Danny Kelly reviews Morrissey's Autobiography on Radio 4's Front Row (Dec. 5, 2013)

Tonight, at 7:15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k2btm

Danny spoke brilliantly about Morrissey at the ICA panel event earlier this year, and as the man at the NME when the poop hit the Xpelair, it should make for an interesting listen. On the Tweet announcing the programme, he described Mr. M as "Confused old Morrissey". What could he mean?

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Tweet announcing the programme, he described Mr. M as "Confused old Morrissey". What could he mean?

P.

I could barely give a tinker's f*** :)

On the Tweet announcing the programme, he described Mr. M as "Confused old Morrissey". What could he mean?

P.

Well it's hardly "Confucius old Morrissey" these days, is it?
'Plain enough to me. :D

I can't make out what Kelly's saying. Something about Morrissey loving a court case and did Kelly say something about "If Morrissey says that in court...." ??

Quite by coincidence I finished reading 'Cider With Roadies', (a good read by the way), by ex-NME hack Stuart Maconie who describes the time in 1993 when Danny Kelly left the editors job at NME for Q magazine (replaced by Steve Sutherland (previously of Melody Maker). Maconie describes Morrissey as "...simply the best interviewee in the world." Kevin Cummins presented Maconie with a framed print of Morrissey when he left NME. Maconie forgot about it and it disappeared before he could retrieve it. The Madstock thing was in 1992 wasn't it? So Kelly would have been editor of NME at the time. Who's confused? Morrissey? Kelly? I'm siding with Mozzer. Kelly needs to be more explicit about what he says Morrissey is wrong about if he's to be taken at all seriously.

I had to look up the word Xpelair to understand what you were trying to say and now I do.

I feel very silly, now. Thanks, Uncleskinny. Sound like a great show. Will listen to it soon.

Kelly needs to be more explicit about what he says Morrissey is wrong about if he's to be taken at all seriously.

Morrissey alleges that when Kelly became editor of the NME he summoned the staff to a meeting and told them to "get Morrissey" (Morrissey's words). He also comes as close as he (thinks) he legally can to alleging that Kelly hired people to throw "sharpened pound coins" at the stage during his set at the Madstock concert.

Morrissey alleges that when Kelly became editor of the NME he summoned the staff to a meeting and told them to "get Morrissey" (Morrissey's words). He also comes as close as he (thinks) he legally can to alleging that Kelly hired people to throw "sharpened pound coins" at the stage during his set at the Madstock concert.

Kelly is a very bright guy, and the second part of Morrissey's implied claim about the hiring of thugs is patently ludicrous. If Kelly says he knows who Morrissey has confused him with, I tend to believe him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom