Damon Albarn asked Morrissey and Sade to appear on new Gorillaz album, but was turned down

Damon Albarn has 40-45 Gorillaz songs still to be released, plus there’s a TV series in the works - Consequence Of Sound
Albarn also reveals plans for a Chicago Demon Dayz Festival and reveals that Morrissey passed up an opportunity to collaborate on Humanz

Excerpt:

Though Humanz is chock full of all-star collaborators, including Grace Jones, Carly Simon, Mavis Staples, Noel Gallagher, and De La Soul, a few others passed up on the opportunity. Among them: Morrissey (lol!), Sade, and Dionne Warwick, “who passed for the second time because the lyrics conflicted with her religious sensibilities,” according to Q.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Moz could have done one or two more albums with Street and then gone on to do Arsenal and Vauxhall (fantastic albums) after that, and kept Street friendly for the odd brilliant single. KILL UNCLE was crap. Maladjusted wasn't great. Southpaw was just about ok. All You Need Is Me and Thats How People Grow Up are septic scour. Street could have bailed Moz out a few times.
Overall Moz is great but if he didn't burn every bridge he could have built up a stable of ace songwriters to work with instead of just his current crew.

Perhaps but I think he's got a lot of loyalty to them. I also think that if he wanted to a lot of people would work with morrissey if he called but he just doesn't want to. I think street would do another album if asked so not really a matter of burned bridges but rather him playing with whom he wants to. Even marr asked to do another album and if he reached out I think a bunch of musicians would be up for a collaboration. Yeah refusal wasn't my favorite either on whole but I loved quarry and world peace I found to be fantastic and well his best since quarry maybe it even tops it. Especially musically. Unlike quarry that's an album with songs I could listen and enjoy even without him singing. even if it doesn't stray to far from his sound the Spanish guitar was a really sweet addition. Maladjusted has also really grown on me as I've aged while vauxhal has diminished for me somewhat. Let's face it though Morrisseys never gonna make a techno pop record or release a hip hop duet. Might be better for it as well as his body of work won't have an embarrassing failures along the with the occasional successes. He is and has always been a classicist of pop music. In a way I think it's to his credit that he rose high and fell on his own work without the sensational collaboration headlines at every turn. As for Street he's a fantastic producer but I think the songwriting was only good and that it was morrissey who made those songs so over the top amazing. I mean without the vocal Sunday is pretty simple. It's good back drop music but can be kinda economical at times. Also and this is probably the perspective of a person who came of age in the early to mid nineties but that record and song style sounds like very dated eighties jangle at times in ways that the smiths transcended. I'm kinda glad in a way that morrissey moved on from that and I don't know how street would do at other types of music. Morrissey could have been stuck in that dated sound if he hadn't moved on for whatever reason. Does street have any other songwriting credits to his name

Steady on there! Albarn has a few good songs like To The End & This Is A Low. I'd rate him above a lot of other artists. I like his voice and he's a good looking man about town. Like most artists (except for Moz) Albarn has done his fair share of cack/crap songs too.

:) fair enough. We have different opinions, either good or bad, they're not going to stop him from doing what he does, which is how it should be. Just by my definition of what an artist is... he just doesn't make the cut. I'm not saying people are wrong for listening to that stuff, if they enjoy it, then great. I guess they in their own time... will have to find out for themselves.

We'll Let You Know rated your post
clear.png
Troll in this thread :laughing:

WE'LL LET YOU TROLL :flowers:

Last edited:
Never could stand blur and their cynical take on things. Besides, he sounds like Jamie Oliver singing. That said, Albarn has pop sensibility and a nose for great collaborators. A collaboration with Morrissey could have been interesting, but I'm not sure Albarn would "help" M's career as some have suggested. M would probably help Albarn just as much in that case.

i agree about losing stephen street. i can't see that there would have been so many musical missteps with street providing the production and musical backdrop.

Journalists Who Lie

....but just kidding. I agree with you.

I'm not sure Albarn would "help" M's career as some have suggested. M would probably help Albarn just as much in that case.

I didn;t suggest this, but now that you mention it....strictly carreer-wise (not artistically) Gorillaz is way more known and popular in youngster culture than Morrissey. Although Albarn is also pushing 50, while Morrissey fans surely at least heard of Blur/Gorillaz, it is not true vice versa.

I didn;t suggest this, but now that you mention it....strictly carreer-wise (not artistically) Gorillaz is way more known and popular in youngster culture than Morrissey. Although Albarn is also pushing 50, while Morrissey fans surely at least heard of Blur/Gorillaz, it is not true vice versa.

Young people listen to Ariana Grande, Rihanna and Drake or Bon Iver and John Misty. But yeah, Gorillaz are more commercial and widely known than Morrissey who has more of a cult following. My point was that a big part of Gorillaz' success and credibility was down to Albarn's choice of awesome collaborators, so he is quite dependent on them. Moz will always have his cult following, Albarn needs to constantly come up with new, interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Blur is pretty good but no match for Oasis. Now if Oasis did a reunion album and he turned that down I would question his sanity more than I do. I don't really listen to Gorillaz but they do seem to sell a lot more than Morrissey and he would look good as a cartoon.

Didn't Damon Allbran take a trinket of Her Vagesty fairly recently?

Moz is right to turn him down.

Last edited:
That was unusual.

But not impossible.
Boz is a top multi-musical bloke.
The silent but oh so reliable engine of the band.
He can play anything. He can fill in any gap.
Maybe Moz relies more on him, as friend and musical partner then we will ever know.

As far as I was aware the solo in that track was always played by someone who was not Boorer. His gut is looking fairly extended these days, and i thought maybe his arms couldn't reach, or achieve the delicacy required for solo-type work.☺The guy has been amazingly loyal to morrissey and i hope he writes an autobiography soon.

The Damon Albarn of the past 10-15 years is nothing like the 90s Britpop silliness version.

Would suggest checking out some of the Plastic Beach Gorillaz album, there are some excellent songs if you keep an open mind (& look beyond the cartoon characters).

(from Demon Days)

From a German interview

http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/neues...384325&xtor=AD-251-[]-[]-[]-[dlf-mobil]-[]-[]

"There is the song "Circle of Friends" on the album - it is a mini-song, which should have been longer and which I wanted to record with Morrissey. But with him I exchanged only a few ridiculous e-mails, and then he had no more desire. I also wanted Dionne Warwick. I played her the song on the piano and quickly realized that she would not join. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't! The only thing that is important to me with the people I work with is that we have a similar view of the world and a certain sympathy for each other. Somehow I thought that Morrissey and I were ticking a bit similar, but: Hey, he has never worked with anyone! With Sade it was similar! I hoped so much that these people would join - but no! But it does not matter, because, first, there is always someone else. And secondly, I can always do it myself. In the end, I went back to the original idea and sang the song alone."

From a German interview

http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/neues-gorillaz-album-eine-art-musikalisches-speed-dating.807.de.mhtml?dram:article_id=384325&xtor=AD-251-[]-[]-[]-[dlf-mobil]-[]-[]

"There is the song "Circle of Friends" on the album - it is a mini-song, which should have been longer and which I wanted to record with Morrissey. But with him I exchanged only a few ridiculous e-mails, and then he had no more desire. I also wanted Dionne Warwick. I played her the song on the piano and quickly realized that she would not join. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't! The only thing that is important to me with the people I work with is that we have a similar view of the world and a certain sympathy for each other. Somehow I thought that Morrissey and I were ticking a bit similar, but: Hey, he has never worked with anyone! With Sade it was similar! I hoped so much that these people would join - but no! But it does not matter, because, first, there is always someone else.And secondly, I can always do it myself. In the end, I went back to the original idea and sang the song alone."

'Somehow I thought that Morrissey and I were ticking a bit
similar,'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

'With Sade it was similar! I hoped so much that these people would join - but no!'

why does he seem surprised?! :lbf: fool.

'But it does not matter, because, first, there is always someone else.'

sour grapes, and, NO there is no one else.

'And secondly, I can always do it myself. In the end, I went back to the original idea and sang the song alone.'

:clap:
more sour grapes, poor boy.

'Somehow I thought that Morrissey and I were ticking a bit
similar,'

'With Sade it was similar! I hoped so much that these people would join - but no!'

why does he seem surprised?! :lbf: fool.

'But it does not matter, because, first, there is always someone else.'

sour grapes, and, NO there is no one else.

'And secondly, I can always do it myself. In the end, I went back to the original idea and sang the song alone.'

:clap:
more sour grapes, poor boy.

If i was more hot-temperedi wrote rude words but I just say "back off". Damon Albarn is a composer, wrote operas and real serious pieces of music. To view him as the cartoon Britpop-singer is the same laziness as viewing Morrissey the Pope of Mope, miserable etc. Don't like him, fair enough. He just wanted to work with Morrissey who declined and Damon still won't slag him off so give it a break.

If i was more hot-temperedi wrote rude words but I just say "back off". Damon Albarn is a composer, wrote operas and real serious pieces of music. To view him as the cartoon Britpop-singer is the same laziness as viewing Morrissey the Pope of Mope, miserable etc. Don't like him, fair enough. He just wanted to work with Morrissey who declined and Damon still won't slag him off so give it a break.

'I just say "back off" :clap: :bow:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom