Can you tell a racist joke & not be racist?

The fact that Silent Reader and nerak type in exactly the same style is, I'm sure, entirely coincidental. I doubt Silent Reader is just a new account set up by nerak to ruffle a few feathers and also to give voice to some of her underlying Tory sensitivities, or anything like that.

If I want to say something then I say it. I don't need another account.

You don't need this account either, over 7000 forgettable posts in one year is an extraordinary waste of time, please consider contacting @davidt about having this account deleted for your own good.

So now every joke told has to be based in hard fact? What a laughable response. How 'woke' of you. I take it you don't have a sense of humour.
The idea is that a joke works by making a logical connection but one that is unexpected. For a joke to work it must make sense.
I didn't mention facts. I was talking about beliefs. You wrote, " if you're in a pub with a mate, saying it quietly, not offending anyone, and you don't mean it, it's just a joke isn't it."
With "and you don't mean it" what exactly are you saying?
How can you "mean it" or not if the joke doesn't contain some sort of belief?

But then when I read the "jokes" you posted they're not that kind of joke. In both there is a character who you consider "other," a black man and an Indian, but neither joke is based on that. Both are based more on a logical trick. In the second one though you'd have to kind of agree that "living next to an Indian" is not a desirable situation. I guess the joke is "Indians prefer white people to Indians." I mean, LOL, right?
That's just kind of stupid. And the one about the "black man who drives a bus" sounds more suited to a playground than a pub.

But to the question, can you tell one of those jokes without being a racist? Possibly, but I think you would have to be a dimwit. They're just not funny.
The real question is "Can a racist joke be funny?" I think the answer to that is yes. But to decide a person "is" "a racist" is a very different thing. Can a person perform racist actions in some situations and not it others? Yes. Can you tell some stupid joke "at the pub" and not actually be stupid? Possibly, but at that moment in time in that situation you would be.

Harmful?

The idea is that a joke works by making a logical connection but one that is unexpected. For a joke to work it must make sense.
I didn't mention facts. I was talking about beliefs. You wrote, " if you're in a pub with a mate, saying it quietly, not offending anyone, and you don't mean it, it's just a joke isn't it."
With "and you don't mean it" what exactly are you saying?
How can you "mean it" or not if the joke doesn't contain some sort of belief?

But then when I read the "jokes" you posted they're not that kind of joke. In both there is a character who you consider "other," a black man and an Indian, but neither joke is based on that. Both are based more on a logical trick. In the second one though you'd have to kind of agree that "living next to an Indian" is not a desirable situation. I guess the joke is "Indians prefer white people to Indians." I mean, LOL, right?
That's just kind of stupid. And the one about the "black man who drives a bus" sounds more suited to a playground than a pub.

But to the question, can you tell one of those jokes without being a racist? Possibly, but I think you would have to be a dimwit. They're just not funny.
The real question is "Can a racist joke be funny?" I think the answer to that is yes. But to decide a person "is" "a racist" is a very different thing. Can a person perform racist actions in some situations and not it others? Yes. Can you tell some stupid joke "at the pub" and not actually be stupid? Possibly, but at that moment in time in that situation you would be.

:eek:

WTF FAKE C??!!
jokes are LOGICAL🤒?
having 3 serbs twist one serb holding a lightbulb is LOGICAL WTF FC
can you explain how this can possibly be logical?:rolleyes:

and BELIEFS are NOT FACTS??? its not a fact that I believe the sky is blue???o_O
this makes NO SENSE FC!!!
you are racist and stupid at certain times but not in others, otherwise you are a dimwit?????:crazy:
SAY WHAT??? dont be slippery and explain all this nonsensical stuff FFS🥸

FC i think you just broke your previous record for posting stupid stuff.:trophy:

You don't need this account either, over 7000 forgettable posts in one year is an extraordinary waste of time, please consider contacting @davidt about having this account deleted for your own good.

Why would they need to be deleted if you've forgotten them?

20201102_043341.jpg

"And is evil just something you are or something you do?"

The Tibetans say that the correct way of thinking leads to a correct way of talking and both of them lead to a correct way of acting. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Untruth-no, the point of the Indian joke is the White guy is racist but lives next to an Indian.

I've got more!

Why don't you see many Pakistani footballers? Because everytime they get a corner, they build a shop on it.

You know, I haven't done internet forums for a good 12 years ,& I see these 'multiple account' bullshit theories still get thrown around.

And how am I ruffling any feathers? Other than anybody whose entire life is being on here (apart from when their mum calls them for tea) & don't like having their clique disrupted?

Untruth-no, the point of the Indian joke is the White guy is racist but lives next to an Indian.

I've got more!

Why don't you see many Pakistani footballers? Because everytime they get a corner, they build a shop on it.
That is the premise. The white guy is racist and lives next to an Indian.
But the joke is not about the white guy. The Indian gets the punchline and the point, the reason that this would qualify as a joke, and the thing that it's based on must be the point.

That is the premise. The white guy is racist and lives next to an Indian.
But the joke is not about the white guy. The Indian gets the punchline and the point, the reason that this would qualify as a joke, and the thing that it's based on must be the point.

The joke is about the white guy - he's the one saying he's better than the Indian, the Indian uses the white guy's own belief system to prove that he's better than the white guy. It's undercutting.

The joke is about the white guy - he's the one saying he's better than the Indian, the Indian uses the white guy's own belief system to prove that he's better than the white guy. It's undercutting.
Paralysis through analysis.

People who believe in the existence of human races are racist. All types of decisions based on that idea are racism.

Re the above Fake C, Nerak & Mozmar posts, I was losing faith already in this forum but you’ve restored it with some common sense responses. Thank you.

And even the football joke is just a bit of lighthearted humour, it’s not really offensive.

IMO.

Re the above Fake C, Nerak & Mozmar posts, I was losing faith already in this forum but you’ve restored it with some common sense responses. Thank you.

And even the football joke is just a bit of lighthearted humour, it’s not really offensive.

IMO.
I think some of our (English) humour gets lost in translation when it heads west over the Pond, & we maybe have a different mindset over here.

I remember years ago, in watching some US TV, thinking those over the Pond laughed at anything & everything...none of which I found to be funny. But then again many of their shows were heavily laced with canned-laughter, just to give people a clue as to when they should actually laugh, as something supposedly funny had just been spouted, despite it not necessarily having been the case.

Some years on, thru the likes of Friends & Frasier, et al, things changed, and their humour became more humorous to us, & maybe vice versa.

Untruth's over-analysis, over-dissection, & what I can only describe as mega-babble-gymnastics, was also humorous, but I guess he doesn't actually realise. That said, he's not ready for stand-up just yet.

Maybe it's all still work in progress...

🤒

Fake C is ready for stand up mop duty on aisle 6🥸

Back
Top Bottom