Bitterness and resentment - What's that all about?

Lost

I've sensed a lot of bitterness on here and other places recently over the cancelled gigs.
Let me say straight away that I'd be pretty disappointed and pissed off too if a gig i was looking forward to was cancelled.
But at the end of the day if he's got problems with his throat and the doctor's are telling him that he shouldn't sing, what can the guy do?
To be fair to him he's toured almost non-stop in the last three or four years.
I for one appreciate that.
He doesn't need to tour. He's a wealthy man who could kick it all into touch whenever he wants, so i can only imagine he must do it for the love of it and i'm sure he's frustrated too at having to cancel and postpone gigs and would rather be out there singing.

Re: Bitterness and resentment. What's that all about?

well that was nice of you to say dude :clap:
but dont be surprised if the whiners here call you a sycophantic slag :eek::lbf:

ps: no, not me, if Moz never plays again, i'll survive :thumb:

Very similar to what I said on another thread :) And it's nice to know there are a few more fans here like you that are not such fair weather fans.

Anyway I understand cuz I miss the Viva Hate days too but at least we had them to miss didn't we?

Not directed at you Pachinko, just saying in general -

Morrissey is neither our friend, lover or family. Yes it does feel like a personal relationship sometimes but it isn't really. He feels a certain way about life and we share that outlook on some level but that's where the relationship ends. He is under no obligation to patch things up with us. Just because his voice and words feel personal coming out of our speakers that doesn't mean if he says or does the wrong thing that he means it personally. He's touring because he wants to tour which means he wants to sing for us. If he's sick he can't sing. It's as simple as that.

Morrissey doesn't owe us anything. I mean for god's sake he wrote a song about it. I can understand the complaining about him canceling gigs but if he is canceling it means he tours where you guys live. Spare a thought for us Down (n' out) Unders cuz he doesn't cancel gigs here because he doesn't tour here :(

I'm not trying to dumb down the connection between Morrissey and his fans I'm just trying to see things clearly and write about it. Yes this thread was originally about someone who has given up and it's probably not the first or last time that person has given up on someone but if you consider rightly or wrongly Morrissey a friend then as a friend cut him some slack. If you don't consider him a friend then don't take it so personally when he doesn't live up to your expectations.

I for one haven't given up on him and never will partly because I don't think he is Superman and he makes mistakes just like the rest of us do. I love Years of Refusal and yes it does still for better or worse say a lot to me about my life :D

Moz doesn't have to tour or make albums but he still does and thk fkn god is all I can say!

Geezus I went on there a bit didn't I? Why is there no YAWN emoticon?

Last edited:

people are disapointed not bitter in my opinion , what you have said is right but its hard for people who make plans to travel round the world

i peronally hope he gets well soon and people get to see him live , lets face it he cant have long to go on the road

Yes I think I am about to have my Berlin concert canceled and although Moz isn't the only reason I am going over there it was a big part of it. So if the gig is canceled then of course I'll be disappointed but life goes on somehow :D

I figured there's more chance of me seeing him in Berlin than him coming to Australia before he retires but I guess I could be wrong unfortunately :(

You do realize by starting yet another thread about the current climate of Moz related whingeing that you are going to get a lot more whingeing on this thread right?

Just warning ya :)

Last edited:
The bitterness stems from years of being a devoted fan and this not being the first time a show has been canceled. I think with all the problems he is having, instead of doing a hit or miss...maybe I'll play tonight or maybe I won't, just postpone the tour and pick up when you are better. Disappointment is a terrible thing. I know it's not the same thing but I'm a Depeche Mode fan and Dave Gahan just recently was ill with a tumor! They put their tour on hold for Dave to have surgery and get better but they rescheduled the dates that they canceled initially and will make it up to their fans. That just shows respect for their fans. I was suppose to see Morrissey in Oakland...that was canceled the day of the show. There was no intention to make it up, hell, there aren't even anymore US dates listed yet, not to mention he went out that night to watch Kristeen Young play...urgh...that's terribly disrespectful to your fans. Ok, so yeah, bitterness is there. I don't think of Morrissey as my friend, I don't think of knowing him personally but in any business, you are expected to deliver your product. Touring is where most artists make their money and if you are going to be flaky and not always show up for your gigs, it's to be expected that you are going to piss a lot of people off.

If Morrissey is truly ill, then we've no right to complain. I was going to go to the Oakland show as well, and I'd love it if he'd do some more US dates, but if he doesn't that's ok. I just want him to get better and be his old self again.

I think with all the problems he is having, instead of doing a hit or miss...maybe I'll play tonight or maybe I won't, just postpone the tour and pick up when you are better.

Why deny people the pleasure they've had from the concerts he has been able to do?
Could it be that he's not cancelled the whole tour because he's hoping his throat will recover and he'll be able to honour some of the gigs and let down as few people as possible?
I think he's in a no win situation here with some people.

I guess it's more a case of people wondering if the cancellations could have been avoided by a more realistic tour schedule.

That said, I am by no means bitter or resentful about it - after all, life goes on, and my life is not defined by Morrissey.

Tags
merge bait
Back
Top Bottom