Brief new interview with Spencer Cobrin

The best solo-Moz drummer from the best solo-Moz band.

Spencer was humble. I like those drums-playing during "Youre the one for Me, Fatty" era.

Thanks, Giselle for posting this.

I ust got a text while reading this..."Maybe..." :p

Agreed. Spencer and the boys were his best band--no debate at all. It's a shame they cannot give it one more go, but time goes by.

The best solo-Moz drummer from the best solo-Moz band.

^^ Agreed.

If you look at his career as a whole, Moz only ever had 2 real bands. Obviously The Smiths, and as a solo artist his original line-up with Alain, Boz, Gary and Spencer.
The rest, I personally consider session musicians, accomplished instrument players (in most cases :p), but easily replaceable.
I would not call his current set-up a band.

I wonder if he's looking for work as a drummer?! I know where there is a job going..... doubt he needs to put up with anymore anti semitic comments though from a certain person.

I don't think I've ever typed "I wish Morrissey would...," at least not that I can remember, but this is one time I do wish he'd ring up Spencer, say sorry for the remark (and whatever else) and invite him back to drum live and write songs.

"Where would you say your initial love for Rockabilly emerged from?

SC: It came from psychobilly. The psychobillies I hung around with at the time were also into rockabilly, so I started playing drums in rockabilly bands. Prior to psychobilly I was very much into 80’s anarcho-peace punk, bands such as Crass, Conflict, Subhumans, Flux of Pink Indians, Chumbawumba and Rudimentary Peni. Before that I was a Mod and became an eternal lover of Northern Soul."

spencer is punx.

I don't think I've ever typed "I wish Morrissey would...," at least not that I can remember, but this is one time I do wish he'd ring up Spencer, say sorry for the remark (and whatever else) and invite him back to drum live and write songs.

That would be great but I don't see Spencer gellin' with the new guys, particularly Jesse and Solomon. I think we'll see either an American or Mexican as the new drummer.

I noticed on the wikipedia page for the band Bush, Spencer is listed as a fill in drummer back in 1992.. Never heard this before. Must have been on his down time during Your Arsenal?

Spencer really grew as a drummer during his years with Moz. The playing on "Southpaw Grammar" and "Maladjusted" really holds up and has great balance between ferocity and feeling. He and Matt Walker have been my fave Moz drummers.

^^ Agreed.

If you look at his career as a whole, Moz only ever had 2 real bands. Obviously The Smiths, and as a solo artist his original line-up with Alain, Boz, Gary and Spencer.
The rest, I personally consider session musicians, accomplished instrument players (in most cases :p), but easily replaceable.
I would not call his current set-up a band.

Absolutely right on target. I could not agree more.

The guys Moz has now aren't really a band at all but rather hired hands to back him up. I do not get that "band" feeling from them at all and yes, they all can be replaced and no one would ever notice (well except in Jesse's case because if he were replaced, it would be a marked improvement on guitar for a lot of reasons).

Look i can see how some people can see the first band as the best band.
Boz, Alain, Gary and Spencer all played well together but i believe it was the first point that keyboards were added that the band started to act, play, sing, travel and record like a band. And in my opinion they have subsequently produced some great songs that they can all be very proud of.

But i just dont see the issue with Jesse. He can play. Is it because he came into the band to replace Alain ? He didnt really replace Alain he was covering for.him for a while. Alain and Jesse are great people and they both have good and bad points. We are all human and we all make mistakes.

Northern Views.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom