"Boy Interrupted, Memoir of a Former Smith" by Dale Hibbert to be published by Pomona Books (Sep. 20

About Dale Hibbert:

After a successful spell in the music industry, which included becoming a partner at "Spirit Studios", he had a change of direction and spent a decade as a horticulturalist.

But then he discovered a new passion - coffee.

After spending time living in Australia and Prague, he returned to the UK with the aim of setting up his own coffee bar (shop).

On a visit to Todmorden in West Yorkshire, he found the ideal location and served his first latte at the premises last month.

While living in Prague he met his wife Sveta, and they run the business together.

Their time in Prague has influenced how they present drinks at 'Kava' - the Czech word for coffee....

ok in that case, the smits were a gay gay band.

Sure, but compared to the average band they are less gay, that's my point. The records are not at all gay, whereas getting up on stage and singing and playing is a necessarily gay act for anyone.

Katy Perry's records are gay.

Sir Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones reminds me of the great Russian ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev in his style and looks. Rudolf Nureyev has died now, but he was quite rock 'n' roll back in the day and he liked to party! Women found him sexy. Rudolf Nureyev was a practicing homosexual, or sodomite and he was open about this.

The word 'gay' used to mean someone who was happy and full of joy! It's true you can be gay without being a practicing homosexual, or sodomite. I think Sir Mick Jagger is straight, but he just has a sort of camp, theatrical, flamboyant look when he is performing on stage. Women find Sir Mick sexy and he has had romantic relationships with very attractive women.

Have you heard of "Gay Pride"? Gay pride or LGBT pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity and gender variance.

Gay pride is a spectacle for a minority of a minority. It was a relevant act of rebellion at one time, now it is an impotent and outdated show of narcissism.

As to the first section of your post, yes agreed.

Sir Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones reminds me of the great Russian ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev in his style and looks. Rudolf Nureyev has died now, but he was quite rock 'n' roll back in the day and he liked to party! Women found him sexy. Rudolf Nureyev was a practicing homosexual, or sodomite and he was open about this.
I think Rudolf Nureyev was in fact bisexual/homosexual, as he did have several heterosexual relationships as a younger man. Yeah women found him sexy. I think he was just a sexual type of guy who both men and women found attractive.

Morrissey published his autobiography in October 2013. Johnny Marr should be releasing his autobiography next year! Andy Rourke had a go at writing his autobiography some years ago. Andy Rourke's autobiography never came out in the end. However, I heard he took money from the publishers, or whoever they were anyway.
Now Dale Hibbert has published his autobiography, I'm sure Craig Gannon will be next.

Gay pride is a spectacle for a minority of a minority. It was a relevant act of rebellion at one time, now it is an impotent and outdated show of narcissism.

As to the first section of your post, yes agreed.

Come out of the closet Derek17.

best
BB in KBN
Etc

I'm not in a closet lol

You may not be but you are part of the wider cult dynamic of pretending that his sexuality is a mystery when it's clearly a commercial strategy to avoid alienating 'fans' so that he still has bums on seats in the Flyover States.

best
BB in KBN

Don't get too hung up on the "Gay" statement. It was a discarded conversation, part of multiple suggestions around image. That was it, nothing more. This is more a book about Manchester in the 60's and 70's. It' not being written for money, there's very little money in a book that might only sell a few thousand copies, nor reflective fame, it's just a book about memories, before they are forgotten. Borrow it from a library, that's what they are for.

You may not be but you are part of the wider cult dynamic of pretending that his sexuality is a mystery when it's clearly a commercial strategy to avoid alienating 'fans' so that he still has bums on seats in the Flyover States.

best
BB in KBN

If Morrissey wants to avoid stereotypes and misperceptions, can you really blame him? Well of course you could, but most people, I would hope, realize that just because someone happens to be non-heterosexual does not mean they automatically owe anyone anything "extra" beyond their job description. Morrissey is a singer and a writer. He's not an activist and he's not affiliated with pithy stereotypes. Say what you want about his beliefs, but you can't deny that he has morals and he thinks for himself, regardless if you agree or not. And as you point out, business does come into it. He does have an interest in selling records and singing for crowds and he doesn't want to alienate fans by acknowledging misperceptions, things that his music and writing do not even represent. Why would he want to put himself in a box and lose his humanity while succumbing to the schemas of lazy thinkers (most humans) who would only make assumptions about who he is and what his work intends to convey? He wants, surely, to be viewed unobscured by rainbow tinted lenses, and rightfully so.

Is this book "Boy, Interrupted: Memoir of a Former Smith" by Dale Hibbert still available to buy? I wanted to buy it in paperback form. However, it doesn't seem to be available anymore on Amazon or some other online bookstores. Upset about this! This book didn't come out that long ago. How can it already not be available to buy?

Is this book "Boy, Interrupted: Memoir of a Former Smith" by Dale Hibbert still available to buy? I wanted to buy it in paperback form. However, it doesn't seem to be available anymore on Amazon or some other online bookstores. Upset about this! This book didn't come out that long ago. How can it already not be available to buy?
Because it never came out in the first place. Last month, I emailed the publisher to find out about the status of its release and on Oct. 2 a representative from Pomona Books got back to me and said it should hopefully be published in about a month's time. So the release got pushed back to November at the earliest, but the publication date hasn't been updated on any item listings on Amazon or elsewhere.

Because it never came out in the first place. Last month, I emailed the publisher to find out about the status of its release and on Oct. 2 a representative from Pomona Books got back to me and said it should hopefully be published in about a month's time. So the release got pushed back to November at the earliest, but the publication date hasn't been updated on any item listings on Amazon or elsewhere.
Thank you for this information. On Amazon the book is still there, but it says it is currently unavailable. Do you think it will eventually be available to buy?

Thank you for this information. On Amazon the book is still there, but it says it is currently unavailable. Do you think it will eventually be available to buy?

It should be out shortly, the editing, proof reading has taken a while. I wanted it to be accurate.

The Smiths were a gay band.

Anyone who disagrees is either straight or stupid.

A gay band with not one gay member. The only queer was morrissey and he's Bi
Only a homo or someone stupid would think other wise

When will this book be available? Amazon still says it's unavailable yet I thought it was coming out in September...

Is the book simply about the formation and how you 'left' The Smiths?

Re: "Used To Be A Gay Boy" by Dale Hibbert to be published by Pomona Books (Sep. 2015)

I am looking forward to this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom