Cure interview in Irish Times mentions Moz

Right side of history ???
Not sure what the journalist meant. Unless he meant that Moz's various comments about terrorism and racism haven't helped and will paint Moz as a crankfraud, at least in the eyes of the media.

But as Brett Anderson sings on his magnificent new song 'The Invisibles':

The world waits for you when
And the dawn breaks for you when
And the media will watch
And she will change her mind

Right side of history ???
Yeah you see, there's right and wrong sides to history. Cruelty and lack of empathy rarely lands a person on the right side of things.
It happens to most old farts. They see the city they grew up in change and they no longer recognize it, so they panic and try to assign blame for the "why."
Why? Time marches on. Places change, and when people let "the good old days" dictate their attitude, they appear foolish or worse.

The city I grew up in is virtually unrecognizable. I don't like parts of it, but it's mainly because I don't like the visuals of the modern architecture.
I have nothing to say about the people who live there, where they come from, or the fact that there are many more shades of skin color than there were 30 years ago.
Being an angry belligerent political bore about a place you haven't lived in for half your life just makes you look like a fool. If you want to change it, move back home and get involved. But then... Taxes. And the man is a penny pincher, and increasingly, the Donald Trump of aging artists. Some are strangely loyal to the point of madness, others wish him dead. He's a divider where formerly he was a uniter.

Robert Smith is a great example of a popular career musician who knows when to shut up, and when to let a statement slip, and when he does, there's no sensationalism or attention whoring. Shock value is overrated. Hell, shock is dead.The child who eats worms on the playground only hears what he wants to, not the children laughing at him as he does it.

right side of hallucinatory snowflake history.
what other type of nonsense does he have to say?:sleeping:

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.

The Cure have been totally irrelevant for at least 25 years now. They thrive on nostalgia, only playing greatest hits-shows.
And Robert Smith has never had an opinion on anything I know of, never mind a controversial one.

Oh to see a Morrissey greatest hits-show!!

Lol, that has to be some of the stupidest shit I have ever heard? Irrelevant? Far better live performers who actually show up for one thing. Both artists have released mediocre albums at best for the last decade. I don’t mind a “greatest hits” type show as you put it because The Cure has such a strong back catalogue and they often play for 3+ hours as opposed to Morrissey’s 80 minutes. 80,000 people sold out in Hyde Park this weekend is hardly “irrelevant.”

That's funny, because any time I've seen them, they play a decent selection of hits, but then they just get weird with it and play deeper cuts for at least 50% of the set. Morrissey should take a page from their book regarding splitting the difference between playing deep cuts and crowd favorites.

When I've seen them in recent years 95 per cent of what they played was from 1992 and before. But yes, in their case a very wise decision!
They was fab then, though.

The Cure has been irrelevant for MANY YEARS.:rolleyes:
At least Drama J has his:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: under control with hair glue, but the Cure dude
has GODZILLA HAIR>poor wretch.:censored:

But why do artists always need to have earth-shattering opinions on everything? Robert Smith still makes good music, and his epic 3-4 hour concerts are a lesson to a lot of bands, Moz included.
'Bloodflowers' is only 18 years old! And '4.13 Dream' is only 10 years old! Ok they're not a patch on classics like Disintegration, but I can't blame Robert Smith for taking a break. As he said himself recently, he stopped releasing albums because he had nothing left to say, but now thinks the time could be right to get back in the studio. So I don't think they thrive on nostalgia at all. They just don't tour much but when they do they make sure they play songs the audience wants to hear. It's not for Robert Smith's personal vanity. Robert is commited to making sure people at his gigs feel like they got value for money and leave the venue happy. Morrissey is more interested in making himself feel happy, thus the setlists that are not always crowd-pleasers.

But why do artists always need to have earth-shattering opinions on everything? Robert Smith still makes good music, and his epic 3-4 hour concerts are a lesson to a lot of bands, Moz included.
'Bloodflowers' is only 18 years old! And '4.13 Dream' is only 10 years old! Ok they're not a patch on classics like Disintegration, but I can't blame Robert Smith for taking a break. As he said himself recently, he stopped releasing albums because he had nothing left to say, but now thinks the time could be right to get back in the studio. So I don't think they thrive on nostalgia at all. They just don't tour much but when they do they make sure they play songs the audience wants to hear. It's not for Robert Smith's personal vanity. Robert is commited to making sure people at his gigs feel like they got value for money and leave the venue happy. Morrissey is more interested in making himself feel happy, thus the setlists that are not always crowd-pleasers.
I get the feeling that the big difference between Smith and Morrissey, is that Smith himself, is happy, and plays because he still enjoys it and knows that others do as well. Morrissey plays with all the enthusiasm of a stubborn child being forced to take a spoonful of cod liver oil and many nights it shows. He's the only non-punk/industrial musician I can think of that conveys visual contempt throughout the majority of his sets.

Haha exactly the opposite! Moz thrives on stage, playing exactly what he wants much to the chagrin of (some of) the audience. Cure play only what the audience want to hear thus admitting that their last couple of albums are indeed pretty dire.
That they play in front of 80,000 people is hardly a sign of them
being relevant but more of them still craving the cash, like The Rolling Stones and other mega-bands.
Nothing wrong with that ofcourse!

imagine wakening up next to Robert smith in the morning,f*** me it would be like Halloween.i used to really like the cure in early days but that was a long time ago.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom