'Boxers' promo video on The Very Best Of DVD

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
I watched the promo copy of the DVD last night and an insignificant little mystery was solved. A mystery that goinghome brought up last summer - the identity of the classical music prologue that features at the beginning of the 'Boxers' promo video by James O'Brien. At the end of the video there is a caption that says it's 'Peter Grimes' by Benjamin Britten.

Other insignificant details that came up ~ the DVD is NTSC encoded (at least the promo copy is) so unless you switch your dvd player to read NTSC the picture looks slightly 'off', as in jerky, stilted motion. In NTSC all is smoothness.
The 'remastered' promo videos look fine. To my eyes they still don't look as good as they did on the 'Hulmerist' and 'Malady' video comps, but perhaps that's just nostalgia. I haven't done a pepsi-challenge on them yet. The exception is 'November' which looks completely magnificent. And even after hundreds of viewings a pristine 'I've Changed My Plea to Guilty' on J.Ross still had the power to make the hair on my palms erect last night ;) {although the sleeve gets the date wrong - it was shown on the 10th, not 9th, of December 1990!}

The 'Tomorrow' video is the standard version, not the '120 Minutes' cut, which is a pity. The original is fine but it would have been cool to have both.
The suedehead fella in 'Sunny' is wearing a t-shirt that says 'Jesus Was A Hippy'. Which is probably the only inerseting thing about that video.

I haven't tried the re-mastered CD as yet. It's on my iPod ready to go. I'll let you know how the 'new' old stuff sounds.

Ah, that thought crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if that's what joe was referring to. Erm..well then.

I watched the promo copy of the DVD last night and an insignificant little mystery was solved. A mystery that goinghome brought up last summer - the identity of the classical music prologue that features at the beginning of the 'Boxers' promo video by James O'Brien. At the end of the video there is a caption that says it's 'Peter Grimes' by Benjamin Britten.

I wasn't aware that this was a mystery. It is the third of the "Sea Interludes" from Grimes, Britten's breakthrough opera and a complete masterpiece. Then there is also the other Morrisseyian connection to Britten's magisterial operatic treatment of Melville's "Billy Budd".

Here is a link to that Sea Interlude in full:such organic and incredible music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJfuXOefpZI

Thanks, Joe, for confirmation and IamaGhost, for the link. It's a great piece of music. :)

Thanks, Joe, for confirmation and IamaGhost, for the link. It's a great piece of music. :)

You're welcome, friend.

The opera was performed in The Gaiety a few years back by Opera Ireland and they made a great stab at it. The cretins in the audience talked amongst themselves during the Four Sea Intervals when the curtain came down during each interval to facilitate scenery and costume changes, thus spoiling the fantastic music and atmosphere. I wept inwardly. "You have disgraced yourselves again"...

Back
Top Bottom