D/L 28 March 2000, Estadio Victor Jara, Santiago, Chile (soundboard)

spazrock

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XEIJ6ZAC

224 kbps

28 March 2000
Estadio Victor Jara, Santiago, Chile

Hairdresser On Fire
Alma Matters
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Now My Heart Is Full
The Boy Racer
Is It Really So Strange?
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
I Am Hated For Loving
Speedway
Meat Is Murder
November Spawned A Monster
The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils
Billy Budd
Half A Person
Break Up The Family
Tomorrow
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
/Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

This concert is the best souvenir of the Latin American leg of the Oye Esteban tour, perhaps of the whole tour. Morrissey was as much or even more playful than he had been elsewhere, the crowd was the most ecstatic and the sound quality makes it all feel like the listener is there among grateful fans who probably never dared hope to see Morrissey perform in their country.

This was a fantastic concert. The crowd was ecstatic, fans kept cheering their hero and singing along to the words. The only downside was the bad sound during certain songs. No one made it on stage because of high security. As on the previous date in Mexico, Morrissey must have felt really welcome. He was still very talkative, often thanking his fans in Spanish. Coming on stage at the end of the James Bond theme, Morrissey greeted them "All my Chilean children!". After the first song he added "Welcome to Santiago's biggest toilet... drinking and smoking tonight are essential...". The latter negative comment must have been about the rundown condition of the venue, but probably sensing that he might have been misinterpreted, he continued "... no jokes... no more jokes for me...".
Before "Ouija Board, Ouija Board", Morrissey said "I would like to say another hello to you after all these years... and I would like to say hello to Julia, after all these days... Julia's here, I'm here, you're here, we're all here... so... Boz... Boz is here". After the song, the loud "Morrissey! Morrissey!" chant started by the fans was echoed by Morrissey with his own "Chile! Chile!". He then enquired "I don't smoke, but does anybody have a cigarette? Oh? ... good because I don't smoke...". In "Now My Heart Is Full" he changed lines to "... just some rain coated lover's hermanos" and "...every Santiago poet".

After "The Boy Racer", he said "I'm glad you know these songs because I thought some of you might think it's Simply Red... it's not Simply Red... you don't like Simply Red...". Strangely, after "Is It Really So Strange?", he said "No Mexico? No!...". The performance of "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" was even stranger. Morrissey strained his voice more and more as the song went on, perhaps because of sound difficulties, or perhaps out of frustration, considering the lyrical changes like "I bear more grudges than stupid british judges" or "I will creep into your bed like a sick song that you can't stand, take the easy way and give in to me".

Before "I Am Hated For Loving", he asked "Yes? What do you need to say? Speak to me please!". The performance of "Speeway" was also very unusual. Before the song, after saying "you need some water", Morrissey imitated his fans in a high-pitched voice, screaming "Oh my god! Oh my god!". Then he counted the intro to the song in a manner resembling someone having an orgasm! At one point into the song he laughed (in a forced 'I mean it!' way) instead of singing some words.

"This song is about blood culture, blood culture, the culture of blood, flesh, flesh, flesh, blood culture, oooh!" was the intro to "Meat Is Murder". The song was finished with a single drum pounding like a dying hearbeat and wasn't followed by a moral. "November Spawned A Monster" which came next suffered from significant sound problems. During its performance Morrissey looked at both Boz and Alain trying to figure out the problem, then apologized to the fans.

In "Billy Budd" Morrissey had difficulties singing the first lines. The crowd might have been too hectic, although further in the song he changed a line to "I took my job application into town, do you want to go home to bed?" hinting that the fans looked bored. But it wasn't the case, the song was rapturously received like all the others. After it Morrissey said something undecipherable then "What does that mean, I don't know...". He returned to the subject after "Half A Person": "Do you want to go home? (crowd: "NO!") Well you might have to... ("NO!") YES! ("NO!") SI!".

In "Break Up The Family", Morrissey was becoming more and more playful, taking liberties with some words and their intonations (echoing "friends, friends..."), changing lines like "I want to sleep with my friends tonight!", all this on top of all the other usual changes. After the song he joined his fans into the "Morrissey!" chant, all the way into the first bars of "Tomorrow" which set the rhythm of the chant. The latter song was retitled "Mañana" in Chile as it had been in Mexico and Southern California before.

Before "Shoplifters Of The World Unite", he asked "Do you know how much this costs? very expensive!". Morrissey came back for the encore dressed in his sailor suit. At the end of that final song, he greeted his fans, singing over and over, "I love you... God bless you!... I love you!... God bless you!".

This concert was recorded and broadcast on Chilean radio. There was no opening band.

Spazrock - this is probably one of the best Moz bootlegs ever. What a great atmosphere! Cheers :D

:D Thanks for posting this show Spazrock.....sounds great...

Thanks a lot for sharing this :)

What a set list. I wish I’d seen him live during this time.

Last edited:
Many thanks a great gig

Really how can I put all this on a CD it wont find RAR files :(

Its ok I used the RAR file added them to windows media and did it from there took me ages but hey its def worth it for this Meat Is Murder has got to be one of the best songs on this concert

This is actually the radio broadcast, which doesn't include November Spawned a Monster. It's not the soundboard.

But nevertheless, thanks for the upload!

WOW this is amazing!!!! THANK YOU!
Gosh I would LOVE the video of this! oh my we need more video.
i want to get one of those hd recorders that goes right onto the hard-drive and just follow mozzer like julia style and then come back between tours and fill up youtube and megaupload and sendfile and the whole lot of em with mozzer vids.

but in the meantime - this is wonderful!!!
YES! dancing will be happening in my bedroom tonight - full fledged and for sure!

Now Jelly Bean Turf:p .

Thank you much.

Back
Top Bottom