Cover versions of Moz/Smiths songs that better the original

lutewhine

For me, Dream Academy's instrumental version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. Genuinely makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zimit2im9bn

And not just because of the scene in Ferris Bueller.

Have to say as well that Divine Comedy's cover of There Is A Light - while not up there with the original - is a phenomenal version.

For me, Dream Academy's instrumental version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want. Genuinely makes hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Have to say as well that Divine Comedy's cover of There Is A Light - while not up there with the original - is a phenomenal version.

Really like the Cinerama version of London, possibly more than the original. Seems more ... musical.

Also, who covered Cemetery Gates on The Smiths is Dead? That was a nice take. Wasn't so keen on Divine Comedy's version of TIAL despite liking a lot of their stuff.

Recently, really loved Katie Tunstall's version of 'Everyday'. She's a hugely under-rated singer and brings a lovely warmth to the song.

I like Marianne Faithfull's Dear God, Please Help Me.

Her unique vocal style emphasizes more dramatic tone.

Kirsty Maccoll's 'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby' and Nancy's 'Let Me Kiss You'.
That along with the Sandie Shaw stuff.... maybe women record the best cover versions:rock:

Do you know, i've seen Ferris Bueller a dozen times and listened to The Smiths for several years now and only recently discovered that the tune in the gallery scene in Ferris was the same bloody song!...

Ive always liked the piece in the film and often wondered what it was - i just always took it for part of the film score...

Yes, I am blind...

Kirsty Maccoll's 'You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby' and Nancy's 'Let Me Kiss You'.
That along with the Sandie Shaw stuff.... maybe women record the best cover versions:rock:
agreed.
i must say i like when women do smiths/morrissey covers...prefer it to the men who has been covered smiths/morrissey song (and has been in the majority concernign covers)..
.these lyrics sung from a female voice...:)

no matter if they re a signed artist or just doing it for fun like franissey and that girl http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=91056

instead of some crappy band destroying the song..like this one band totally destroying jack the ripper.dont remember the name theyre kind of goth and emo-ish
concerning sandie:
I must dsay i like jeane and I dont owe you anything much more than her hand in glove version..the jeane and IDOYA just fits her voice a zillion time better

Last edited:
agree. but i must dsay i like jeane and I dont owe you anythign much more than her hand in glove version..the jeane and IDOYA just fits her voice a million time better
i must say i like when women do smiths/morrissey covers...prefer it to the men who has been covered smiths/morrissey song...these lyrics sung from a female voice

no matter if they re a signed artist or just doing it for fun like franissey and that girl http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=91056
.its nice to hear instead of some crappy band destroying the song..like this one band totally destroying jack the ripper.dont remember the name theyre kind of goth and emo-ish

My Chemical Romance :rolleyes:

although I don't mind AFI's version :o

I don't think there are any. Mind you, Jeff Buckley's rendering of The boy with a thorn in his side comes close. As much as I loathe the moaner or at least his destructive impact on rock generally.

cheers

Exactly what Mrs Skinny says - ladies' cover versions are always terrific. I think Eddie Reader's Last Night I Dreamt...is spectacular.

Peter

there is this ukranian band that does some smiths songs in their language
i think they sound awesome
no, i cannot remember their name and i am not at home which would make it easy to look up :o

I'm not a big fan of cover songs in general, but that's especially true when it comes to covers of Moz's songs. Indeed, I recall one instance where found myself gnashing my teeth upon hearing the 10,000 Maniacs's cover of "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Mind you, I love Natalie Merchant and all, but it just seemed so...sacrilegious. Or something.

there is this ukranian band that does some smiths songs in their language
i think they sound awesome
no, i cannot remember their name and i am not at home which would make it easy to look up

That's The Ukrainians, who are in point of fact The Wedding Present. Ukrainian bass player, but otherwise as english as marmite.

cheers

At glastonbury (95 i think) i saw Jeff Buckley perform I know its over with everything but the girl and i have to say it was the best version i have ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom