• Love Is On Its Way Out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oooh Bobb-ay
Uh-huh
Mmmhmmmm
You ain’t foolin’ no-bod-AY
Heyyyyayyyy ayyyy-AYYyyy
Bobb-ayyyy

I'm still a little confused by LIOIWO, especially the below lyrics, which feature as part of the best section of the song, which I also feel arrives too late in the song - just my view.
It's sung well, the arrangement is great on this part, & this section does sound like a 'Moz' track, but it seems disconnected from the rest of the song & its message, it could almost be a section from another song - one which could be a great song:

Before it goes
Do you have the time the time to show me
What's it like
What's it like
Oh, what's it like
Oh take time
Be mine
Gaze with fondness on the wrong one
The wrong one

The weakest part for me is the 'elephants & lions' line...it even looks and sounds weak, poorly & quickly put together, & tbh it's a little cringe-worthy by Moz standards.
I think he makes the mistake of being too specific when there are other relevant issues he could pursue on the same theme.
OK I know (think) it relates to the rich trophy hunters killing for killing's sake, i.e. for 'fun' which has been going on for years & years, and it sadly continues, so why's he never referenced it before?...but I thought if he's going to mention specific animals, & try to make it current, he'd also be singing about the poachers, killing rhino for their horns (for the Asian markets), & even elephants in relation to illegal ivory trade (again for the Asian markets), which is also going on.
He could maybe have wrapped it up speaking about the complete wrongs of killing African wildlife, big game hunting generally, the threats of extinction, or threats to endangered species, somehow.
I love his voice, the song generally, the tune, production, but in parts, lyrically...no.

I'm still a little confused by LIOIWO, especially the below lyrics, which feature as part of the best section of the song, which I also feel arrives too late in the song - just my view.
It's sung well, the arrangement is great on this part, & this section does sound like a 'Moz' track, but it seems disconnected from the rest of the song & its message, it could almost be a section from another song - one which could be a great song:

Before it goes
What's it like
What's it like
Oh, what's it like
Oh take time
Be mine
The wrong one

The way I understand this part is that he still refers to the "love" that is about to leave. In the first part of the song he's talking about the lack of love in society, exemplified by the nerve-gassed children and the hunters killing elephants and lions. Everything is turning to shit, there's no humanity out there anymore, even love is on its way out.

In the last part the perspective switches from societal issues to the personal. He's addressing another person and asks them to show him what love is like, before it's too late and all love is gone. I really like this change of perspective and think this is the best part of the song.

Before it goes
What's it like
What's it like
Oh, what's it like
Oh take time
Be mine
The wrong one

The weakest part for me is the 'elephants & lions' line...it even looks and sounds weak, poorly & quickly put together, & tbh it's a little cringe-worthy by Moz standards.
I think he makes the mistake of being too specific when there are other relevant issues he could pursue on the same theme.
OK I know (think) it relates to the rich trophy hunters killing for killing's sake, i.e. for 'fun' which has been going on for years & years, and it sadly continues, so why's he never referenced it before?...but I thought if he's going to mention specific animals, & try to make it current, he'd also be singing about the poachers, killing rhino for their horns (for the Asian markets), & even elephants in relation to illegal ivory trade (again for the Asian markets), which is also going on.
He could maybe have wrapped it up speaking about the complete wrongs of killing African wildlife, big game hunting generally, the threats of extinction, or threats to endangered species, somehow.
I love his voice, the song generally, the tune, production, but in parts, lyrically...no.

Well in the us we’ve had lots of reports in the news about trophy hunters in the last three or four years. That dentist had to shut his practice for a while. Like I mentioned in another thread Eric Trump was the latest to go kill either an elephant or a lion. It seemed to be illegal I think if I’m remembering correctly but they retroactively gave him some permit. The idea of a politicians son who’s active in his politics, and a billionaire, paying money and traveling around the world to kill something big rather than solve world issues like children’s pain and fear is a sad thing and evidence of the worlds callousness. Either way here I think the game killing has been a more topical issue than in other places. It seems very relevant to right now. I also think the last bit connects fine. Before love leaves the world he wishes that it would at last gaze on him fondly even if he’s the wrong one or the bad one which he so often describes himself as. It’ll be to late to find and experience love, and not just romantic love, because it’s gone now leaving him at a loss. I don’t know, he gives examples of people being unfeeling or unempathetic as an example of how the world is turning cold and laments that he’s missed out and won’t experience it. I think part of the issue is that people automatically make it romantic love instead of just love in general or affection

TIL some people on this site don’t understand even Morrissey’s simplest lyrics...

doh:

I don’t which I like more. I really like the pace and momentum of love is but I also really like the piano on Bobby and the heavy bounce of the spikes blow bit. I also just like how different Bobby is from his usual material. Love is reminds me of ? from lihs somewhat. I guess I’ll go Bobby

I don’t which I like more. I really like the pace and momentum of love is but I also really like the piano on Bobby and the heavy bounce of the spikes blow bit. I also just like how different Bobby is from his usual material. Love is reminds me of ? from lihs somewhat. I guess I’ll go Bobby

Parts of the melody of Love Is On Its Way Out remind me of Home Is A Question Mark.

If we were in the Middle Ages and I had to choose between plague and cholera, I would choose "Love Way Out".

As a teaser for the album, I voted LOVE WAY out. Crisp sound, catchy tune, a combination of new and weird sounds with the more familiar epic sound that suits Morrissey so well. Lyrically it touches the familiar themes with his less engaging, repetitive writing style. Yet, no other artist would bemoan the killing of elephants and lions in a song.

Bobby is sonically more ambitious and more demanding on the listener. For me, the song really takes off at the chorus (all the pleasures you bring us….), that's already two and a half minute into the song. I am also pleasantly surprised by the groovy instrumental section towards the end. A solid album track.

both are good but love has just got the nod,album is shaping up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom