Davis, CA - Robert Mondavi Center at UC Davis (Mar. 4, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Alma Matters / Irish Blood, English Heart / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / November Spawned A Monster / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / You Have Killed Me / Action Is My Middle Name / Speedway / Still Ill / People Are The Same Everywhere / To Give (The Reason I Live) / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Meat Is Murder / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Let Me Kiss You / How Soon Is Now? // The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

set list provided by an anonymous person

• Morrissey at Mondavi Center, U.C. Davis (Concert Review / photos) by Jason DeBord - Rock Subculture. Link posted by Jason DeBord.

morrissey-2013-concert-review-mondavi-center-music-march-4-set-list-the-smiths-134.jpg

Last edited:
He played some Smiths songs and he said some wacky stuff. Go Morrissey yay.

1- Alma matters
2- Irish blood, English heart
3- Everyday is like sunday
4- Ouija board, Ouija board
5- November spawned a monster
6- That joke isn't funny anymore
7- I'm throwing my arms around Paris
8- You have killed me
9- Action is my middle name
10- Speedway
11- Still ill
12- People are the same everywhere
13- To give (the reason I live)
14- You're the one for me fatty
15- Meat is murder
16- Please, please, please, let me get what I want
17- Let me kiss you
18- How soon is now

Encore: The boy with a thorn in his side

He played some Smiths songs and he said some wacky stuff. Go Morrissey yay.

Robert Mondavi was really great in 'Licensce To Kill' & 'The Goonies'...but does that really warrant having a theater named after him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely amazing show!!! More Smiths songs than I expected! Glad to see that some fans were able to get onstage to hug Moz. Too bad it started to get out of hand. All around awesome show. Cool venue.

Yes, it was a fantastic show. Not much talking but the performance was strong. He sang a bit from Well I Wonder during the break in Speedway which was very thrilling. Great to have November Spawned back with Gustavo playing some bongos. Also before Please x3 he spoke of ending his days in the Alps with Charles Dickens on his lap. My friend and I were up front where there were a couple rows of people standing. All very nice folks. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore is an excellent arrangement.

The stage invasion at the end was rather dramatic. Morrissey came out saying, "The time is now" while pointing to his wrist. Over a dozen folks got up on stage where they were rather violently shoved backed into the crowd. My friend had her nose knocked rather hard & I had to help one poor fellow up off the ground. The event security were very mild. No set lists were handed out. The stage crew said they "weren't allowed" and one chap crunched a set list up in a ball and threw it away. Rather harsh if you ask me.

Attachments

• DSC09107.jpg
    DSC09107.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 10
Second row seats but i was way too short for a handshake (now she her standing on the table with her small arms flailing ;) Setlist didn't vary much from the last 2 days. He was strong in voice, looking trim and fantastic. Very catty with the crowd who wasn't hugely boisterous, but its because we were in awe that he MADE IT to Northern California YAY!!! He cracked some silliness in typical fine Moz fashion when someone was given the mic and said some words about a person who had passed on ( I could not catch the name), and Moz replied something to the effect of "He was alive and now he's dead. Dead dead dead dead dead!". Also said an apology to San Francisco. If anyone can elucidate please do. 3 shirts, one to the crowd. Tons of stage invaders on The Boy with the Thorn.... Folks were getting strangled by security and run off the stage. Moz Jokingly called some folks Liars! when they said they have traveled all over the world in response to a question of his before People are the same Everywhere. Said he imagined himself in a few years huddling in isolation in the French Alps. Great merch. Be warned, i had to stand in line twice to buy a mug with "Share some greased tea with me" on it because the first time they wouldn't sell it to me before the show because had Moz was was suspicious somebody would chuck it at him. The mug had to be purchased after the show. Got a signed picture, whoop!!! Warfield i cannot wait. Love the Moz. Uniquely human, 1 of a kind, there will never be another like him.
Night all,
Michele

That version of Still Ill made me go a bit crazy. The percussion leading in...oh damn! I wish I could relive that. If anyone knows anything about a recording of that where to get it let me know.

It was so wonderful to see Morrissey play Alma Matters at UC Davis, my alma matter. I hadn't been back to the old town for several years so it made for a great day.

He sang more Smiths songs than I had seen in the past. The crowd was generally pleasant and the acoustics of the theatre were lovely. He also sang the best I have seen him (and I've seen him four times). I wonder if it was due to the theatre or if he was just in very good form. He's also quite fit for someone his age!

Also, it was a bit strange to not have any Mondavi wines for sale at the Mondavi center. My wife's glass of Bogle was excellent.

Outstanding show, same set list mixed up a bit as others listed, no maladjusted.

Venue was beautiful and the sound was amazing, sold out according to the ushers who were all very nice. One usher (sweet older lady) told me that if you had tickets in the orchestra area rows a-f they were instructed to allow people to the front of the stage. That was my cue to go up front, my wife stayed back at her seats left pit.

He was teasing the crowd all night, with limited hand shakes in my opinion from most other shows. Though it was not as if he was being mean or was upset, rather teasing all the die hards close to stage.

Being that close to the stage, a hand shake away, is such a moving experience, it's like another time and place!

Sadly, for me, this is the end of the 3 show tour consisting of Staples Center (OK, big show for lot's of people) > Hollywood High (amazing and intimate) > Davis (a hand shake away the entire show, over-the-top).

I'm hoping he swings through southern CA again in the near future, so I/We get one more chance(s) to be in his presence.

He truly is an incon and one of a kind, the man is a living legend!

Thanks for the reviews! :flowers:

A true artist whose work is timeless. He hasn't sold out and is true to his craft. I love his honesty, creative delivery and his confidence to take a stand. The mondavi show was incredible! My only regret was I could not give him roses.... Morrissey, nothing but continued health and joy too you and yours! Much love & God Bless!

It was so wonderful to see Morrissey play Alma Matters at UC Davis, my alma matter. I hadn't been back to the old town for several years so it made for a great day.

He sang more Smiths songs than I had seen in the past. The crowd was generally pleasant and the acoustics of the theatre were lovely. He also sang the best I have seen him (and I've seen him four times). I wonder if it was due to the theatre or if he was just in very good form. He's also quite fit for someone his age!

Also, it was a bit strange to not have any Mondavi wines for sale at the Mondavi center. My wife's glass of Bogle was excellent.

Well, there were two Mondavi wines for sale actually... perhaps a different stand? I actyually traded my Bogle in for a Beer because it was so awful :) But the details about Morrissey and the show were spot on.

What an amazing show! Made up for the disappointment of not getting to see him from the front row of the Davies Symphony in SF. I saw him for the first time 28 years ago to the day on the Meat is Murder tour in Margate, UK. I can honestly say, he gets better and better as time goes on. My 47 year old sister had flown over from Blighty to see him and was rewarded by a hand holding - she is now the happiest woman alive and may never wash again. I was totally entranced by the show until the stage invasion at the end. I was seriously worried for Mozzer (and my sister who was at the front). OK, maybe giving him a gentle hug is fine (amazing that he can continue singing tho), but don't try to snog him! Also, show some respect, I truly believe some of them would have ripped his clothes off given the chance. I felt stage for the on-stage security because they were overwhelmed. The security 'police'on ground level at the front of the stage did nothing. Why were they even there? Anyway, all in all tho, an amazing performance with very witty interludes.

A true artist whose work is timeless. He hasn't sold out and is true to his craft. I love his honesty, creative delivery and his confidence to take a stand. The mondavi show was incredible! My only regret was I could not give him roses.... Morrissey, nothing but continued health and joy too you and yours! Much love & God Bless!

Beautifully said. Amen.

Well, there were two Mondavi wines for sale actually... perhaps a different stand? I actyually traded my Bogle in for a Beer because it was so awful :) But the details about Morrissey and the show were spot on.

How odd... must have been a different stand.

While I was drinking my beer (wife got the wine) a nice young man from Peta gave me some literature. He seemed genuinely pleased to hear that I'd been a vegetarian for over 20 years.

All in all a wonderful show. It was nice to be in more of a "theatre" if you get my drift, because of the nice seating, good acoustics, and genteel vibe of the crowd. I'm used to more general admission shows so this was a nice change.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom