Cornelius Carr writes about his experience filming the "Boxers" video

In addition I later found out that I was the face of a 20 foot stage backdrop during their entire album tour! I honestly had no idea about this momentous fact until a friend of mine went to a Smith’s gig and was greeted by the wonderful sight of my face staring down at him from the main stage!

Lucky friend of his--seeing the Smiths in 1995...

It isn't a very in-depth recollection of the video shoot, but it's interesting nonetheless.

In-Between Title Fights – Starring in Morrissey’s ‘Boxers’ music video - Sneak Punch / Cornelius Carr experience

Excerpt:

So – getting back to my small screen debut – as I’m sure you know, it’s not unusual for celebrities to attend boxing matches. Unbeknown to me, in the crowd that night was the singer Morrissey. After the fight one of his team approached me on Morrissey’s behalf, asking for a photo of the two of us. I was a bit surprised to be honest – thinking to myself ‘Morrissey – really – from the band The Smiths’. We were introduced and ended up chatting for a while about boxing, during which he actually asked me if I would be interested in making an appearance in a music video for his upcoming single which was aptly named ‘Boxers’. See – I told you that York Hall was a good place for me!

Morrissey came to see me again at Battersea running track during one of my training sessions, and we talked through his ideas for the video. The actual video shoot took just one day on location at – yes you’ve guessed it – the York Hall in London! The other fighter who took a ‘pretend’ battering from me – was a good spirited actor. Although Morrissey doesn’t appear in the video actually singing, if you watch carefully he does make a brief appearance shaking the other boxer’s hand (at 3m 30s into the video to be precise!).

The single ‘Boxers’ reached number 23 in the UK charts in January 1995. It had been a great experience for me and did help to boost my publicity at this stage of my career. In addition I later found out that I was the face of a 20 foot stage backdrop during their entire album tour! I honestly had no idea about this momentous fact until a friend of mine went to a Smith’s gig and was greeted by the wonderful sight of my face staring down at him from the main stage!

After that it was quite surreal when fans of The Smith’s regularly stopped me in the street to ask for autographs – and not because I had won the British Middleweight title, but because I’d appeared in Morrissey’s ‘Boxers’ video! As the saying goes – any publicity and all that….

boxers-morrissey-covers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a vision. A film about Moz, set 10 years from now. Ian McShane (from Deadwood) as Moz. Sean Bean as Cornelius Carr. Cillian Murphy as Marr. Lawnmower 1 and 2 as the other two. Nicole Kidman as Moz's mum. Danny Trejo as Tobias. Burt Reynolds as Boz. At the end Moz realises he is in fact Batman and this explains his anger issues.
Heath Ledger as Batmoz's nemesis Johnny Rogan (sunglasses could hide the empty sockets).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom