Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ve been here since 1997. Are here out of routine. Are here for a man that barely posts on the site. Are here for music you have barely talked about in the last 13 years since the forum changed to vbulletin. All this, and you don’t know how to view a profile to tell how long someone has been a member? :sweatsmile:

I do. But couldn't care enough about you to check.

I can almost relate to Morrissey's devout sense of 1960's nationalism; don't we all share nostalgia for our youth?

The difference, however, is that while I pine for a time when Cadbury's was actually made with real cream, Morrissey supports a political party that wishes their country was whiter.

If you can't find anything abhorrent about that, I truly feel sad for you.

I can almost relate to Morrissey's devout sense of 1960's nationalism; don't we all share nostalgia for our youth?

The difference, however, is that while I pine for a time when Cadbury's was actually made with real cream, Morrissey supports a political party that wishes their country was whiter.

If you can't find anything abhorrent about that, I truly feel sad for you.

What exactly is abhorrent about that? Try telling China or Japan or Vietnam to take in millions of non-natives. It won't go down well.

He forgot to mention his old record label were using people for free instead of paying them a salary. London 2004.

A black musician who just confirmed that people other than white anglosaxons, or deranged hero-worshippers, do in fact, view Morrissey as a bigot.

Will I be surprised when I receive an onslaught of two hundred troll and dislikes? No. There are tons of people that would justify anything. Staunchly.

*Yawn*

I think it is morbid that he devotes so much energy into hating someone. Very morbid.

However, 95% of what he says is actual truth. Even more worrisome is that 95% here don't see it.

Stop and re-read your comment.

I think it is morbid that he devotes so much energy into hating someone. Very morbid.
This I totally agree with, the guy needs sectioning.

However, 95% of what he says is actual truth (hmm big claim...according to who? You?...). Even more worrisome is that 95% here don't see it (no bcos none of us have the intelligence & so we depend on skinny to fill in the gaps. f***ing patronising twat. I'll decide for myself, thanks.)

These are just %'s plucked out of thin air, but I'll add my own '95%' figures for balance:

>95% of us don't want to hear what he has to say...ever (don't call us, we'll call you basis)

&

>95% of us wish he'd simply f*** right off & go spread his poison elsewhere.

What exactly is abhorrent about that? Try telling China or Japan or Vietnam to take in millions of non-natives. It won't go down well.

You are literally posting in a thread about a Brit who happens to be black as well, who feels that Morrissey's comments and political values are a direct affront to him as a human being. And people here mock him saying "I've never heard of him", so he has no idea what he is saying. Sure. I never knew any of those six million jews either, so perhaps Hitler wasn't a bad guy after all. Horseshit.

Hate begets hate. Stop dismissing that notion because it conflicts with your fan narratives.

Not a Bloc Party fan at all, but he’s completely right. Not enough people standing up against the rise of the far right in music. Feels like music is mostly ignoring it. I mean, I love Billy Bragg but we can’t keep looking to him. Where’s the new Clash? I read an article by Michael Stipe saying he was giving the proceeds of his new song to an environmental campaign. That’s great, but I wish it was a much newer artist doing it. I mean, I’m sure there are and I’m just old and I’ve missed them. Anyway, Morrissey is a racist. There. I’ve done my bit.
how can you possibly make comments on people you don't actually know????
Bore off... Band wagon syndrome.. .

Skinny Kele is upset nobody defended him from Moz.o_O
Why dont you buy him a dog instead of trolling all the time?
send him one of your barking pseudonyms.:lbf:

If I were a psychologist I would recommend some people: get a dog. That's the solution to almost all neurosis. A dog, not a cat. You can have twenty cats but still you may need a dog.

You are literally posting in a thread about a Brit who happens to be black as well, who feels that Morrissey's comments and political values are a direct affront to him as a human being. And people here mock him saying "I've never heard of him", so he has no idea what he is saying. Sure. I never knew any of those six million jews either, so perhaps Hitler wasn't a bad guy after all. Horseshit.

Hate begets hate. Stop dismissing that notion because it conflicts with your fan narratives.

I know exactly who he is. I liked some of Bloc Party's stuff. I also know he has form for stirring shit up ie his story about John Lydon which I never believed. I am a fan but I'm not an obsessive like some. There's plenty of stuff that Moz has said or songs hes written I've disagreed with ie..Give the Falklands back to the Argies or songs like the idiotic anti-army songs on the last album. Not sure why Hitler's being brought into the convo.

I know exactly who he is. I liked some of Bloc Party's stuff. I also know he has form for stirring shit up ie his story about John Lydon which I never believed. I am a fan but I'm not an obsessive like some. There's plenty of stuff that Moz has said or songs hes written I've disagreed with ie..Give the Falklands back to the Argies or songs like the idiotic anti-army songs on the last album. Not sure why Hitler's being brought into the convo.

The simple-minded often resort to invoking Godwin’s Law.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom