what others would think if they were to let themselves go. So in summation "these kids today!" ;):D

I maintain that gig crowds have become more santiaised. I was begging for a collective leap up and down, a chorus anything. Awful. How have crowds changed so much in half a decade?

I think the crowd effects Morrissey but why do you care so much about the crowd. I go to see Morrissey and he is always in a good mood.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom