Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen anyone give any facts, statistics, and arguments as to why white people should agree to become minorities in their own homeland.

Yes and I could just as easily say that I had never experienced anti-whiteness until recently.

You could say the same thing about certain gypsie communities in Europe who have been there for centuries and still are not "integrated".

Well these people don't like data, as the truth would get in the way of a good story. Without data these are just opinions; nothing more. Simple.

Anti-whiteness, failed integration?

Go to any major city, areas in London, Birmingham,Huddersfield, even that 5hithole Bratford, & many others...there are dedicated black, & Asian communities, some of these areas don't even speak English FFS, are 'no go' areas for whites, & even Police...if that's what immigration brings, then I don't want any of that 5hit.

They don't want to integrate...why? Because it would dilute their cultural beliefs, dilute their identity, yet we have to tolerate them, make allowances, & pretend everything is hunky dory & pretend we are 'one nation'...facts are, it isn't hunky f***ing dory at all..the PC brigade are in denial & wear their skin like spineless chameleons (think Skinny).

I think Enoch talked about 'whip hands'...

this is where we are headed, sadly.

• Why do you think this is the case?
  • Have you even thought about it?
  • What's your conclusion?
That would probably make for a more meaningful post rather than just sucking up like the other non-intelligentsia, wouldn't it?

Give me reliable data: without it, this is just your limited opinion.

Look at how well far-right parties with anti-immigration issues at the heart of their agenda are doing everywhere. Look at how even mainstream parties, like the social democrats, are taking over some of this rhetoric over into their agenda. Dislike for people who look different is a simple message that sells well in times when people feel insecure and abandoned, and it distracts the attention from deeper causes.

One cause is that globalisation has gone too far. People are rightly worried about their jobs, the availability of public services, their personal security. We are also drifting to a hardening of attitudes, and that is not only affecting people with an ethnic background. And t has become acceptable to express hostility, against whatever cause. Look at how you are expressing yourself ffs. Nothing to be proud of.

It is true that E played a big role in the decline of hooliganism. Irvine Welsh of Trainspotting fame wrote a few stories about the effects of ecstasy on hooliganism. Whether there was a government conspiracy behind it, I dunno. It is weird that the drug had been invented decades before but only emerged in the 80's.

Except that they are not. I have not seen anyone give any facts, statistics, and arguments as to why white people should agree to become minorities in their own homeland. I've seen people call him an evil racist and a white supremacist but these are neither arguments nor facts.

There is a subset of people who believe that white nationalism is illegitimate in an American context but legitimate in a European context on the grounds that whites are the indigenous inhabitants of Europe whereas America is land that whites conquered.
This, I suspect, is Morrissey's view and why he can support For Britain on one hand while adamantly opposing Trump and praising Malcolm X on the other.

Yes and I could just as easily say that I had never experienced anti-whiteness until recently.

Blacks have been in America for hundreds of years and there are large swaths of them who are still not "integrated". You could say the same thing about certain gypsie communities in Europe who have been there for centuries and still are not "integrated".
Brilliantly insightful replies, as ever.

Glad you drew attention to the fact that whites have never felt such anti-white racism until recently either.

The liberal-left in Britain want to destroy every single thing that British people hold dear. The children's writer Enid Blyton is but one small example. Generations of British children grew up on her wonderfully innocent tales, but now the left are dragging her name through the mud calling her a racist etc (all the usual nonsense) even though her views were typical of her time - and it is her creative output that people are interested in anyway.

Most people in Britain accepted 'diversity' when it was in small doses. Then things began to ramp up. Increasingly the establishment adopted the practices of the authoritarian liberal-left so that now there is an institutionalized hierarchy of 'valued citizens'. At the bottom are the white working class who are being trod into the mud by the blacks, migrants, Muslims and gays who are crowned and heralded as the most valued at the top.

The people pushing this agenda are the metropolitan liberal elite. This is reflected in advertising and TV etc also (which treats the white working class as they don't actually exist) so is it any wonder that there is a growing backlash to the diversity and multicultural propaganda we have been fed for decades.

In the last census of 2011 whites made up only 44% percent of London. This came as even a shock to the liberal-left who had predicted it would take many decades before whites would become a minority in their own capital city. Next up is for Brits to become a minority in their own country. The liberal-left can't wait for this, but many people are waking up to this imminent reality and realizing that the decades of propaganda and guilt-inducing accusations of racism and privilege was all just a ploy for a Great Replacement.

The authoritarian liberal left are the true racists - and both Labour and the Tories have adopted its systems. Just look at the crap they want to teach young kids in schools, and this is under a Conservative government. These people want to undermine the British people and eventually wipe them off the map.

Last edited:
Look at how well far-right parties with anti-immigration issues at the heart of their agenda are doing everywhere. Look at how even mainstream parties, like the social democrats, are taking over some of this rhetoric over into their agenda. Dislike for people who look different is a simple message that sells well in times when people feel insecure and abandoned, and it distracts the attention from deeper causes.

One cause is that globalisation has gone too far. People are rightly worried about their jobs, the availability of public services, their personal security. We are also drifting to a hardening of attitudes, and that is not only affecting people with an ethnic background. And t has become acceptable to express hostility, against whatever cause. Look at how you are expressing yourself ffs. Nothing to be proud of.

I'll take that & appreciate the candid, & half decent reply.

I'll retain my right to express my views however, just like others with an opposing view do.

We need some balance on here rather some bigot on a personal crusade monopolising conversation trying to tell us what we should be thinking.

Typical example of the left’s current supply-and-demand problem in their never ending quest to defeat the ‘far right’ - they can’t find any legitimate far-right sympathisers so instead just lower the qualifying bar and invent ones to fight against.

Typical example of the left’s current supply-and-demand problem in their never ending quest to defeat the ‘far right’ - they can’t find any legitimate far-right sympathisers so instead just lower the qualifying bar and invent ones to fight against.
It's become to the point that anyone who disagrees with them is suddenly 'far right'.

People have to become aware of what's currently going on. Humans are pack animals, and we owe our success as a species to that. But nowadays with so many forces working hard against you to undermine your race, country, and every single value you believe in, you have to think a lot harder (and almost go against human nature) to step out of the safety of the crowd to speak the truth whenever it needs to be said.

Which is hard when there is a wall of forces - the liberal left (who shout the loudest), the press and establishment - issuing threats of social ostracism to anyone who refuses to adhere to their increasingly authoritarian rulebook.

Take for example the Muslim rape gang epidemic of white working class girls in numerous towns across Britain. I read today of a teenage girl in Telford who was raped (from 11 yrs old onwards) by 500 Muslims. The fact that neither Labour or Tory have ever taken this evil racist epidemic seriously (and for years swept it under the carpet charging anyone who mentioned it with racism) says everything you need to know about whose side the establishment is on. If there was even one single white-on-Muslim paedo gang rape this country would be on fire - and the media would be fanning the flames.

Morrissey is one of the very few public figures - and the only person I can think of in music - who has spoken out against England's engineered demise. He knew very well what the reaction would be, yet he continued to drive the knife in with yet more comments and the wearing of badges etc which was very in line with his arch humour throughout the years - and made me laugh in admiration.

He's a very courageous character. And the fans who found his comments on immigration shocking have obviously never understood him or what he's about.

Last edited:
"This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it,".........yes, there is. How odd after 50 yrs of being told of what the British people should think or say or do, people have finally said No, we don't want this. We don't want knife crime....we don't want the importation of religions that have nothing in common with us....we don't want rape gangs or seeing people being blown up. How f***ing strange.

You do realise that the majority of knife crime is committed by white youths according to official police statistics. As for invading religions I assume we can therefore include the Irish with their papal beliefs and child abusive leaders and bombs? Don’t be so f***ing brainwashed.

It's become to the point that anyone who disagrees with them is suddenly 'far right'.

People have to become aware of what's currently going on. Humans are pack animals, and we owe our success as a species to that. But nowadays with so many forces working hard against you to undermine your race, country, and every single value you believe in, you have to think a lot harder (and almost go against human nature) to step out of the safety of the crowd to speak the truth whenever it needs to be said.

Which is hard when there is a wall of forces - the liberal left (who shout the loudest), the press and establishment - issuing threats of social ostracism to anyone who refuses to adhere to their increasingly authoritarian rulebook.

Take for example the Muslim rape gang epidemic of white working class girls in numerous towns across Britain. I read today of a teenage girl in Telford who was raped (from 11 yrs old onwards) by 500 Muslims. The fact that neither Labour or Tory have ever taken this evil racist epidemic seriously (and for years swept it under the carpet charging anyone who mentioned it with racism) says everything you need to know about whose side the establishment is on. If there was even one single white-on-Muslim paedo gang rape this country would be on fire - and the media would be fanning the flames.

Morrissey is one of the very few public figures - and the only person I can think of in music - who has spoken out against England's engineered demise. He knew very well what the reaction would be, yet he continued to drive the knife in with yet more comments and the wearing of badges etc which was very in line with his arch humour throughout the years - and made me laugh in admiration.

He's a very courageous character. And the fans who found his comments on immigration shocking have obviously never understood him or what he's about.

Dear god. I’m not on the left by any stretch of the imagination but you do come out with some opinionated brainless brainwashed stereotypical crap. You might want to get out more.

I'll take that & appreciate the candid, & half decent reply.

I'll retain my right to express my views however, just like others with an opposing view do.

We need some balance on here rather some bigot on a personal crusade monopolising conversation trying to tell us what we should be thinking.

So who are the bigots then?

I just think that people with an ethnic background are a very heterogenous group. A good number of them truly wish to live in our countries, share many of our values and norms, and are participating in positive ways. But t can't be said of all of them. Some cramp together in their packed ethnic communities, with no interest in the society surrounding them, or in the worst case, hostility towards the society surrounding them. And I understand that there are limits to how much of the latter sort a society can tolerate. I just don't buy into easy solutions.

I don't like the Alt-right for turning white people against all the others. I don't like the progressive left when trying to protect them all under their pc umbrella. Unfortunately, a nuanced discussion on this topic is difficult to achieve. My personal conclusion is that it isn't even worth aiming for on this board. Enough said.

You do realise that the majority of knife crime is committed by white youths according to official police statistics. As for invading religions I assume we can therefore include the Irish with their papal beliefs and child abusive leaders and bombs? Don’t be so f***ing brainwashed.

Don't be so f***ing cucked.

White people still form the vast majority of the British public so obviously most crime stats will correspond with this fact.

However, black youths commit a disproportionately large amount of knife crime for their numbers.

In London for example every race exists, yet knife crime is virtually exclusive to black youths who worship 'the gangsta life' where dealing drugs and knifing people is the epitome of cool.

So who are the bigots then?

I just think that people with an ethnic background are a very heterogenous group. A good number of them truly wish to live in our countries, share many of our values and norms, and are participating in positive ways. But t can't be said of all of them. Some cramp together in their packed ethnic communities, with no interest in the society surrounding them, or in the worst case, hostility towards the society surrounding them. And I understand that there are limits to how much of the latter sort a society can tolerate. I just don't buy into easy solutions.

I don't like the Alt-right for turning white people against all the others. I don't like the progressive left when trying to protect them all under their pc umbrella. Unfortunately, a nuanced discussion on this topic is difficult to achieve. My personal conclusion is that it isn't even worth aiming for on this board. Enough said.
Sitting on the fence is unfortunately a very British trait. We've become lazy and complacent. Other cultures are more passionate and would never allow their country to be pulled from underneath their feet as has happened with Britain.

Last edited:
I thought Bloc Party must be some political party at first. I’m sure that’s the intended implication from the name.

I thought Bloc Party must be some political party at first. I’m sure that’s the intended implication from the name.

they are purveyors of SUCKO music.o_O

im surprised this Kelele Ukulele isnt behind bars for crimes against music.:rage:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom