Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, ppl don't get drawn in any longer with this thread, the skinny pseudonyms have arrived; skinny, trill, & a wild guess at this DavidK who appears from way back in 1997 posing as some all-seeing-all-knowing 'oracle' spreading the gospel according to, guess who?...skinny...FFS. At that point his cover was blown.

..all singing off the same hymn sheet, all too familiar behaviour what with the cross posting mutual support, & 95% this 'n' that shite.

I'm off, had enough of this crap. Take the day off skinny & give us all a rest. You really are in dire need of help, of that I am 100% sure.

Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

I don't know if this man is a musician. Is he "black"? Well, his skin tone is darker so he obviously descends from African people. Like everybody else, I would add, because that is the place from where our species (homo sapiens) comes from. Sooner or later all our people came from there, that's a proven scientific fact, unlike the existence of human races. Or is he "black" because of his black T-shirt? I'm open to a proper explanation. Sorry if I don't admit labelling people with colors, because the complexity of human nature goes far beyond the shade of a skin tone and the continent where your closest ancestors were born. If someone is going to label himself I would ask that person to begin with the intentions of his heart, because "for out of the heart can proceed... blasphemies" (Mat 15.19). Sorry by the biblical reference, KS. You can ruin people's lives and careers with blasphemies, that's why even the most powerful people, even royals, have to go to the courts to stop them.

In summary, I don't know a lot of things about this man, but what I already know for sure -because his own words prove it- is that he is a well accomplished bully who does not hesitate to instigate others to publicly harass Morrissey, a man to whom many Brisith musicians owe at least part of their careers because he contributed to open a path for a lot of them in the international music scene. You don't need to agree with all Morrissey´s views just like you don't have to agree 100% with everybody else in your everyday life to respect them. Those are the basis of freedom of speech and democracy. Morrissey is a living legend, and if you bully your cultural icons you are a moron who doesn't value the luck you have of being the citizen of a western developed democratic country, Mr. "black musician born in the UK and who lives in the UK".

I know exactly who he is. I liked some of Bloc Party's stuff. I also know he has form for stirring shit up ie his story about John Lydon which I never believed. I am a fan but I'm not an obsessive like some. There's plenty of stuff that Moz has said or songs hes written I've disagreed with ie..Give the Falklands back to the Argies or songs like the idiotic anti-army songs on the last album. Not sure why Hitler's being brought into the convo.

You don't agree UK give Argentina our islands back, but at least you are admitting they were stolen by piracy and colonialism. Thanks for the admission, it's kind of heartwarming.

I don't know if this man is a musician. Is he "black"? Well, his skin tone is darker so he obviously descends from African people. Like everybody else, I would add, because that is the place from where our species (homo sapiens) comes from. Sooner or later all our people came from there, that's a proven scientific fact, unlike the existence of human races. Or is he "black" because of his black T-shirt? I'm open to a proper explanation. Sorry if I don't admit labelling people with colors, because the complexity of human nature goes far beyond the shade of a skin tone and the continent where your closest ancestors were born. If someone is going to label himself I would ask that person to begin with the intentions of his heart, because "for out of the heart can proceed... blasphemies" (Mat 15.19). Sorry by the biblical reference, KS. You can ruin people's lives and careers with blasphemies, that's why even the most powerful people, even royals, have to go to the courts to stop them.

In summary, I don't know a lot of things about this man, but what I already know for sure -because his own words prove it- is that he is a well accomplished bully who does not hesitate to instigate others to publicly harass Morrissey, a man to whom many Brisith musicians owe at least part of their careers because he contributed to open a path for a lot of them in the international music scene. You don't need to agree with all Morrissey´s views just like you don't have to agree 100% with everybody else in your everyday life to respect them. Those are the basis of freedom of speech and democracy. Morrissey is a living legend, and if you bully your cultural icons you are a moron who doesn't value the luck you have of being the citizen of a western developed democratic country, Mr. "black musician born in the UK and who lives in the UK".

TLDR; he's irrelevant & his views hold no sway. A whinger. End.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because “GO! GO! GET OUT! WE DON’T NEED YOU! WE DON’T NEED YOU! WE. DON’T. NEEEED. YOU! GO! GO! GO! GO!”

Well said Melu...no more to say...apart from...GO! JUST f***IN' GO!

I wish people like Kele Okereke would realise that they are the problem. If he walked down the street and a car splashed a puddle of rainwater on him he would curse and call the driver a racist. If he has a bad day it is because everyone hates him because he's black.

Not every black person has this problem, but there are some like Kele who do. It's the eternal victim syndrome espoused by the liberal-left with their identity politics, where all white people are racist (and if you think you're not, you're still an unconscious racist) and everyone black is a victim.

Take an article in yesterday's Guardian for example, that accuses the snowflake climate change group Extinction Rebellion of being racist. This is the Guardian truly out-Guardianing itself as it is actually referring to its own lefty middle class readership.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tion-rebellion-race-climate-crisis-inequality

The piece is a called "Does Extinction Rebellion Have a Race Problem?" and accuses the group of racism because of three reasons:

1) They all seem to be white and aren't attracting enough black members, which means they are not embracing diversity... so they must be Racist.

2) They seem to mostly hail from non-urban areas like the home counties or the countryside. That means by living there they are refusing to embrace the joys of multiculturalism... so they must be Racist.

3) When the Met police said it is going to prosecute all those arrested at a London demo, Extinction Rebellion tweeted back that instead of arresting protesters the police should be concentrating on London's knife crime problem which is more important... which, hey, sounds like a hint that instead of nicking white protesters the police should be arresting the black boys who commit all the knife crime... so that's Racist!

This is the level of authoritarianism the liberal-left have sunk to - a stringent set of rules that will eventually alienate everyone including the most anti-racist among us. You see, the problem with the Guardian and Bloc Party's Kele is not that white people are racist, it is that white people exist.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full
This is tiresome. i can't even be bothered to negate his generalisations, because "what you resist persists".
I'll do what I do with Skinny posts - Ignore.

So this okereke bloke doesn't like Trump, PM Johnson, Flowers, Moz,...never experienced such (alleged) 'racism'...so f*** off back to Nigeria & see how you get on, or go stay with skinny in Bratford...despite the UK giving you yr 'musical' break? Huh!
f*** right off tit.
Can't stand shits like that.
Typical skinny post.

I wish people like Kele Okereke would realise that they are the problem. If he walked down the street and a car splashed a puddle of rainwater on him he would curse and call the driver a racist. If he has a bad day it is because everyone hates him because he's black.

Not every black person has this problem, but there are some like Kele who do. It's the eternal victim syndrome espoused by the liberal-left with their identity politics, where all white people are racist (and if you think you're not, you still are an unconscious racist) and everyone black is a victim.

Take an article in yesterday's Guardian for example, that accuses the snowflake climate change group Extinction Rebellion of being racist. This is the Guardian truly out-Guardianing itself as it talking about its own lefty middle class readership.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tion-rebellion-race-climate-crisis-inequality

The piece is a called "Does Extinction Rebellion Have a Race Problem?" and accuses the group of racism because of three reasons:

1) They all seem to be white and aren't attracting enough black members, which means they are not embracing diversity... so they must be Racist.

2) They seem to mostly hail from non-urban areas like the home counties or the countryside. That means by living there they are refusing to embrace the joys of multiculturalism... so they must be Racist.

3) When the Met police said it is going to prosecute all those arrested at a London demo, Extinction Rebellion tweeted back that instead of arresting protesters the police should concentrating on London's knife crime problem which is more important... which, hey, sounds like a hint that instead of nicking white protesters the police should be arresting the black boys who commit all the knife crime... so that's Racist!

This is the level of authoritarianism the liberal-left have sunk to - a stringent set of rules that will eventually alienate everyone including the most anti-racist among us. You see, the problem with the Guardian and Bloc Party's Kele is not that white people are racist, it is that white people exist.

Yep, I love yu.

Not a Bloc Party fan at all, but he’s completely right. Not enough people standing up against the rise of the far right in music. Feels like music is mostly ignoring it. I mean, I love Billy Bragg but we can’t keep looking to him. Where’s the new Clash? I read an article by Michael Stipe saying he was giving the proceeds of his new song to an environmental campaign. That’s great, but I wish it was a much newer artist doing it. I mean, I’m sure there are and I’m just old and I’ve missed them. Anyway, Morrissey is a racist. There. I’ve done my bit.
aye your right your an old boring f*** who posts on here about once a month and has absolutely nothing to say.i await an avalanche of troll symbols from you because that's all your good for.

Not every black person has this problem, but there are some like Kele who do. It's the eternal victim syndrome espoused by the liberal-left with their identity politics, where all white people are racist (and if you think you're not, you still are an unconscious racist) and everyone black is a victim.

Take an article in yesterday's Guardian for example, that accuses the snowflake climate change group Extinction Rebellion of being racist. This is the Guardian truly out-Guardianing itself as it is actually referring to its own lefty middle class readership.

3) When the Met police said it is going to prosecute all those arrested at a London demo, Extinction Rebellion tweeted back that instead of arresting protesters the police should be concentrating on London's knife crime problem which is more important... which, hey, sounds like a hint that instead of nicking white protesters the police should be arresting the black boys who commit all the knife crime... so that's Racist!

who brought hitler into it.
if anyone hasn't seen the trailer for JOJO RABBIT go and do so,could be film of the year,a ten year old who has hitler as his imaginery friend.im giving it 11 out of 10.

I think it is morbid that he devotes so much energy into hating someone. Very morbid.

However, 95% of what he says is actual truth. Even more worrisome is that 95% here don't see it.
:rofl:WTF

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom