Coronation Street set to be demolished

I am a Ghost

Coronation Street likely to be moved from central Manchester to Salford as ITV negotiates office shift

Britain's most famous street is set to be demolished. Coronation Street's iconic outdoor set, including the Rovers Return pub, could be shut down and be rebuilt just a stone's throw from Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium after ITV reopened talks to relocate its Manchester offices – also home to the set of its flagship show.

Following the appointment of Archie Norman as ITV chairman, negotiations have begun again to relocate the soap's famous pub and cobbled streets to the £600m Media City UK development in Salford Quays.

Plans are being discussed to move the Coronation Street set and ITV's base in Manchester city centre to a disused dock site, across the water from the BBC's new northern base.

The existing set has been Britain's most familiar street for nearly 50 years and the setting for some of the most memorable scenes in television history, including numerous arguments between the memorable battleaxe Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner.

Tracey Barlow, the fictional daughter of the soap's most enduring resident Ken Barlow, murdered her boyfriend Charlie Stubbs on the street. It was also the location for numerous cat-fights, many of them involving Bet Lynch, the former landlady at the Rover and the street's most famous pint-puller.

The area that has been "pre-allocated" to ITV, according to MediaCityUK developers Peel Media, is next to the Imperial War Museum North.

The soap's legendary old battleaxe, Hilda Ogden, who took parts in many skirmishes on the old set before leaving the show in 1987, would presumably have approved of the new location.

ITV's veteran soap celebrates its 50th anniversary next year. Its existing set was built in Quay Street in the centre of Manchester in the early 1980s.

With the advent of high-definition television, producers are keen to update the exterior lot as the new technology makes it easier to spot tired sets.

Peel Media chairman Bryan Gray told Mediaguardian.co.uk: "We've offered space to ITV. ITV have a particular requirement – ie, Coronation Street. We've offered them a package.

"We had some quite detailed discussions but they came to a halt with the management of ITV changing. Since the appointment of Archie Norman as chairman and John Cresswell as acting chief executive we've started discussions with ITV again."

An ITV spokesman said: "The Peel Group has been in contact with ITV and discussions have taken place."

:eek: I'm shocked! just move it.

I've always wondered want happen to hilda's mural.
They should open up the Granada Tours again. they would have more flexible hours now as you don't have to avoid filming.

It's a shame the programme can't be demolished.
I only watch it when at my mums and she has it on and spend 25 minutes cringing.

Jukebox Jury

It's a shame the programme can't be demolished.
I only watch it when at my mums and she has it on and spend 25 minutes cringing.

Jukebox Jury

:eek: call yourself a manc!......wait a minute, you don't.
hold on.....call yourself a city fan!

As long as they relocate Dev's shop. What a man. Really hope he gets back with Sunita, he's not been the same man since Tara dumped him. Put a bit of weight on as well. Easily the best actor on TV at present.

Also wish they would bring back his uncle Umet.

458901.jpg

Back
Top Bottom