California residents can help stop kangaroo slaughter

D

Dave

Kangaroos need your help now more than ever! Senate Bill 880 (SB 880), which would allow the sale of kangaroo skins and body parts in the state of California, has now passed the Assembly Water, Parks, and Wildlife Committee and moves to the Assembly for a floor vote.

Millions of kangaroos are shot for their skins every year in Australia. According to Australian government code, orphaned joeys and wounded adults should be killed by decapitation or by being hit sharply on the head "to destroy the brain." When hunters kill a mother kangaroo who has a baby in her pouch, the baby is often yanked from the mother's lifeless body and stomped to death or left to writhe in agony. Please take a moment to speak out against SB 880:

- Call, e-mail, or fax your state assemblymember today and ask that he or she vote "No" on SB 880. Even if you have previously contacted your assemblymember in behalf of the kangaroos, please do so again and remind him or her of your opposition to this bill.
- Contact the governor and urge him to veto SB 880 if the bill passes the Assembly and makes it to his desk:

The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger
Governor of California
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-445-2841
916-445-4633 (fax)
[email protected]
- Forward this e-mail and video to your friends and family members in California and ask them to take action for kangaroos.

Allowing kangaroo skins to be sold in California would threaten the species's existence. Australian government statistics show that kangaroo populations have been dwindling and are now the lowest that they have been in more than a decade. Since hunters usually kill kangaroos at night, it is virtually impossible for them to check that the kangaroos aren't a protected species before shooting them. An increased demand for any kangaroo skin will further jeopardize Australia's kangaroo populations. Help stop SB 880 today!

Thank you for everything you do to help animals!

Sincerely,

Deedra Aro, Activist Liaison
PETA
[email protected] | 757-962-8269

Everyone can help stop kangaroo slaughter

Thank you for your email to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The Governor appreciates hearing from concerned and involved Californians, as well as from individuals all over the world who have an interest in California.

Governor Schwarzenegger is committed to restoring your confidence in state government. As the Governor has said, with hard work and your help, California will once again be the "Golden Dream by the Sea".

Due to the unprecedented number of emails sent to the Governor, there may be a delay in immediately responding to your email. Please know that the Governor's office is making every effort to respond to your inquiry and will ensure that your voice is heard by the Governor.

To help us respond to you, please include your email address when you communicate with the Governor's Office. Please note that we are unable to accept e-mail attachments because of the risk of Internet viruses. We ask that you please send your attachments via traditional mail to:

Office of the Governor
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

For more information about Governor Schwarzenegger and the State of California, please visit the California website at www.ca.gov.

Again, thank you for your email. Governor Schwarzenegger is proud to serve you and all Californians.

Australian government statistics show that kangaroo populations have been dwindling and are now the lowest that they have been in more than a decade.

I didn't know that, as fas as I knew the Kangaroo was still considered a bit of a 'pest'.

thanks for bumping the thread. I don't live in Australia but what I do know is that David Beckham just moved to California. He has a line of shoes made by Addidas which are made of the hides of kangaroos. The sale of Kangaroo hide is illegal in California. Now, since his arrival, coincidentally, they are trying to legalize kangaroo hide. I'm hoping that they don't.

From what I read there are different types of kangaroo and some of them are disappearing.

I read this at http://www.american.edu/TED/kangaroo.htm

"The issue of this case revolves around configuring the right recommendation for curbing the knagaroo population. For years, the kangaroo has been seen as a "pest", a hindrance to cattle production. Millions of kangaroos were killed over the past two hundred years. Today, many see the kangaroo not as a pest, but a native specie that should be protected.Thus, it is imminent that a proper population management system be devised before the systemic killing and harvesting leaves the kangaroo extinct."

I was wondering who would see it as a pest. The Australian beef industry, it turns out.

I've been thinking about this, as kangaroo meat is sold in pretty much every supermarket here. So perhaps the beef (cattle) 'industry' views kangaroo meat as competition? Its certainly being promoted as the healthier (and environmentally friendlier) option.

As for Beckham & Adidas...he should get new boots!

All I can say is that I'm too poor to go to restaurants but
I know that it's sometimes on the menu.
I've never eaten kangaroo personally and I don't think I could.

Back
Top Bottom