Classic Pop: Sparks on Morrissey - "it's saddening, very disheartening"

In a new interview in Classic Pop, the Sparks are asked about Morrissey.
"We love so much of what he's done, to see his stance against humanity seems so contradictory. From his music we thought inclusion would be part of his views. When it comes to us versus them,
Morrissey seems to be on the side of them. It's very disheartening."

Scan posted by Famous when dead:

full

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell your album by criticizing Morrissey. Come on. Not the first.

This seems quite appropriate right now:

I've tried and failed to get into Sparks on several occasions but I bought this single when it was released and it's still a Desert Island Disc.

I'm the same, 'This Town' was an OK pop song & the only one (as far as I'm concerned) that they're really remembered for, which reached UK No.2 slot in 1974 - a novel sound, but that's all...these 2 were a freak show really (or that's the way they wanted to be perceived) & I really don't understand Morrissey liking them so much - maybe because they were just odd. They were shit imho & cannot believe they are still around. I wonder how many times they've sang 'This Town'? The mind boggles.
If they are on your DID listing, I'd hate to imagine what other shit you've got on that list.
Sparks Shmarks. :rolleyes:

I find it incredibly depressing that artists like Sparks, known for their quirky and defiant originality, should have hitched themselves to the 'liberal' bandwagon and feel the need to use words straight out of the corporate HR manual like 'inclusion'. What kind of debate can we have if everyone must think the same about everything, and can only voice the 'correct' opinions? This frantic smothering of other voices - with people falling over themselves to signal their compliance for fear that they, too, will be cancelled - is unhealthy and troubling.

I find it incredibly depressing that artists like Sparks, known for their quirky and defiant originality, should have hitched themselves to the 'liberal' bandwagon and feel the need to use words straight out of the corporate HR manual like 'inclusion'. What kind of debate can we have if everyone must think the same about everything, and can only voice the 'correct' opinions? This frantic smothering of other voices - with people falling over themselves to signal their compliance for fear that they, too, will be cancelled - is unhealthy and troubling.
Well they have a new album, innit?

They're so scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career

Unfortunately we know that the Sparks' suspicions are spot on. They haven't even mentioned Steve's unequivocal backing of a far-right political group, or his declaration that he prefers his own race. Things are even worse than the Sparks seem to have realised.

Most people prefer their own race.....I guess most people are racists.

They're going by what they've read & they hedge their bets by saying it might not be true.

The Anon who started the thread showing how pull-quotes can make something more damning than it is - which is pretty much what always happens to Morrissey.

ahahah Neraks usual river of appologies. Yeh its never Melvis fault. its always the others

Dude and you sound exactly like Breitbard

I love Sparks. Such a wonderful oddity in terms of rock and pop. I just think they have read a few quotes out of context and misunderstood where Moz is coming from. Firstly, Moz's politics is driven by his belief in animal rights. For Britain want to ban halal slaughter - they are the only party in Britain that do - so Moz backs them. Secondly, Moz's roots are proudly working class. Since the 1950s there has been a concerted attempt to destroy the English working class, mainly through mass immigration. If there is an 'us versus them' in modern Britain, then 'us' is the liberal elite who hate Britain, and 'them' is the working class. Moz has definitely come out in favour of 'them' - those who are voiceless and ignored by the mainstream. A story this week that modern slavery is rife in contemporary Britain. And why is it out of control? Because the police are scared of being branded 'racist' and have left the sweatshop bosses alone. The 'woke' would rather concentrate on taking the knee and vandalising statues.

RACIST ALL OVER

ahahah Neraks usual river of appologies. Yeh its never Melvis fault. its always the others

Look at the interview & then look at the Anon's deliberate distortion. They included caveats - he look them out.

That isn't Morrissey's fault.

Doubt he cares - but I think it's gross for people who work the circuit to attack someone who doesn't.
Well it's people that were his friends that then think it's ok to publicly 'slate' him through reading some out of context bits and pieces that the bullshit brigade have cobbled together, now THAT'S very disheartening.

Aye the Sparks have not talked to him. he wore a badge of a UK RACIST PARTY live on US Television and the 14 registered yay sayers here are crying "its out of context".

I love Sparks. Such a wonderful oddity in terms of rock and pop. I just think they have read a few quotes out of context and misunderstood where Moz is coming from. Firstly, Moz's politics is driven by his belief in animal rights. For Britain want to ban halal slaughter - they are the only party in Britain that do - so Moz backs them. Secondly, Moz's roots are proudly working class. Since the 1950s there has been a concerted attempt to destroy the English working class, mainly through mass immigration. If there is an 'us versus them' in modern Britain, then 'us' is the liberal elite who hate Britain, and 'them' is the working class. Moz has definitely come out in favour of 'them' - those who are voiceless and ignored by the mainstream. A story this week that modern slavery is rife in contemporary Britain. And why is it out of control? Because the police are scared of being branded 'racist' and have left the sweatshop bosses alone. The 'woke' would rather concentrate on taking the knee and vandalising statues.
Dude - did you ever read the post where our Steve urges everyone to vote for these clowns? Not a single mention of animal rights or halal slaughter.
Just nonsense like this; "For Britain is the bulldog breed that will never surrender". The kind of meaningless crap you'd expect to hear from a deeply unpleasant, politically illiterate, Sun reader.

She sounds exactly like a lot of progressives who realise this is the opposite of progress.

Do you realize whats your sound? "no Its never Morrissey-s fault" an endless lonely river of apologies. You are talking about progress ?

Aye the Sparks have not talked to him. he wore a badge of a UK RACIST PARTY live on US Television and the 14 registered yay sayers here are crying "its out of context".
Crashing Bore escaped from the loony bin alert!!!

Dude - did you ever read the post where our Steve urges everyone to vote for these clowns? Not a single mention of animal rights or halal slaughter.
Just nonsense like this; "For Britain is the bulldog breed that will never surrender". The kind of meaningless crap you'd expect to hear from a deeply unpleasant, politically illiterate, Sun reader.
Aye ok Phil Mitchell.

Actually it is out of context - you need to know what's been happening on the left. Anyone with concerns on issues of cultural relativism or gender have been pushed out or silenced.

Moz clearly had fears about religious homophobia first - then heard the stuff about women's rights & animal welfare.

He's turned to Bernie Sanders in the States & Anne Marie Waters in the UK because they seemed to care.

Most progressives were in a kind of denial but since Labour's catastrophic defeat in the 2019 General election & the greater awareness about cancel culture - there's a lot more space on the left to talk these things through.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom