Dallas, TX - Majestic Theater (May 22, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Speedway / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Hand In Glove / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Yes, I Am Blind / Meat Is Murder / The National Front Disco // Asleep / First Of The Gang To Die

set list provided by Abrahán.

• Review: Morrissey at Majestic Theatre by Preston Jones - DFW.com. Link posted by CrystalGeezer.
  • Glad to be unhappy: Morrissey celebrates his birthday with majestic show at Majestic by Robert Wilonsky, photos by Jason Janik (8 total) - Dallas Morning News. Link posted by an anonymous person.

dallas.jpg

Last edited:
Anonymous, I am in full agreement that people need to find wisdom/come to veg*anism on their own terms. Of course. Facts lead to knowledge, and one must have knowledge to find wisdom. And a Morrissey show seems like a great place to lay facts out on the table (in the lobby and on the screen), while also witnessing an astonishingly honest performance of the man's beliefs. Yes, the song is didactic, but hardly weak; I've known many people whose lives were permanently changed- and are continually affirmed- by the strength of that one song- myself included. Its explicit statement lends it the gravity the issue deserves.

I trust Morrissey when he speaks or sings about animal rights. And I respect him for continuing to do so publicly after 30 years. I think it's important for everyone, young and old, to see a grown man we all respect get naked like that, for belief in something outside the desires of one's own self is not particularly well-represented or taught in the culture at large.

In Lincoln, during the massive outro, he turned around and watched the horror on the screen instead of writhing on the floor. This brought our attention directly to the images, forcing us to watch while the music roiled in its tumult. Now I've seen these and other godawful farming images all my life, and often I look away because I can't bear to see them again. But focusing in on them again, in the center of this aural storm, felt like a renewal of my belief in my core values. Much more powerfully so than a night in the kitchen, or a pair of canvas shoes. I spoke to many people at 4 shows that have had similar experiences- and I'm sure at every show someone has a light go on in their minds as a result of his performance.

And yes, veg to veg, you can't force someone to do something by preaching at them, but you can provide them with an honest starting point for their own process. It's worth something, right? 5 minutes of a Morrissey show?

For what it's worth, I think littlelamb is dead on. I myself went vegetarian after forcing myself to watch some of those factory farm videos, and after seeing Moz do MIM on this tour, background video and all, I have a renewed motivation to go full vegan -- and a friend who joined me at the show is now trying vegetarianism, too.

Of course it's not going to impact everyone the same way. And no one type of message is going to resonate with every fan. (I think even PETA recognizes this, and thus tries a little of everything, from extreme activism to t-shirts and stickers.) But if Morrissey's intention is to change some minds, and even to preach... I say carry on! It's clearly very important to him, and the approach works in changing at least some minds. I imagine most carnivores would never seek out one of those factory farm videos on their own, and even some of those who attend the Moz shows bury their heads in their smart phones or sneak out to the bathroom. But for those brave enough to watch it, be present, and actually examine and own up to their own choices... it seems it can make a difference. It's not pleasant to watch, and it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to challenge you. (Personally, I suspect it's a lack of that bravery and integrity that leads people to scurry away from that challenge, but I digress...)

For what it's worth, I think littlelamb is dead on. I myself went vegetarian after forcing myself to watch some of those factory farm videos, and after seeing Moz do MIM on this tour, background video and all, I have a renewed motivation to go full vegan -- and a friend who joined me at the show is now trying vegetarianism, too.

Of course it's not going to impact everyone the same way. And no one type of message is going to resonate with every fan. (I think even PETA recognizes this, and thus tries a little of everything, from extreme activism to t-shirts and stickers.) But if Morrissey's intention is to change some minds, and even to preach... I say carry on! It's clearly very important to him, and the approach works in changing at least some minds. I imagine most carnivores would never seek out one of those factory farm videos on their own, and even some of those who attend the Moz shows bury their heads in their smart phones or sneak out to the bathroom. But for those brave enough to watch it, be present, and actually examine and own up to their own choices... it seems it can make a difference. It's not pleasant to watch, and it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to challenge you. (Personally, I suspect it's a lack of that bravery and integrity that leads people to scurry away from that challenge, but I digress...)

This.

I'm just a vegetarian. I looked up and watched the part where the chickens are alive upside down on the hook and a conveyor runs their necks over a saw blade. I had nightmares for about three nights about it. Some people just can't watch the videos. It's not lack of bravery, it's just hyper empathy maybe? I dunno. That's where I think animation will help a lot.

I assume you don't wear or sit on leather then?

I assume you don't wear or sit on leather then?

I haven't bought anything leather in over a decade, but the whole pissing contest of who's the perfect vegan isn't helpful. It's just a sort of red herring to distract from real discourse on the issue. Surely if you looked closely enough at me, you'd find plenty of places where I fall short of the ideal. But just because no one can be flawless at it doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you can. I'm far from perfect, but I'd rather at least try to be part of the solution.

I think a better distinction is: when someone holds a mirror up to you (as during MIM), are you the type of person who's willing to take a hard look at yourself? Or do you look away and leave the room?

I haven't bought anything leather in over a decade, but the whole pissing contest of who's the perfect vegan isn't helpful. It's just a sort of red herring to distract from real discourse on the issue. Surely if you looked closely enough at me, you'd find plenty of places where I fall short of the ideal. But just because no one can be flawless at it doesn't mean it's not worth doing what you can. I'm far from perfect, but I'd rather at least try to be part of the solution.

I think a better distinction is: when someone holds a mirror up to you (as during MIM), are you the type of person who's willing to take a hard look at yourself? Or do you look away and leave the room?

I'm a vegan and I sit during MIM and don't watch it. I don't need a picture book, I get when something is horrific from the text alone. You know why I mean?

:clap:

Wasn't asking for perfection. Asking that of a human being is an exercise in futility. I just find most vegetarians are committed to a meat free diet but not a skin free wardrobe.

Why would I leave the room during meat is murder? I love that song. I don't need to see the video again and again in concert to know what factory farming is.

I think vegetarians seem to think they somehow achieve a saint like status once they choose not to eat meat. There are plenty of other places you can take a good hard look at yourself.

Last edited:
Once, when I was in junior college, a classmate, Stephanie Fuson Vitrano, accused me of wearing a leather watchstrap when it was actually plastic. She didn't like me saying that meat was murder. But the sad thing was that I didn't have a good comeback at the time because I really didn't know that it was plastic and not leather. I figured it out years later. LOL. These days, of course, I'm much more savvy about what is leather and what is faux, so nobody would get away with false accusations about what I'm wearing.

Or are you the type of person that does this (from Twitter tonight);

@ManVsParty: Sneaking a 1/4 lb of brisket into Austin Music Hall to be consumed while Morrissey plays Meat is Murder

Thanks, This Charming Ben. It's a great question in any context. I find myself averting my eyes as well at times, or closing them and just letting the text (h/t anonymous) wash over me. And there are so many mirrors around every corner of life's vexing labyrinth that perhaps we get tired of looking at our beastly mugs.

At each of the 4 shows I saw on this tour, I was surrounded by a chorus of jackasses saying things about cheeseburgers and bacon and steaks during MIM. That is active disrespect, and I'd like to think that those people are just so dense that they are incapable of grasping how deep their flippancy cuts many of the people in the audience. Because otherwise it feels emotionally violent, and intensely saddening.

And yes, we should all do what we can, and we'll never be perfect. Even meat-eaters can spend a bit of time researching the "more humane" farms in their area, and pay a bit more at the butcher counter to support them.

We live in gray areas, and can hopefully think in them as well.

Why would I leave the room during meat is murder? I love that song. I don't need to see the video again and again in concert to know what factory farming is.

I believe this tangent started from someone talking about how MIM is a good time to go get a drink, use the restroom, etc. You may not be one of those people, and that's fine.

I think vegetarians seem to think they somehow achieve a saint like status once they choose not to eat meat. There are plenty of other places you can take a good hard look at yourself.

No more saintly than choosing not to kill/eat/wear my neighbor or my coworker. "Not killing things that don't need to die" seems like it should be the humane and civil default disposition for any intelligent and sensitive person, and so I don't expect a special pat on the head for doing what I'm supposed to be doing. True, there are tons of ways for us to all improve ourselves and grow, but not many that result in saved lives (animal or otherwise). I would think that might make it a priority on the list of things we could be doing better.

Put another way, when I see someone throw trash on the ground, my reaction is not to feel saintly and smug in knowing that I myself don't litter. Instead, my reaction is to feel exasperation with the other person for not doing their part. The perceived attitude of vegetarians you expressed may be less about the sanctifying of vegetarianism and more about the demonizing of needless killing. So it's not "look how amazing I am for being a vegetarian." It's more "why on earth aren't you?" At least that's how I process it.

Excellent rebuttal. Veganism isn't just for the rich. It's for everyone to make a journey towards a #PlanetofPlants in whatever way their resources and currently understanding allow. If it's Meat Free Monday, it makes a difference, if it minimising cruelty in diet and lifestyle, it makes a difference. Absurd cult thining whereby only the rich can be 'true' vegans because poorer people cannot micro-check every medication capsule and wine for fish gelatin/finings is ridiculous. Such people make me want to eat raw animal meat: their faces.

Best
BB

Thanks, This Charming Ben. It's a great question in any context. I find myself averting my eyes as well at times, or closing them and just letting the text (h/t anonymous) wash over me. And there are so many mirrors around every corner of life's vexing labyrinth that perhaps we get tired of looking at our beastly mugs.

At each of the 4 shows I saw on this tour, I was surrounded by a chorus of jackasses saying things about cheeseburgers and bacon and steaks during MIM. That is active disrespect, and I'd like to think that those people are just so dense that they are incapable of grasping how deep their flippancy cuts many of the people in the audience. Because otherwise it feels emotionally violent, and intensely saddening.

And yes, we should all do what we can, and we'll never be perfect. Even meat-eaters can spend a bit of time researching the "more humane" farms in their area, and pay a bit more at the butcher counter to support them.

We live in gray areas, and can hopefully think in them as well.

The 'chorus of jackasses' are using a defence mechanism to avoid an emotional encounter with the images and the debate they propose. At some level they are disturbed or they wouldn't feel any need to seek refuge in 'humour'.

best
BB

I just can´t beleive the audience was so lame, no attitude at all, they were all in their mid 30s or 40s but come on! prove that you are alive, they were just chatting while Moz was playing, just tryin to take pictures or videos.

And no, there was no happy birthday song, just a few people yelling "Happy Birthday Moz!" but that's it.

I was also expecting a surprise in the setlist but never happened.

I just can´t beleive the audience was so lame, no attitude at all, they were all in their mid 30s or 40s but come on! prove that you are alive, they were just chatting while Moz was playing, just tryin to take pictures or videos.

And no, there was no happy birthday song, just a few people yelling "Happy Birthday Moz!" but that's it.

I was also expecting a surprise in the setlist but never happened.

Reviewing the audience? And annoyed because something you were expecting didn't happen...? Now THAT is lame.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom