Culture in England, December 2018 - Morrissey Central (28th December)

Mozz in da buzz...

49117481_10157143846823982_6335069189572657152_n.jpg
If you believe that to be true, you really would believe anything.

Yes, that would seem logical. It's a complex topic, though. There are those who say that traditionally, hunting was not about population control but actually a form of conservation: a way of depleting the numbers of foxes by just enough so that that the fox and the farmer could co-exist; and that the hunters in these rural areas have a huge respect for the fox (in Leicestershire, for example, it's the county's emblem). These days, farmers are routinely shooting, snaring and gassing foxes yet we don't see big protests about that. But the hunters are a visible target; there's a spectacle, with their bright red coats and their galloping horses and their pack of hounds, and it's largely (but not exclusively) a pursuit of the upper/upper-middle classes. This makes me suspect that a big part of the noise made about foxhunting is more about class than animal welfare.
This is a thoughtful, interesting, knowledgeable and insightful post. I think it is both a class issue and also about animal welfare.

This is a thoughtful, interesting, knowledgeable and insightful post. I think it is both a class issue and also about animal welfare.
Thanks, Anon. Yes, you are probably right: it's the combination of those two things which make it such an emotive issue.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom