"By Grand Central Station I Sat Down & Wept"

iamkali62

Ok. I've heard a lot about this book and that it's one of Morrissey's favorites. Has anyone here read it, and what say you- did you love it, hate it, or just, meh? I know some other authors he likes- Pessoa, Dickens, probably anything having to do with The Krays; etc. Now, omitting "Rough Trade Journal" :p what other authors does he enjoy? Thanks.

Ok. I've heard a lot about this book and that it's one of Morrissey's favorites. Has anyone here read it, and what say you- did you love it, hate it, or just, meh? I know some other authors he likes- Pessoa, Dickens, probably anything having to do with The Krays; etc. Now, omitting "Rough Trade Journal" :p what other authors does he enjoy? Thanks.

I read it a couple of weeks ago, and noted all of the Smiths Moz refernces. It's a bit intense, really.

Peter

I read it a couple of weeks ago, and noted all of the Smiths Moz refernces. It's a bit intense, really.

Peter

But intense in a good way? Someone here mentioned it was too kitschy. I might buy it on your recommendation. :D

But intense in a good way? Someone here mentioned it was too kitschy. I might buy it on your recommendation. :D

It's something I've been meaning to read for yonks, and this thread has just prompted me to get a copy. Copies go for as little as a penny on Amazon, so here goes my penny.... :)

I loathe it. Overblown, pretentious, unreadable babble and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. I had high expectations of the book (a reviewer on the cover says "I doubt there are a dozen such masterpieces in the world") and it was an absolute letdown. I love books but I found that one incredibly hard to read, the prose is tangled and confusing and the ending is poor.

Not to put you off or anything......:o

It's something I've been meaning to read for yonks, and this thread has just prompted me to get a copy. Copies go for as little as a penny on Amazon, so here goes my penny.... :)

A penny is about all it's worth :p

Kate - your inbox is full, I can't PM you :(

Peter

I loathe it. Overblown, pretentious, unreadable babble and that's the nicest thing I can say about it. I had high expectations of the book (a reviewer on the cover says "I doubt there are a dozen such masterpieces in the world") and it was an absolute letdown. I love books but I found that one incredibly hard to read, the prose is tangled and confusing and the ending is poor.

Not to put you off or anything......:o

LMAO! Well, there, I guess you DO detest it! :o) I'm asking why because I have a $50 Amazon.com gift card sitting in front of me and I want to buy something. When I get depressed, I head straight for Amazon. Bought the two Artic Monkeys yesterday and a bio of Jackson Pollock. If I save this card for next week, I can buy this really beautiful pen by Cross but it seems like a waste to spend that much on a pen. :rolleyes:

A penny is about all it's worth :p

Kate - your inbox is full, I can't PM you :(

Hm, I think that's a good idea, buying it cheap from a bookseller. I may do that. I want to find out what all the hype is about.

LMAO! Well, there, I guess you DO detest it! :o) I'm asking why because I have a $50 Amazon.com gift card sitting in front of me and I want to buy something. When I get depressed, I head straight for Amazon. Bought the two Artic Monkeys yesterday and a bio of Jackson Pollock. If I save this card for next week, I can buy this really beautiful pen by Cross but it seems like a waste to spend that much on a pen. :rolleyes:

I spend more money on Amazon than any other shopping site, got some really great books recently and I've just ordered 'Transformations' by Anne Sexton :)

it is a very intense read,well for me anyways.
morrissey does love it and the title was on his mind when he played virginia,it was after the cancellations had begun to happen last summer,this was the one show inbetween the nyc he didnt play show and the philly and new jersey cancellations.yeah i have a good memory.

this was filmed by our own SDHIGBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend more money on Amazon than any other shopping site, got some really great books recently and I've just ordered 'Transformations' by Anne Sexton :)

Isn't she wonderful? I have her complete works. The Awful Rowing Towards God is very very scary. Oh, Amy, Amazon is my pimp. I'm chasing the dragon :o)

Last edited:
Isn't she wonderful? I have her complete works. The Awful Rowing Towards God is very very scary.

Yeah, she killed herself after she wrote it, I think I remember discussing it with you on MySpace? Grim stuff, but fascinating.

it is a very intense read,well for me anyways.
morrissey does love it and the title was on his mind when he played virginia,it was after the cancellations had begun to happen last summer,this was the one show inbetween the nyc he didnt play show and the philly and new jersey cancellations.yeah i have a good memory.

this was filmed by our own SDHIGBIE

Hm, if I ever met Moz, I'd want to compare notes on books. It would be sheer heaven to wander around in a dusty used bookstore with him on a Saturday. Thanks, Terence, I appreciate it much! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this book long before I knew Moz liked it, based on the title and cover art alone. My copy has an image of an angel statue on the cover, which caught my eye. I read the first sentence and I was hooked.

I plunged right in and all of a sudden all these lyrics began sprouting out of the page. I got all tingly....and I thought, I bet Morrissey has read this.

This was well over 10 years ago, and I had just started to look for web sites about Moz on the Internet. I found one that had a list of literary references in his songs (I cannot for the life of me remember which site it was, or if its still around). I didn't see Elizabeth Smart mentioned anywhere, so I compiled my list of quotes and song lyrics and sent the webmaster an e-mail. He hadn't heard of the book before and he sent me a thank you and posted all my references, and I thought that was really really cool.

Mind you, I'm sure Morrissey had mentioned the book before in interviews, or someone else had noticed it before me, but I never knew til I read it and it was like a special discovery....

Anyway, I personally love the book.

But I love things that are done on a grand and dramatic scale. It's biblical in proportion, yeah, you could say its too much, but for me it isn't. I like the passion, the murky depths of it. It's one long passionate dirge. And never dull.

I've read it many times, and I always pick new things out of it to love.

I say get it :)

I bought this book long before I knew Moz liked it, based on the title and cover art alone. My copy has an image of an angel statue on the cover, which caught my eye. I read the first sentence and I was hooked.

I plunged right in and all of a sudden all these lyrics began sprouting out of the page. I got all tingly....and I thought, I bet Morrissey has read this.

This was well over 10 years ago, and I had just started to look for web sites about Moz on the Internet. I found one that had a list of literary references in his songs (I cannot for the life of me remember which site it was, or if its still around). I didn't see Elizabeth Smart mentioned anywhere, so I compiled my list of quotes and song lyrics and sent the webmaster an e-mail. He hadn't heard of the book before and he sent me a thank you and posted all my references, and I thought that was really really cool.

Mind you, I'm sure Morrissey had mentioned the book before in interviews, or someone else had noticed it before me, but I never knew til I read it and it was like a special discovery....

Anyway, I personally love the book.

But I love things that are done on a grand and dramatic scale. It's biblical in proportion, yeah, you could say its too much, but for me it isn't. I like the passion, the murky depths of it. It's one long passionate dirge. And never dull.

I've read it many times, and I always pick new things out of it to love.

I say get it :)

Julie, you had me at "I say get it" (will order.) Thanks, everyone. :)

I read this book recently and I too would recommend. Like Je Suis Julie's, my copy has a picture of the Cupid & Psyche statue and includes the sequel The Assumption of the Rogues and Rascals which is quite good as well. The language is often difficult to decipher. Poetic prose isn't one of my favorite genres. If I still couldn't make out the meaning of certain passages by the third read, I moved on. But on the other hand, other passages spoke to me so clearly and profoundly ... seriously like a knife in the heart ... those made up for the parts that went flying over my head. I honestly felt a sense of accomplishment when I finally finished reading both books. It's one that I'm sure upon subsequent readings will become deeper and more meaningful ... like discovering subtleties in a favorite movie that you watch over and over again.

And it's fun to read it with a highlighter too and pick out all the Morrissey inspired quotes ... there are a bunch. "Well I Wonder" is nearly a direct lift from what I remember.

Anyways, there are my two cents ... which btw I think the book is worth a bit more than. :)

I read this book recently and I too would recommend. Like Je Suis Julie's, my copy has a picture of the Cupid & Psyche statue and includes the sequel The Assumption of the Rogues and Rascals which is quite good as well. The language is often difficult to decipher. Poetic prose isn't one of my favorite genres. If I still couldn't make out the meaning of certain passages by the third read, I moved on. But on the other hand, other passages spoke to me so clearly and profoundly ... seriously like a knife in the heart ... those made up for the parts that went flying over my head. I honestly felt a sense of accomplishment when I finally finished reading both books. It's one that I'm sure upon subsequent readings will become deeper and more meaningful ... like discovering subtleties in a favorite movie that you watch over and over again.

And it's fun to read it with a highlighter too and pick out all the Morrissey inspired quotes ... there are a bunch. "Well I Wonder" is nearly a direct lift from what I remember.

Anyways, there are my two cents ... which btw I think the book is worth a bit more than. :)

Thank you all. The copy I'm ordering I think is a Vintage (publisher) and I see the cover you mentioned. I mean, as long as this isn't like reading, "Finnegans Wake" or anything, I should be fine. :p

I have also read the book, it is absulutely wonderful. If you can find the binding with "Of Rogues & Rascals" included, it contains some great quotes as well, although they are not related to Smiths material...OR&R is considered to be a sort of sequel to "By Grand Central Station..."

Both books are really touching in their personal honesty, and the authors sometimes sarcastic tone can be quite amusing when it isn't heartbreaking. The writing itself is quite beautiful, and while it is difficult to understand at times, does make re-reading more enjoyable.

good luck

i loved it. the language that she uses is beautiful. it really was FUN to read. a bit overdramatic, yeah but i think the style makes up for the story.

Back
Top Bottom