Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
‘Britain First’ ??? :lbf:

If you’re not gonna work with facts, then don’t bother.

Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit

At least Brandon is being factual.

It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white‘

Not in Morrissey’s view.

I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting’

:cool:

I'm hungry for peanut M&M's and I want one of those family size bags so I can eat handfuls at a time.
900.jpg

I want the sharing size but I don't want to share and there is no need for the resealable pack since I won't be resealing it.

Skinny Kele is upset nobody defended him from Moz.o_O
Why dont you buy him a dog instead of trolling all the time?
send him one of your barking pseudonyms.:lbf:

I'm hungry for peanut M&M's and I want one of those family size bags so I can eat handfuls at a time.
900.jpg

I want the sharing size but I don't want to share and there is no need for the resealable pack since I won't be resealing it.

Okerskinny says the Moz wants his M&M’s in separate packages, that it’s not the ‘British way’ to have all those different colors mingling together like that. :rolleyes:

https://www.nme.com/music-interview...2042-racism-morrissey-brandon-flowers-2553512

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

YAWNORAMA...zzzzzzz...next please.

‘They who should love me
Walk right through me‘

Imagine marking something down because some other musician called your hero a racist. You sad f***s.
Just bored with you. Imagine spending your life pretending you hate racism when you're really just bitter that you're having an identity crisis due to the public statements of a pop star you spent far too much of your life on and still can't pry yourself away from.
You sad f***.

Imagine marking something down because some other musician called your hero a racist. You sad f***s.

No, yr the 'sad f***'; this is all you ever post about.

What a 'sad f***' little parochial life you lead, championing some 'cause' that yu've decided to piggy-back on.

Why don't yu give yourself some time off, Pete?...I'm thinking some form of counselling, rehab & social re-integration. Nobody wants yu when you're like this. Seriously.

Just bored with you. Imagine spending your life pretending you hate racism when you're really just bitter that you're having an identity crisis due to the public statements of a pop star you spent far too much of your life on and still can't pry yourself away from.
You sad f***.

Well said; I've just posted something very similar to what yu've said.

He is, as yu say, one, big, mentally f***ed up, 'sad f***'.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom