"Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?" release (Jan. 10, 2020); album sleeve revealed?

Some people reporting 'Bobby Don't You Think They Know' is on YouTube now, which would be the first from the forthcoming album.
I was sent this link:

But it isn't working for me. Got 9 views though.
E: Looks like the release date is 10/01/2020, as Anonymous suggested, which is why it is currently available in Australia.

full

UPDATE Jan. 10:

Link posted by Famous when dead:

Morrissey drops duet with Motown star Thelma Houston - The List

Excerpt:

Morrissey recruited Grammy-winning Motown star Thelma Houston for the epic duet, who said: "One of the biggest joys for me in this business is getting the opportunity to collaborate with other top artists.

"I love the challenge to see if what I do can work with what they're doing. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

"I think the blend of what Morrissey is singing and what I'm singing really works on 'Bobby'.

"And it was a lot of fun working with M in the studio too!"

The 'Mute Witness' singer's long-time producer, Joe Chicarelli, has teased that the upcoming LP, which is released via BMG on March 20, is "the boldest and most adventurous" record ever recorded by Morrissey.

He added: "I have now produced four studio albums for Morrissey.

"This is his boldest and most adventurous album yet.

"He has pushed the boundaries yet again – both musically and lyrically.

"And once again proving that as a songwriter and singer, he is in his own category. In truth, no one can be Morrissey but ... Morrissey!"

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 'don't you think they know?' relates to what? Bobby (m or f) being a queer, or has a drug problem?
Or is the drug problem so bad that his/her behaviour, while on these drugs, is what has revealed he/she is queer &/or has a drug problem? Torture down below? Not sure abt that bit.
I think Bobby is in the closet, to his/her mind.

I think the drug references are intended to evoke a context (New York, 50s/60s music scene?).

It does seem to be about a drug-addicted singer. Tortured below could mean below the surface of their perfect life & we're just assuming it means gay or trans because Morrissey.

I don't know how we'll narrow down the inspiration for a drug addicted singer though without nicking his notebook. There must be hundreds.

Not getting any 'sexual' element to this track.
My mind took 'below' to be a beneath the surface / under a facade style imagery.
After re-reading the lyrics:
"Nice music, shame about the hidden drug habit - which isn't as hidden as you think"
About sums it up for me.
Regards,
FWD.

Edit: spooky!

It’s certainly not a song for the less sophisticated amongst us.

'to the benefit rather than the detriment of ‘his’ art.'

So the drugs, having revealed his/her sexual preference, have proved to be beneficial career wise to Bobby? Why bcos many of these arty types are queer? Where do u get that from?

Isn't it about Whitney Houston?

Bobby
Drugs
Ah the pleasure you bring for us
Ah whenever you sing for us

Moz quoted via TTY:
Who inspired you to sing?
KARICACSARY, Fontana.

Bobby Hatfield. He was the smaller of the two Righteous Brothers, and his falsetto swoop made me jump backwards over the settee. You should You Tube their You've lost that lovin' feelin', and you'll see what I mean. When I made the record Ringleader of the tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've lost that lovin' feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks. I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticized David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that.

Autobiography:
It is only the singing voice, I decide, that tells us how things became how they are, and You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’ by the Righteous Brothers had led me to the light. In this duet between Bill and Bobby, the language of despair becomes beautiful, and the final forty-five seconds hit such call-and-respond excitement that I am now in danger of feeling too much. Bobby’s rooftop falsetto is the fire in the belly, whilst Bill’s deep-chested leveling is the full invasion. Suddenly everything else in life is in question.

But again and again it is the sight of the Righteous Brothers singing You’ve lost that lovin’ feelin’ (to each other?), gazing into their own separate distances. I cherish each glimpse that television allows – so unrepeatable, and God forbid that anyone should talk too loudly or meddle with the sound. Yes, there he goes again – Cherub Bobby swooping up into a female scream, and visual art unravels before me.

Mozipedia (which references drugs):

Righteous Brothers, The, 60s American ‘blue-eyed soul’ duo whom Morrissey has credited as inspiring him to become a singer. ‘When I was two years old [sic] I saw [them] on television,’ he recalled. ‘Bill and Bobby. I thought fantastic. That’s me … I wanted to be Bobby out of The Righteous Brothers.’
In fact, Morrissey would have been five when fictitious siblings Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield topped the UK charts in February 1965 with their humungous Phil Spector production, ‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’’. ‘I was obsessed with [that song],’ he raved. ‘The way the two voices are jumping around and when I saw it on TOP OF THE POPS, the way they would not look at each other and sing those parts was extraordinary.’ The ‘Brothers’ enjoyed other hits though only August 1965’s ‘Unchained Melody’ (technically a solo record by Hatfield) would follow ‘Lovin’ Feelin’’ to number one when re-released in 1990 after its use in the film Ghost. Morrissey’s dreams of wanting to become Hatfield probably ended upon hearing the news in early November 2003 that he’d been found dead in his Kalamazoo hotel room of a cocaine-induced heart attack, aged 63.

Pretty strong evidence for Hatfield?
Regards,
FWD.

Not getting any 'sexual' element to this track.
My mind took 'below' to be a beneath the surface / under a facade style imagery.
After re-reading the lyrics:
"Nice music, shame about the hidden drug habit - which isn't as hidden as you think"
About sums it up for me.
Regards,
FWD.

Edit: spooky!

Yeah I can see that, but what it doesn't explain, if there is an actual explanation, is why Moz goes to great lengths listing the various alternative names for drugs. By virtue of the fact he does, it suggests a major drug problem as opposed to minor/casual/get me through the show level habit.

I can't therefore relate the song to Hatfield, there were drug issues but nothing to suggest anything major..altho there's a very, very tenuous link to him, maybe:

Righteous Brothers sang Unchained Melody.

Album is I'm Not A Dog On A Chain.

...therefore implying 'unchained'!

Wow the f***ing plot thickens...

Yeah I can see that, but what it doesn't explain, if there is an actual explanation, is why Moz goes to great lengths listing the various alternative names for drugs. By virtue of the fact he does, it suggests a major drug problem as opposed to minor/casual/get me through the show level habit.

I can't therefore relate the song to Hatfield, there were drug issues but nothing to suggest anything major..altho there's a very, very tenuous link to him, maybe:

Righteous Brothers sang Unchained Melody.

Album is I'm Not A Dog On A Chain.

...therefore implying 'unchained'!

Wow the f***ing plot thickens...

Be sure.
It is about Bobby H.

Be sure.
It is about Bobby H.

Well done 'agent', & FWD, great detective work. Although I think FWD has removed one of his posts maybe due to some minor inaccuracy. Mystery solved regardless, well done everybody. Hatfield it is then.

Well done 'agent', & FWD, great detective work. Although I think FWD has removed one of his posts maybe due to some minor inaccuracy. Mystery solved regardless, well done everybody. Hatfield it is then.
I removed a reply to you telling you that death from a cocaine overdose half an hour prior to being due on stage was more than 'anything major', as it then spirals in to: why does he use slang for non-cocaine drugs, ah, there's little mention of him having a drug habit... etc etc...
My point was posed as a question not a certainty.
That said, I posted quotes from Moz to substantiate a stronger link than those being put forward. Bobby H. appears to be a clear formative influence on him and perhaps that makes him a stronger candidate than the rest.
Regards,
FWD.

Good work all round; like many I'd been wondering about the who/why/what of this song.
So, shall we start on Moz's back catalogue on Monday & work out the who/why/what meanings behind all of them?? :lbf:

Be sure.
It is about Bobby H.

Yes, that would make sense!

(& it would have been a hook to sell the song with - My Drug Hells in the industry. But he's determined to stay basic, so what can we do... ).

I removed a reply to you telling you that death from a cocaine overdose half an hour prior to being due on stage was more than 'anything major', as it then spirals in to: why does he use slang for non-cocaine drugs, ah, there's little mention of him having a drug habit... etc etc...
My point was posed as a question not a certainty.
That said, I posted quotes from Moz to substantiate a stronger link than those being put forward. Bobby H. appears to be a clear formative influence on him and perhaps that makes him a stronger candidate than the rest.
Regards,
FWD.

Wrong.
Morrissey is using! slang for cocaine drugs: for example "mosquito.... ...snow... ..."
Bobby H. is The Answer.
Thank you.

Cocaine:
7; 62; 77; 777; 921; A-1; Adidas; All-American Drug; Ancla; Angel Powder; Angie; Animals; Apache; Apodo;
Arriba; Audi; Aunt Nora; Azucar; Baby Powder; Barrato; Basuco; Bazooka (cocaine paste mixed with
marijuana); Beach; Belushi (cocaine mixed with heroin); Bernice; Bernie’s Flakes; Bernie’s Gold Dust; Big Bird;
Big Bloke; Big C; Big Flake; Big Rush; Billie Hoke; Bird; Birdie Powder; Blanca Nieves; Blanco; Blast; Blizzard;
Blonde; Blocks; Blow; BMW; Board; Bobo; Bolitas; Bolivian Marching Powder; Bombita (cocaine mixed with
heroin); Booger Sugar; Bose; Bouncing Powder; Brisa; Bump; C-Dust; Caballo; Caca; Cadillac; California
Pancakes; Calves; Canelon; Candy; Car; Carney; Carrie Nation; Cars; Case; Cebolla; Cecil; Cement; Charlie;
Chevy; Cheyenne; Chica; Chicanitas; Chinos; Chiva; Cielo; Clear Kind; Clear Tires; Coca; Coca-Cola; Cocazo;
Coconut; Coke; Cola; Colorado; Comida; Comida Dulce; Connie; Cookie; Cosa; Coso; Cosos; Crow; Crusty
Treats; Cuadro; Death Valley; Designer Jeans; Devil’s Dandruff; Diamonds; Diente; Dienton; Diesel; Diosa
Blanca; Dona Blanca; Double Bubble; Double Letters; Dove; Dream; Dulces; Duracell; Durazno; Duro; Dust;
Escama; Escorpino; Falopa; Fef1; Fichas; Fiesta; Fire (cocaine base); Fish (liquid cocaine); Fish Scale;
Flake; Flea Market Jeans; Florida Snow; Flour; Food; Foolish Powder; Fox; Freeze; Friskie Powder; Frula;
Funtime; Gabacho; Galaxy; Gallos; Gato; Gift of the Sun; Gin; Girl; Girlfriend; Glad Stuff; Gold Dust; Green
Gold; Gringa; Gringito; Grout; Guerillo; Gueros; Guitar; H1; Hai Hit; Hamburger; Happy Dust; Happy Powder;
Happy Trails; Heaven; Heaven Dust; Heavy One; Hen; Henry VIII; HH; HHJ; High Heat; HMH; Hooter; Hundai;
Hunter; Ice Cream; Icing; Inca Message; Izzy; Jam; Jaime Blanco; Jaula; Jeep; Jelly; John Deere; Joy Flakes;
Joy Powder; Juguetes; Jump Rope; Junk; K13; King’s Habit; Kordell; La Familia; Lady; Lady Snow; Late
Night; Lavada; Leaf; Libreta; Line; Loaf; Love Affair; LV; Maca Flour; Madera; Mama Coca; Mandango; Manita;
Maradona; Marbol; Material; Mayback (62 grams); Mayo; Melcocha; Media Lata; Mercedes; Milk; Milonga;
Mojo; Mona Lisa; Monte; Morro; Mosquitos; Movie Star Drug; Muchacha; Muebles; Mujer; Napkin; Nieve; Niña;
Normal; Nose Candy; Nose Powder; Old Lady; Oyster Stew; Paint; Paloma; Paleta; Palomos; Pantalones;
Papas; Paradise; Paradise White; Parrot; Pearl; Pedrito; Perico; Personal; Peruvian; Peruvian Flake; Peruvian
Lady; Pescado; Peta; Pez; Pichicata; Pillow; Pimp; Pingas; Pingos; Pintura Blanca; Poli; Pollo; Polvo; Powder;
Powder Diamonds; Puma; Puritain; Quadros; Queso Blanco; Racehorse Charlie; Rambo; Refresco; Refrescas;
Regular Kind; Regular Work; Reindeer Dust; Richie; Rims; Rocky Mountain; Rolex; Rolex HH; Rooster; Scale;
Schmeck; Schoolboy; Scorpion; Scottie; Seed; Serpico; Sierra; Shirt; Ski Equipment; Sleigh Ride; Sneeze;
Sniff; Snow; Snow Bird; Snow Cone; Snow White; Snowball; Snowflake; Society High; Soda; Soditas; Soft;
Space (cocaine mixed with PCP); Special; Speedball (cocaine mixed with heroin); Stardust; Star Spangled
Powder; Studio Fuel; Suave; Sugar; Superman; Sweet Stuff; Tabique; Tablas; Talco; Talquito; Tamales; Taxi;
Tecate; Teenager; Teeth; Tequila; Thunder; Tire; Tonto; Toot; Tortes; Tortuga; Toyota; T-Shirts; Tubo; Tucibi
(pink variety); Turkey; Tutti-Frutti; Vaquita; Wash; Wet; Whack (cocaine mixed with PCP); White; White Bitch;
White Cross; White Dove; White Girl; White Goat; White Horse; White Lady; White Mercedes Benz; White
Mosquito
; White Paint; White Powder; White Rock; White Root; White Shirt; White T; White Wall Tires; Whitey;
Whiz Bang; Wings; Wooly; Work; Yayo; Yeyo; Yoda; Zapato; Zip

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom