David Keenan visits Salford Lads Club

gharte writes:

Up and coming Irish star David Keenan visits Salford Lads Club before supporting James in front of 8,000 at Castlefield Bowl.

23 year old up and coming singer songwriter David Keenan from Dundalk whose debut single "Cobwebs" reached Number 1 in the Irish singer/songwriter charts quotes Morrissey outside The Salford Lads Club: "Grabbed you by the gilded beams, that's what tradition means. And now 18 months hard labour seems fair enough."

Dylan Gill

40359_David_Keenan_Salford_Lads_Club.jpg

Don't know what it is but whenever I see the word singer-songwriter, never mind hearing them, there is a slight but unmistakably disgusting taste creeping up in my throat.
Only then, thank god.

Never heard him but I feel a need to avoid that.
Singer-songwriters are sooo seventies, or should I say even sixties?
They were good in their time but not in this time.

Remember the songline from the Smiths, lyrics Moz of course, " I thought I was a protest singer, I can smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible".
That did it for me, I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I look at it the other way. The kid is doing all the work on his own and he's keeping the love of Morrissey going through the generations. Plus he's pretty good too!

Sorry to write but a bit bored by cover tracks and talented singers m/f who use someones work or go to a place that's attached to a certain band/singer f/m.

Best bands and artist did it on their own, and ofcourse they had heroes, but the beatles and the stones ,elvis,the who, rem, to name just 5 didn't need that, and a lot more, the whole Warhol/end 1970's NY bands, they created their own.

I possibly , or I'm certain harsh on this Irish singer, but I just had to write it.

[I know people can jump on this, and know famous bands artists m/f who took advantage of some artist, but I won't go in debate]

Sorry to write but a bit bored by cover tracks and talented singers m/f who use someones work or go to a place that's attached to a certain band/singer f/m.

Best bands and artist did it on their own, and ofcourse they had heroes, but the beatles and the stones ,elvis,the who, rem, to name just 5 didn't need that, and a lot more, the whole Warhol/end 1970's NY bands, they created their own.

I possibly , or I'm certain harsh on this Irish singer, but I just had to write it.

[I know people can jump on this, and know famous bands artists m/f who took advantage of some artist, but I won't go in debate]

No bands "Do It On Their Own"....The Smiths hooked up with Sandie Shaw....covered other bands songs and plagiarised many works of art that came before them. There is no debate on this....I just had to write it....

leave the guy alone.have to laugh this guy is making music in front of a lot of people and hes getting criticism on here from people who are sitting in front of a computer,im exempt because I am lying on my bed so not sitting.

Thought the song was pretty good. Sounded a bit like an Irish Chris isaak. Loved the video

No bands "Do It On Their Own"....The Smiths hooked up with Sandie Shaw....covered other bands songs and plagiarised many works of art that came before them. There is no debate on this....I just had to write it....

Morrissey and Marr first meetings they had already a few songs [meetingS]sorta composed
yes Morrissey loved 60's early 70's Brittish female singers, but they were talented, they neeeded only a record compony deal, naming Sandie is childish and cheap

I think only Sandy got her carreer a boost, hooking up with the best new alternative band in 1983 [John Peel show]

genius like Prince, David Bowie had enough talent do it their way, as The Smiths

here a cuppa grease tea

sorta...I think.....words of someone who knows what they are talking about......hardly.
Sandie Shaw was approached by The Smiths (Geoff Travis & Band) and asked to record Hand In Glove which she agreed to do and she had her first chart hit in 15 years which went up to number 27 in the charts. It worked well for both parties.
Elvis barely wrote a song in his life. Presley received co-songwriting credit due to his Hill & Range publishing deal which demanded songwriters concede 50 percent of the credit of their song if they wanted Presley to record it....
I could go on and on but you get the general idea....
The kid visited Manchester for the first time and wanted to tip his hat to the great man. For that he should be applauded. The love of music is passed from one artist to the next and from generation to generation. Most bands cover other bands songs. Radiohead covered "The Headmaster Ritual" in studio, Placebo covered "Big Mouth Strikes Again" etc...most of them can't touch the original but it's their way of tipping their hat.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom