Could Morrissey actually drive when he wrote I'm Driving Your Girlfriend Home?

According to Mozipedia, he failed his driving test when he was 18 (the Highway Code bit apparently), but during The Smiths sometimes drove without a license. Apparently he only actually passed his test in around 1995. So to answer your question- no, he couldn't legally drive when he wrote IDYGH, but he probably did on occasion anyway. :p

This from a friend...

"In 1989 I saw Morrissey driving a white VW Golf convertible, with roof top open, through Hale, Altincham - with two attractive women with him. There were no 'L' plates on the car so I assume he had passed his test by then."

P.

Interesting Uncleskinny. I might have gone week at the knees if I'd have seen that on my morning walk.

"In 1989 I saw Morrissey driving a white VW Golf convertible, with roof top open, through Hale, Altincham - with two attractive women with him.

They see him rollin', they hatin'....

This from a friend...

"In 1989 I saw Morrissey driving a white VW Golf convertible, with roof top open, through Hale, Altincham - with two attractive women with him. There were no 'L' plates on the car so I assume he had passed his test by then."

P.

One of them was probably Pete Burns.

Do you think the guy who actually saw Morrissey driving Golf was unable to distinguish Pete Burns and two attractive women?

Well, the sighting took place in England, did it not?

:lbf:

I KID! I KID!

He was driving in the My Love Life video too, in 1991.

I think in that video the car was on a flatbed truck.

And didn't Morrissey do an interview in the late 80s/early 90s in which to the question "What would significantly improve you life at the moment" the response was "A driving licence".

I think this interview was in the NME and was later printed on a t-shirt.

Back
Top Bottom