Bragg speaks to Radcliffe and Maconie about Morrissey

Interesting. He makes more sense when he doesn't talk about politics.

I thought it was Bob Dylan who made it cool for people with so called "average" voices to perform their own songs.

Bragg's love songs are wonderfully written and I would like him to write more. I can't really go his politics though. I saw him in 1997, great inbetween song banter. He's playing here in Auckland again in March 2014. I'm thinking I'll go along.

Interesting. He makes more sense when he doesn't talk about politics.

I thought it was Bob Dylan who made it cool for people with so called "average" voices to perform their own songs.

Bob has (probably had) a brilliant voice and has written some of the greatest songs of the past forty years or so.

Either Radcliffe or Maconie said that he remembers first hearing Bragg and the Smiths about the same time, pretty much how it was for me, listening to John Peel late at night, tucked up in bed with the NME, that was my introduction to both. I bought Braggs releases and went to all his London gigs just as religiously as I did with the Smiths so when he supported them at the Lyceum a few days after my birthday I was ecstatic. I was shitting bricks the week before , Morrissey had the first of his now legendary throat problems and they'd cancelled all the gigs leading up to that Sunday, he wasn’t fully recovered but I was just happy that the show went on at all.

Going to stick “Life’s a riot with spy vs. spy” on and wallow in nostalgia, “The man in the iron mask” has to be one of the greatest, saddest love songs ever written.

Bragg's great and he's matured as a performer and songwriter- I kind of feel like we grew up together. I saw him years ago here in Upstate New York opening up for either Barenaked Ladies or TMBG... can't remember as I only stayed and watched Billy perform.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom