Countdown to the new album - first indication of commercial/critical success

Maurice E Maher

Well, we've had a few Morrissey albums in the internet era now, so have a good idea of the sequence of events. The next stage is surely the release of the track listing, and an indication of the first single. It would be a huge mistake not to have a clear first single (whatever format it's released on). This mistake was made on the last album when four songs were released in quick succession, and it wasn't obvious which one radio should play. It was the first Morrissey album since the 90s to not have a single A-listed on Radio 2 (Britain's most popular station), and went on to be the poorest seller, despite having the best UK reviews since Vauxhall.

After this is the response of radio stations to the single which will largely determine the initial album sales. There are four major stations in the UK that would potentially play a decent Morrissey single - Radio 2, 6 Music, XfM and Absolute. Radio 2 is the big one followed by Absolute. Not since First of the Gang have all four of them A-listed a Morrissey single. If Radio 2 A-list it, the album is pretty much guaranteed good first week sales (40,000+) regardless of its quality. If they don't, it will struggle.

Then the reviews will start to trickle in. The main music mags will probably add a point or two to their reviews to boost their chances of an interview (Morrissey is one of only 4 or 5 people in the music world who will ensure excellent sales if a front cover interview is secured) so you can't completely trust them. If they give it 8/10, they probably mean 6 or 7. Then on the Friday before the album's release (currently set to be the 10th Nov), the national papers will give their reviews. The papers don't need to worry about keeping Morrissey happy (as an interview won’t make much difference to sales) and can therefore afford to be honest. That's the day when we'll know for certain whether we have a good album on our hands although it may well have been leaked by then.

Finally, it's worth reflecting on how lucky we are just to have a new Morrissey album at this stage of the game with all the record deal (and other) hassles he tends to attract, and of course the fact that an increasing number of icons from his era are either no longer alive (G Michael, Prince) or rarely release music anymore (M Stipe/R Smith). Enjoy the anticipation!

Have you seen the top 50 , if thats how we gauge success, he's got no chance.

Well, we've had a few Morrissey albums in the internet era now, so have a good idea of the sequence of events. The next stage is surely the release of the track listing, and an indication of the first single. It would be a huge mistake not to have a clear first single (whatever format it's released on). This mistake was made on the last album when four songs were released in quick succession, and it wasn't obvious which one radio should play. It was the first Morrissey album since the 90s to not have a single A-listed on Radio 2 (Britain's most popular station), and went on to be the poorest seller, despite having the best UK reviews since Vauxhall.

After this is the response of radio stations to the single which will largely determine the initial album sales. There are four major stations in the UK that would potentially play a decent Morrissey single - Radio 2, 6 Music, XfM and Absolute. Radio 2 is the big one followed by Absolute. Not since First of the Gang have all four of them A-listed a Morrissey single. If Radio 2 A-list it, the album is pretty much guaranteed good first week sales (40,000+) regardless of its quality. If they don't, it will struggle.

Then the reviews will start to trickle in. The main music mags will probably add a point or two to their reviews to boost their chances of an interview (Morrissey is one of only 4 or 5 people in the music world who will ensure excellent sales if a front cover interview is secured) so you can't completely trust them. If they give it 8/10, they probably mean 6 or 7. Then on the Friday before the album's release (currently set to be the 10th Nov), the national papers will give their reviews. The papers don't need to worry about keeping Morrissey happy (as an interview won’t make much difference to sales) and can therefore afford to be honest. That's the day when we'll know for certain whether we have a good album on our hands although it may well have been leaked by then.

Finally, it's worth reflecting on how lucky we are just to have a new Morrissey album at this stage of the game with all the record deal (and other) hassles he tends to attract, and of course the fact that an increasing number of icons from his era are either no longer alive (G Michael, Prince) or rarely release music anymore (M Stipe/R Smith). Enjoy the anticipation!

Why are you obsessed with whether Morrissey can get airplay on Radio 2? You've been banging on about the same old shite for years.

He's almost 60 and he hasn't made a decent record in over twenty years. He has no media profile beyond the Internet and he has no chance of being in the Top 10 in 2017.

Just give it up, for f***'s sake.

The 5 leaked songs are so MEH

Where does one go about finding these leaked tracks?

Also, placing in the top 10 in the charts isn't as difficult as it used to be and I am sure Morrissey will make the top 10 as even his weakest records briefly do. In terms of sustainability and critical reception that is completely up in the air at the moment.

Anyone want to guess a chart position. Despite what was said above world peace did chart at number two in the U.K. and fourteen in the us. The last theee have all been in the top three with refusal being three and eleven in the us and ringleader at number one and twenty seven in the us. Hard to say with no advanced info or anything but I think there are still plenty of people ready to buy it regardless. I'd say release a song digitally and in vinyl on the day of sale with a baize or two if they're there to generate hype and attention

Anyone want to guess a chart position. Despite what was said above world peace did chart at number two in the U.K. and fourteen in the us. The last theee have all been in the top three with refusal being three and eleven in the us and ringleader at number one and twenty seven in the us. Hard to say with no advanced info or anything but I think there are still plenty of people ready to buy it regardless. I'd say release a song digitally and in vinyl on the day of sale with a baize or two if they're there to generate hype and attention

Yeah, that's right. He's a veritable household name :handok:

Where does one go about finding these leaked tracks?

Also, placing in the top 10 in the charts isn't as difficult as it used to be and I am sure Morrissey will make the top 10 as even his weakest records briefly do. In terms of sustainability and critical reception that is completely up in the air at the moment.

Darknet, I get all my shit from there.

It would have been number 1 if it had been released last week as the top selling album sold less than 20,000. But it's coming out a week after the new Taylor Swift album which will still be selling over 100,000 so no chance of getting close to that. Depending on what else is out, it'll probably be between 2 and 4 in the UK.

Last edited:
It would have been number 1 if it had been released last week as the top selling album sold less than 20,000. But it's coming out a week after the new Taylor Swift album which will still be selling over 100,000 so no chance of getting close to that. Depending on what else is out, it'll probably be between 2 and 4 in the UK.

Yeah it's gonna be hard to beat swift but I don't know what else is gonna be released at the time other than a billy ray Cyrus album. I'm curious to see what he places in the u.s as well as the U.K. World peace charted fairly well in a lot of places and I'm hoping to see it repeated. It's all gonna depend on the actual album though

The days of Morrissey having a major impact on charts, radio play, and sales figures are long gone. He's better off embracing the outsider position, making some decent music, pulling off a yearly tour without it ending in a chaotic meltdown, and not making an ass out of himself on a regular basis.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

But yes, a track listing and a solid lead single would be nice.

And for the record, the WPINOYB song that was pushed and digitally distributed to radio stations for play was "Istanbul". There was an official Harvest-produced radio edit version, shortened by approximately 45 seconds.

Last edited:
The days of Morrissey having a major impact on charts, radio play, and sales figures are long gone. He's better off embracing the outsider position, making some decent music, pulling off a yearly tour without it ending in a chaotic meltdown, and not making an ass out of himself on a regular basis.

And for the record, the WPINOYB song that was pushed and digitally distributed to radio stations for play was "Istanbul". There was an official Harvest-produced radio edit version, shortened by approximately 45 seconds.

Morrissey's impact on the charts and radio has bounced around all over the place since his post Smiths output. There's been no linear decline. Viva Hate did very well, Vauxhall did pretty well and Quarry did brilliantly outselling all his other albums. His singles have never had a major impact on airplay. The Viva Hate ones still get played quite a bit as does Ignore Me and First of the Gang/Irish Blood but very little else got an airing much beyond its release.
James (an act from the same era) had one of their highest album chart positions to date last year (#2 I think) simply because Radio 2 A-listed their lead single for the first time in years. Radio 2 remains Morrissey-friendly and will A-list the new single if it's good enough.
Yes, Istanbul was kind of the lead single but it was a muddled release with three other songs brought out around the same time (World Peace, Earth, and one other, possibly Bullfighter) which massively reduced the impact of The Big New Morrissey Single. His album is bound to sell at least 20,000 in the first week which would have got him to #1 either of the last two weeks, but there is no chance a week after a new T Swift album. Anyway let's hope for a cracking single, and a warm reception from the four Morrissey/Smiths-friendly radio stations.

Charts... what a meaningless concept in the post-internet era...

The singles chart has become pretty meaningless since streaming was included (people inevitably watch stuff before they know whether it's any good) but the album chart is still a fair indicator. Sales remain very meaningful though, unfortunately. If the new album only sells 30,000 in total (UK), it could be 5 years before any follow up. If it sells well (100,000+) a follow up could come as soon as the songs are ready as happened with Ringleader. If you self-release albums on the internet, sales don't matter much but Morrissey won't do that.

Last edited:

He still seems to chart well first week if his last albums are any indication. For a man almost sixty, who been declared over many times now, that's a pretty nice feat I don't see repeated all over the place. He's avoided becoming a fringe and also avoided becoming a nostalgia act. It might not mean a whole lot charting well means a bit of free promotion as you'll be written about and talked about somewhat and maybe stocked in places others who don't chart might not be especially as record stores get leaner and leaner in there inventory. There are a bunch of bands I love that wouldn't be upset to learn they came in at number two as it can help give you some relative leeway for future deals and performing fees for the artist and band etc. As for what he's better off doing I don't think he cares all that much. He's just gonna make music and be himself it seems. I mean after all this time we must have realized that by now

Morrissey's impact on the charts and radio has bounced around all over the place since his post Smiths output. There's been no linear decline. Viva Hate did very well, Vauxhall did pretty well and Quarry did brilliantly outselling all his other albums. His singles have never had a major impact on airplay. The Viva Hate ones still get played quite a bit as does Ignore Me and First of the Gang/Irish Blood but very little else got an airing much beyond its release.
James (an act from the same era) had one of their highest album chart positions to date last year (#2 I think) simply because Radio 2 A-listed their lead single for the first time in years. Radio 2 remains Morrissey-friendly and will A-list the new single if it's good enough.
Yes, Istanbul was kind of the lead single but it was a muddled release with three other songs brought out around the same time (World Peace, Earth, and one other, possibly Bullfighter) which massively reduced the impact of The Big New Morrissey Single. His album is bound to sell at least 20,000 in the first week which would have got him to #1 either of the last two weeks, but there is no chance a week after a new T Swift album. Anyway let's hope for a cracking single, and a warm reception from the four Morrissey/Smiths-friendly radio stations.

Nobody over the age of 25 with any self-respect (or the respect of other people) gives a toss about any of this trivial crap.

Back
Top Bottom