Bobby or Way Out

Bobby or Way Out, which do you prefer?

• Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know

• Love Is On Its Way Out

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm still a little confused by LIOIWO, especially the below lyrics, which feature as part of the best section of the song, which I also feel arrives too late in the song - just my view.
It's sung well, the arrangement is great on this part, & this section does sound like a 'Moz' track, but it seems disconnected from the rest of the song & its message, it could almost be a section from another song - one which could be a great song:

Before it goes
Do you have the time the time to show me
What's it like
What's it like
Oh, what's it like
Oh take time
Be mine
Gaze with fondness on the wrong one
The wrong one

The weakest part for me is the 'elephants & lions' line...it even looks and sounds weak, poorly & quickly put together, & tbh it's a little cringe-worthy by Moz standards.
I think he makes the mistake of being too specific when there are other relevant issues he could pursue on the same theme.
OK I know (think) it relates to the rich trophy hunters killing for killing's sake, i.e. for 'fun' which has been going on for years & years, and it sadly continues, so why's he never referenced it before?...but I thought if he's going to mention specific animals, & try to make it current, he'd also be singing about the poachers, killing rhino for their horns (for the Asian markets), & even elephants in relation to illegal ivory trade (again for the Asian markets), which is also going on.
He could maybe have wrapped it up speaking about the complete wrongs of killing African wildlife, big game hunting generally, the threats of extinction, or threats to endangered species, somehow.
I love his voice, the song generally, the tune, production, but in parts, lyrically...no.

The first things I thought of were the controversy over the Douma chemical attack - Russian says it was staged, we say it was real & Prince Harry being a conservationist & a hunter at the same time because of the 'sad' bit - why would a hunter be sad? So you've got 2 situations that might not be what they seem & then at the end he asks someone to show him what love is like, even though he's the wrong one & they don't love him.

I think it's meant to be sincere AND a bleak joke. I THINK.

Love Is On Its Way Out

Hate Is On Way in (should be on lirycs)
Yes!! Love is in us, hate in another which is a stone in the dry water inside!!!!!!!
El amor esta en nosotros ,el odio en otro/a que es UNA PIEDRA EN EL AGUA SECA POR DENTRO!!!!!

I think the lyrics of "Love Is On Its Way Out" give it an advantage and I like it musically. The unusual sounds are used very well. "Bobby" has those great instrumental sections that really take it to a place Morrissey goes rarely if ever and I think it's more exciting. The way the guitars come up at the end of "Love" when the song changes will probably be even more effective live.
The production on these records has been interesting but a little too artificial. They kind of remind me of something that someone would do in their bedroom, creating interesting sounds but never having that power of a live band playing together at the same time. If Morrissey was that kind of artist it would make more sense but I think it denies him the part of him we saw some of on Years Of Refusal and earlier on Southpaw where he gets to show his Iggy Pop and New York Dolls influences.
Both of these songs will be better live but Thelma will be missed. I'm not sure which one I prefer right now. I like both a lot but I almost feel that these recordings are demos and the songs haven't been given the room to really breathe with a full band all playing at once behind them.

Yes you’re right, they will be even better live.
We will know in 5 weeks!

And both songs seem equally liked by the looks of it, no clear favourite so far.

I choose "Love".... less is more....lyrics, choir, baroque keyboards all dance around in the head...this will be huge track live... (side note) I hope the faux choir is prevalent throughout the album, a'la Ringleaders.....

Last edited:
It would have been interesting to have a third option, 'Neither.'

Back
Top Bottom