By Grand Central Station, I Sat Down and Wept

L

Lifeguard Sleeping

Hi all.

I recently blew the dust off this book in an attempt to read it again. I thought that the recent similar events in my life (don't hate me) would help me better understand it and that the book would even offer me some kind of comfort.

But arrrrggghhh...I just don't GET it! :(">

What am I, stoopid?

I mean, I get the GIST of it, but it reads like a Wolfeian stream-of-conscienceness that I've never been good at following.

Anyone have any thoughts on this book, or can recommend another book with similar subject matter?

I need advice!!
I need adviiiice!!

I'm having trouble reading this twiiiiiice!

(hehehe...again, "sorry")

This book seems be developing some sort of cult following, a fact I can't understand. I see it's title being name dropped here and there.

I've read it, can't say it moved me a great deal however this quote made it's way into my note book.

" For who plans suicide sitting in the sun? It is the pile of dust under the bed, the dirty sheets that were never washed that precipitate fatal action".

"By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept"
Elizabeth Smart

I always find reccomending books is like music and I'm always alone in my tastes however you could try
"Alone" Beverely Farmer
"Written on the Body" Janette Winterson, although it is a bit Wolfian"
anything by Katherine Mansfield
"Pig" Andrew Cowan, a wonderful novel about loss
"Keep the Aspadira Flying" George Orwell
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

Go to your local library and ask your friendly librarian, they should help.

> I always find reccomending books is like music and I'm always
> alone in my tastes however you could try

Written on the body .. it's well written indeed. I also liked Winterson's short stories (the 24 hour dog, the lives of Saints) that were published recently.

I reread Ondaatje's "In the skin of a lion" recently, and I appreciated it more than 10 years ago.

Anyone who's had The Wrong Boy in his/her hands yet? I ordered it a few days ago ...

I have been trying to get a copy of that....Barnes and Noble here hasn't even heard of it.(The Wronged Boy) Did you order it online?

> I have been trying to get a copy of that....Barnes and Noble
> here hasn't even heard of it.(The Wronged Boy) Did you order it
> online?

online? Oh dear. Me online is an event that is limited to a message board... (I ordered The Wrong Boy from Waterstone here). Would take a week, they said. I'm a patient human being.

Back
Top Bottom