Choose one song from each solo album you'd like to have heard Johnny guest on

mcrickson

Reckless Endangerment
Include Bona. You can select a B-side from a period single in the place of an album track.

In this exercise, the music is still written by Street/Whyte/Boorer/Tobias/etc, the general melody and song structure remains, Johnny is just invited in to play guitar and possibly to contribute minor arrangement niceties - a transitional riff here or there. The bottom line is, "Fatty" is still for the most part the "Fatty" you all know and love, just with Johnny Marr's touch on it.

I'm most interested in seeing what people would pick for Quarry-era on.

with johnboys latest interview, sticking the boot in I wouldn't have him anywhere near an imaginary studio with M and the band.

A fun and different thread topic! I’ll play.
My choice: the title track World Peace is None of Your Business. It has some big guitar solos that I think could be made nicer.

I think from that album I'd pick "Earth is the Loneliest Planet." It'd be interesting to me to hear how he'd find a place to mesh in with Gustavo's organ and Matt's rhythm.

Include Bona. You can select a B-side from a period single in the place of an album track.

In this exercise, the music is still written by Street/Whyte/Boorer/Tobias/etc, the general melody and song structure remains, Johnny is just invited in to play guitar and possibly to contribute minor arrangement niceties - a transitional riff here or there. The bottom line is, "Fatty" is still for the most part the "Fatty" you all know and love, just with Johnny Marr's touch on it.

I'm most interested in seeing what people would pick for Quarry-era on.
mcrikson when you said IN THIS EXERCISE I thought I was back at school,will bring you in an apple.

Viva Hate: I Don't Mind if you Forget me
Bona Drag: Lucky Lisp
Kill Uncle: King Leer
Your Arsenal: Tomorrow
Vauxhall and I: Billy Budd
Southpaw Grammar: Reader Meet Author
Maladjusted: Lost
You are th Quarry: I like You
Ringleader: The Father Who Must be Killed
Years of Refusal: Sorry Doesn't Help
World Peace: One of Our Own
Low in High School: I Wish Yu Lonely

Viva Hate - ‘Late Night, Maudlin Street’

Bona Drag - ‘Yes, I Am Blind’

Kill Uncle - ‘Driving Your Girlfriend Home’

Your Arsenal - ‘Seasick, Yet Still Docked’

Vauxhall and I - ‘Used To Be A Sweet Boy’

Southpaw Grammar - ‘The Operation’

Maladjusted - ‘Ambitious Outsiders’

You Are The Quarry - ‘You Know I Couldn’t Last’

Ringleader Of The Tormentors - ‘I Just Want To See The Boy Happy’

Years Of Refusal - ‘I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris’

World Peace Is None Of Your Buisness - ‘Mountjoy’

Low In High School - ‘Home Is A Question Mark’

I'm going to go with none. Johnny obviously composed and spent hour upon hour crafting the guitar sound in The Smiths and that was where the magic came. Morrissey's solo stuff is what it is and are the creations of other people.

I'm going to go with none. Johnny obviously composed and spent hour upon hour crafting the guitar sound in The Smiths and that was where the magic came. Morrissey's solo stuff is what it is and are the creations of other people.
For f***s sake, it's a bit of harmless fun, lighten up!

I'd like to hear Johnny play the electric bagpipes on 'The Kid's a Looker'. Just for shits n' giggles.

Viva Hate: Suedehead
Bona Drag: Disappointed
Kill Uncle: Our Frank
Arsenal: Fatty
Vauxhall: Sweet Boy
Southpaw: Reader Meet Author
Maladjusted: He Cried
Quarry: How Could Anybody
Ringleader: The Youngest
Refusal: Black Cloud
World Peace: Staircase
High School: Who Will Protect Us From the Police

Late night
Piccadilly palace
Asian rut
Well let you know
The more you ignore me
N/A
Lost
America is not the world
You have killed me
When last I spoke to carol
Mountjoy
Isreal

I don’t feel there is any song on any album until Ringleader that Marr would have made much of a difference on seeing as the band was competent until that point.

I’ll Never Be Anybody’s Hero Now
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Julie In The Weeds
I Wish You Lonely

Low in high school was a tough one for me. I wanted to go jacky as I think it the one that could most easily be improved from an alright song to a great one. Also the verse in home could use a bit more flow but ultimately I thought some subtle additions to Israel would make one of the best songs musical that much better. Ringleader was also a tough one

late night, maudlin street
picadilly palare
found found found
seasick yet still docked
spring-heeled jim
girl least likely to

It's not one from each album, but these ones would be interesting:

Honey, You Know Where to Find Me
Jack the Ripper
Nobody Loves Us
Come Back to Camden

1. Viva Hate | Break Up the Family
  2. Kill Uncle | The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye
  3. Your Arsenal | We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful
  4. Vauxhall and I | Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
  5. Southpaw Grammar | Reader Meet Author
  6. Maladjusted | Sorrow Will Come in the End
  7. You are the Quarry | All the Lazy Dykes
  8. Ringleader of the Tormentors | The Father Who Must be Killed
  9. Years of Refusal | You Were Good in Your Time
  10. World Peace is None of Your Business | Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
  11. Low in High School | I Bury the Living
These are the tracks from each album from which there’s just something lacking. It’s possible Marr might have been able to bring a little sparkle, flourish, counter-melody or what-have-you that could have 'unflattened' them.

All that being said, looking back on this list, it would still make an interesting compilation album. Not many artists you can say that about.

Viva hate - Bengali in platforms (I thought about hairdresser on fire but I guess that's depends on what album you own)
Bona drag - November spawned a monster
Kill uncle - king leer
Your arsenal - well let you know
Vauxhall and I - the more you ignore (for some reason I kinda wanted to choose used to be a sweet boy)
Southpaw - honey you know where to find me (I hate this album so went with the reissue)
Maladjusted - alma matters
You are the quarry - come back to Camden
Ringleader - dear god please help me
Years of refusal - you were good in your time (this was the hardest choice as I couldn't see marr squeezing in anywhere or adding much without really changing the song)
Swords - Christian Dior
World peace is none of your business - I'm not a man
Low in high school - home is a question mark

Didn't really wanna choose between album tracks and non album tracks but the song I'd really like to see him on is girl least likely to

Back
Top Bottom