Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
My suspicion is that Morrissey wants more from a record deal than is necessarily realistic nowadays for an artist like him. He wants to spend 100 grand on recording, then he wants billboards, newspaper ads and vanity 7-inches. Then, on the other hand, he won't do promotion, or rub along with the record label. It's 100% his decision to make, of course. But it's hard to make it add up commercially.

Even though he's scared off a lot of fans, there's easily enough still there for his output to turn a profit, but I doubt he'd be willing to compromise to the extent required. So, IMO, he will have to get very lucky in order to get a deal again. I'm not quite writing him off, though

Nonsense. Bob Dylan released Murder Most Foul back in March. It is epic.

I also think Stephen Malkmus and J Mascis are great songwriters. Have a listen to the solo work from both of them.

Bob Dylan is 79........he isn't a "new" artist. Neither are Malkmus or Mascis.

This really doesn't make sense. At all. You don't drop an artist with these numbers:

Morrissey has 1,819,795 MONTHLY LISTENERS on Spotify. That's almost 2 million people a month streaming Morrissey's records. Every month.

The Smiths have 5,608,004 MONTHLY LISTENERS on Spotify.

That's not what you said. You said:

"There's good music but nothing that will impact the world like the great bands of the past. Certainly not in terms of songwriting ability."

Bob Dylan's Murder Most Foul was impactful. Have a look on Google.

WTF are you on about? You signed up for the ride and can’t handle where it took you? You bought into the bullshit of a one-trick, washed-up pony and now you can’t handle the truth? You claim adoration for Morrissey’s last 5 albums - which ALL tanked?

You’re right about one thing, Sunshine. ...and most of Morrissey’s fans have been saying it for years - “God this world needs to burn”.

It will. The world of Morrissey, that is. The rest of us will be just fine.
I signed up for a ride with your mother last night

This really doesn't make sense. At all. You don't drop an artist with these numbers:

Morrissey has 1,819,795 MONTHLY LISTENERS on Spotify. That's almost 2 million people a month streaming Morrissey's records. Every month.

To put that into perspective, Paul McCartney has 10,763,909 MONTHLY LISTENERS.

No. No, Hoffmann, they’re not. ...but they’re selling and relevant. I already have two of those lps and - thanks to the tip from our anymore friend, the third is on the way.

Did you ever get back to me on my question about the last record you bought? Love to know, dear.

Thing is, how many of those Spotify plays are Everyday Is Like Sunday, and how many are Jim Jim Falls?

to quote the great Joni Mitchell

“I heard someone from the music business saying they are no longer looking for talent, they want people with a certain look and a willingness to cooperate,” Joni Mitchell says, summarizing just about everything she feels is wrong with the pop world these days.

“I thought, that’s interesting, because I believe a total unwillingness to cooperate is what is necessary to be an artist -- not for perverse reasons, but to protect your vision. The considerations of a corporation, especially now, have nothing to do with art or music. That’s why I spend my time now painting.”

she said this in 2004 and she was right then and is right still
The only thing good in music right now is Morrissey. Morrissey is one of the few great artists left. Does someone like Katy Perry have the depth of music that Morrissey has?

I don't like it when it is looks and image over substance. I don't like the new Drill music. I don't like it when singers scream rather than sing in a sort of X Factor gospel pop style.

I call myself Art Tatum because he was one of great jazz musicians back in the day. Art Tatum made real music he probably wasn't that wealthy and he wasn't about image he didn't do satanic type dance routines on stage like Madonna. I like interesting artists that make me think. Artists that have lived a life and have struggled. Artists that don't have a big ego and are humble. Joni Mitchell is great her lyrics are great.

I question why some of these artists go into music is it to make money, is it to feed an ego, is it to get a girlfriend or boyfriend, is it to become famous and hang out with other famous people, is it to be hedonistic. Is it to promote a satanic agenda and other agendas that the establishment want to promote and comply to the world system. They don't want artists to rock the boat these days or to be different.

For me, LIHS doesn’t hold together well as a studio album: it’s too eclectic.

Only thing I don't like is the tone of I Bury The Living & Israel is a tad too bombastic.

Also - he really needed to include in the press release that he doesn't support the government of Israel, because that gave him yet more stinking press he didn't need or deserve.

Although, ironically, that bad press is now part of the story of 'left-wing racism'.

And he's also giving himself stinking press by allowing (or not knowing) that he's got a post with the headline BMG Dump Morrissey. WHO DOES THAT? :ahhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
No. No, Hoffmann, they’re not. ...but they’re selling and relevant. I already have two of those lps and - thanks to the tip from our anymore friend, the third is on the way.

Did you ever get back to me on my question about the last record you bought? Love to know, dear.

I haven't bought anything in the past year......buying food and paying bills has been the priority. If i did, I've been thinking of getting the last album by the late Nick Marsh from Flesh for Lulu or the poet/singer-songwriter Martin Newell.

That's not what you said. You said:

"There's good music but nothing that will impact the world like the great bands of the past. Certainly not in terms of songwriting ability."

Bob Dylan's Murder Most Foul was impactful. Have a look on Google.

I'm talking about GREAT music from young people. Where is it?

They’re streaming “Suedehead,” not “The Truth About Ruth.”

I'm talking about GREAT music from young people. Where is it?
Drop the Velcro for shoelaces, old-codger! It’s ALL right there for you to experience, if you’d just find your walker and make an effort to get up off your slack-jawed, grumpy ass, grandpa!

You’re about as alive and involved as a petrified turd, aren’t ya? f***ing clown.

The entertainment industry such as theatre, cinema and music, has very little space for the over 50. I would say music is the worse, as they boycott any older artists that are not attractive enough to the young musically and that it doesn't follow certain formulated standards dictated by most record companies. I found repulsive that many of us are forced by the industry to stop following the careers of those that we like, simply because they have grown old. Getting older doesn't mean artists have to be pushed to the corner, they can still create and have lots to offer. There is far too much prejudice against old artists and that attitude must change in the industry and also some fans. While someone can still be creative, who cares about age!
View attachment 65618
I hope he finds a record label that can give him enough freedom to continue while he wants to and can.
Excellent i think the same ,the best thing i read in the thread !!!!!,and with that photo of Moz pure feeling!! and i was moved to tears!!! MORRISSEY will continue he does not withdraw!!! His latest album is very good ,hold on Moz you're the best

Darn, I was really looking forward to that Ringleader Deluxe that was announced this summer. I hope the remixed Morricone songs find a release on another label soon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom