Black music

j funk

.co.uk
Does anyone like any music that involves black people in away way shape or form?

I have done a Dub Reggae mix.

1. Blackbeard - Electrocharge
2. Scientist - Invaders
3. Prince Jammy - Jammin For Survival
4. Jah Shaka & Twinkle Brothers - Jahovia In Dub Majesty
5. Blackbeard - 'Nough
6. Aswad - Mosman Skank
7. Blackbeard - Jazz
8. Mad Professor & Jah Shaka - Ecological Dub
9. The Upsetters - Cloak & Dagger Version 3
10. Prince Jammy - Round 6
11. Augustus Pablo - Keep On Dubbing
12. King Tubby - No No No
13. Mikey Dread - Resignation Dub
14. Noel Hearne - Kouchie
15. Scientist - Time Passage
16. Scientist - Ten Dangerous Matches
17. King Tubby - Money Dub
18. King Tubby - Assasin Dub
19. Augustus Pablo - Satta Dub
20. King Tubby - Backlash
21. The Upsetters - Pop Goes The Dread Dub
22. Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
23. King Tubby & The Upsetter - At Spanish Town
24. Aswad - Hey Jah Children
25. Aswad - Warrior Charge
26. Lee Perry & Scientist - Kingston Jamaica Dub
27. Scientist - Round 5

110 Mb, 80 mins @ 192kbps

http://www.jfunk.co.uk/jfunkdubmix.mp3

al green, marvin gaye, jay z, bad brains, terry callier, public enemy, james brown, nas, jimmy cliff, sonny boy williamson, miles davis, ray charles, stevie wonder, bob marley...

and lots more

Curtis Mayfield, some James Brown and early 90's gangsta rap,

i hate reggae, but i swear it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with boring shitty music. could you imagine how dreary it would be to play guitar in a reggae band? the only thing more tedious would be getting stuck in a ska band!

There's some fantastic black music out there but let's face it pretty much all music is descended from the blues in some shape or other so I'm not sure how you'd define 'black' music.

King Tubby, Stevie Wonder, early Micheal Jackson, Motown, Stax, Toots, BB King...the list is endless. What I would like to know is how Smokey, Marvin etc would feel about the lack of great singers amongst current black artists. In fact there's very few great vocalists out there at all these days sadly.

Last edited:
I think I really just wanted to call this thread 'Reggae' but was being a bit silly.

Loads of stuff, including Sinitta. Not Bad Brains though. I think they're overrated.

You can understand "black music" either as certain genres that have been defined and dominated by black artists or you can understand it as all music performed by black artists. The former is a loose term of perhaps some usefulness as there are lines of connection between them, the latter a precise but useless one, in my opinion.

I thought early rock'n roll was considered to be an amalgam of black r&B and white folk music? Soul, Gospel, arguably Disco, Blues, Funk, Reggae and hip hop/rap are the genres I associate with the term "black music".

I have to admit I'm not much into most of them. I absolutely detest Gospel - perhaps the only genre where I don't know of any exception in a positive direction. It's the clammy church atmosphere, all the worse for being loud and exuberant. Same with Blues, which to me is simply boring. And Reggae, don't really know why but it's never done anything for me (Ska is a little better). And Hip Hop/Rap, with it's unbearable pervasive culture of crass idiot machismo. I'll make an exception for Public Enemy who achieved an atmosphere of punk-like primal rebellion, but that's about it. Generally speaking, as soon as someone starts rapping, I turn it off. To finish off the negatives, I think what has been passing for soul or R&B since roughly the death of Marvin Gaye is a sad chapter indeed. Whitney Houston ruined soul vocals to the extent that it now seems to be reduced to a ridiculous competition in endless, mewling modulation. Whatever happened to the dignity and restrained power someone like Marvin Gaye put into his singing? I find it impossible to listen to.

Then for the positives. 60s and 70s soul music is absolutely effing amazing, such grace and elegance, such vocals, such musicians, such sublime tunes. How I hope someone will return to that starting point, and just draw a line across the past 2-3 decades. I think Disco is quite underrated, and I acknowledge funk as a key impulse in pop music and rock, without which much indie music would be far more sterile and dull than it is (Barry Adamson!).

cheers

Back
Top Bottom