"California Son" review in Classic Pop (5/10)

New review in Classic Pop.
Gets a bit of a vicious slagging and a 5/10.
Much of the review predictably focuses on his more recent troubling statements.
Bit surprising as Classic Pop are generally v positive about him.
Think they might have even given Low in High School 10/10 (or equivalent).

The review in full:
Classic Pop Magazine (May '19):

20190425_232455.jpg

20190426_094423.jpg

"In making his 12th studio album a covers record, you’d think Morrissey might be looking to avoid controversy. It would, after all, be a relief not to separate art from artist. But Christ, he makes it hard. Can we really believe, given his history, he’s not trolling us when he sings, on Bob Dylan’s Only A Pawn In Their Game , “You’re better than them/ You been born with white skin”? It’s probably best if we don’t go there, but it’s a shame no one thought to tell him, too. Anyway, elsewhere Mozza reinterprets his favourite songs from the 1960s and 70s, with Carly Simon’s When You Close Your Eyes suiting him surprisingly well, and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste on board for a casual saunter around Jobriath’s Morning Starship . He’s joined, too –albeit briefly –by LP (aka Laura Pergolizzi) for a loyal interpretation of Roy Orbison’s It’s Over . It’s odd, though, to hear Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong serenaded on the soulful easy listening of Laura Nyro’s Wedding Bell Blues , while Broken Social Scene’s Ariel Engle (who, upon learning of Morrissey’s politics, voiced regret at their collaboration) can’t quite rescue the jazzy shapes of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow . Gary Puckett & The Union Gap’s Lady Willpower , moreover, is a guilty pleasure too far. Still, better that than…WW"

(The last line of the review is not a typo and WW= Wyndham Wallace).

Regards,
FWD.

Edit:
This little retro snippet was in it too:
20190425_232154.jpg

If this ends up on Facebook (just like Uncut did), perhaps the courtesy of credit - at least for this site?

I don't care if it's a great or crap record. There is so much good music to discover. New Cure and Pixies albums to look forward to. Old albums to unearth and appreciate. Excellent soundtracks to bombard our sonic senses. So I'm not gonna get worked up over a covers album.

The review in full:
Classic Pop Magazine (May '19):

View attachment 48936

View attachment 48934

"In making his 12th studio album a covers record, you’d think Morrissey might be looking to avoid controversy. It would, after all, be a relief not to separate art from artist. But Christ, he makes it hard. Can we really believe, given his history, he’s not trolling us when he sings, on Bob Dylan’s Only A Pawn In Their Game , “You’re better than them/ You been born with white skin”? It’s probably best if we don’t go there, but it’s a shame no one thought to tell him, too. Anyway, elsewhere Mozza reinterprets his favourite songs from the 1960s and 70s, with Carly Simon’s When You Close Your Eyes suiting him surprisingly well, and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste on board for a casual saunter around Jobriath’s Morning Starship . He’s joined, too –albeit briefly –by LP (aka Laura Pergolizzi) for a loyal interpretation of Roy Orbison’s It’s Over . It’s odd, though, to hear Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong serenaded on the soulful easy listening of Laura Nyro’s Wedding Bell Blues , while Broken Social Scene’s Ariel Engle (who, upon learning of Morrissey’s politics, voiced regret at their collaboration) can’t quite rescue the jazzy shapes of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow . Gary Puckett & The Union Gap’s Lady Willpower , moreover, is a guilty pleasure too far. Still, better that than…WW"

(The last line of the review is not a typo and WW= Wyndham Wallace).

Regards,
FWD.

Edit:
This little retro snippet was in it too:
View attachment 48935

Still, better Lady Willpower than...

one of Wyndham Wallaces guilty pleasures from his crappy record collection.

WW= :pileofpoop:

What a female singer LP is, since 'it's over, it was the first time I heard of her, feel ashamed never knew about her, she is incredible....sadly the gig in Amsterdam, on may 6th is sold out [very quick as I read], my next album , already ordred, is Heart to Mouth, released by LP in 2018, but some songs she sang years before

Sorry for being Off topic, waving ...

I don't even think the reviewer understands the meaning of Dylan's song. That's sad.
On a side note, these things happen when people only know how to follow writing rules but have nothing into their brains. Sad indeed.

I don't care if it's a great or crap record. There is so much good music to discover. New Cure and Pixies albums to look forward to. Old albums to unearth and appreciate. Excellent soundtracks to bombard our sonic senses. So I'm not gonna get worked up over a covers album.
Yeah but that new cure album may never come out. I'm sick of typing Cure latest news album. I've been typing those words for years.

Yeah but that new cure album may never come out. I'm sick of typing Cure latest news album. I've been typing those words for years.
Ahhh I'm glad there is another Cure fan on Moz Solo. This time there really will be a new album around Halloween, if you can believe Bob Smith. I'm just hoping it's Disintegration Part 2 and not 4.13 Dream Part 2. It's dangerous putting too much hope on a new album being ace.
I'm going to see The Cure in Dublin in June. Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 19 years since my last Cure concert, these are my sins.

Ahhh I'm glad there is another Cure fan on Moz Solo. This time there really will be a new album around Halloween, if you can believe Bob Smith. I'm just hoping it's Disintegration Part 2 and not 4.13 Dream Part 2. It's dangerous putting too much hope on a new album being ace.
I'm going to see The Cure in Dublin in June. Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 19 years since my last Cure concert, these are my sins.
I'll take a middle of the road cure album like 4:13 Dream over most new music these days. I'm looking forward to 4:13 Scream. I don't need more Disintegration. It's a great album but I think the Kiss Me album is far superior. Disintegration has been overplayed live and they're about to play it here yet again at the Opera House. They've been threatening a Kiss Me tour but it never happened.

Rugbish bull ox. I reckon another foreigner rag writer who is too lazy to afford to live in Moz Angeles or got his house re-possessed like Rusty Brand jealous because The California Son covered classic All American artists. Go home!! Tom Jones, Joy Order, Big Country, and The Cure are all playing on the same bill this weekend at the Island of Lucy. Go talk shit about them foreigner. Leave our American Idol alone.

Morr American Idol.jpg

I'll take a middle of the road cure album like 4:13 Dream over most new music these days. I'm looking forward to 4:13 Scream. I don't need more Disintegration. It's a great album but I think the Kiss Me album is far superior. Disintegration has been overplayed live and they're about to play it here yet again at the Opera House. They've been threatening a Kiss Me tour but it never happened.
Kiss Me... was when I began to appreciate The Cure. I foolishly did the 'can't like them if you like Moz' thing as per my schoolmates, but I have come to love a large amount of the back catalogue.
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom