cool TBWTTIHS cover

Cursed autotune. It takes good voices and makes them so tacky.

EDIT: Very good cover, skillfully played, but I didn't understand the need when his pure voice was so nice to begin with.

That Fun People cover of Reel is beautiful. My god Morrissey could write a song!! What happened?? I promise no one in the next 2 million years will in the next cover “in your lap” or “the girl from wherever who wouldn’t zzzz”

That Fun People cover of Reel is beautiful. My god Morrissey could write a song!! What happened?? I promise no one in the next 2 million years will in the next cover “in your lap” or “the girl from wherever who wouldn’t zzzz”
Yes, love this. This was always one of my favourite Smiths songs, not just melodically and lyrically, but harmonically too - something incredibly moving about it. Hearing it like this makes you realise what a blinding song it is. I would love to hear him play it again, but not with the current band. I think someone current should cover it - about time it got an airing.

it's great at the '15 minutes with you..' part where the singer really belts it out, emotional.

They were a local hardcore band that got very popular in the mid 90's... and they were constantly making explicit and implicit references to Morrissey and The Smiths. Quite often playing with "Meat is Murder" T-shirts, naming some albums after a line picked from a Smiths' song or sometimes subtle references like making a video that featured someone reading "The little prince"... and sometimes plagiarizing attitudes of Morrissey (i.e, forcing the venues to avoid selling any animal products if they wanted them to play there, but also making sure that such thing was known to everyone).
The Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread could be filled with all their constant references to Morrissey.
Other than that, the singer was constantly compared to the early Morrissey by the press... because they have indeed a very similar singing style (which I do not know how to describe, but the best I can do is saying that they both sounded like a yodel singer who got trapped into a rock band, but there is always a tone that sounds as if a yodel song was about to begin).
Their cover of TRASH actually sounds more like a cover of Morrissey covering "Trash" than as a cover of the NYD.

I like it too. Reel... is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting it.

I like his unusual voice and I like the fact that they didn't decide to make a hardcore cover and make the song sound like some sort of awkward punk anthem (as it happened in that album "The world still won't listen"... there isn't a single cover I can enjoy there).

Back
Top Bottom