Def Leppard - We don't get as much respect as Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Quote...

"Rock’s ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don’t give rock its due and still rave on about Nick Drake. How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey’s so why don’t we get the same kind of respect?"

Full story/link here. Thanks to our roving reporter for this.

Peter

Quote...

"Rock’s ploughed its own furrow for 30 years but still music magazines don’t give rock its due and still rave on about Nick Drake. How many more front covers do Paul McCartney and Morrissey need? Our album will sell more than Morrissey’s so why don’t we get the same kind of respect?"
Full story/link here. Thanks to our roving reporter for this.

Peter

hahahah, Because your not worthy of it. :rolleyes:

Rock stars seem to actually believe this stuff. They put out a few mega-sellers, and eventually convince themselves that there's no reason why the people who buy their albums shouldn't matter as much as any rock journalist and that the whole lack of critical acclaim is really just down to unfair prejudice in the press, bless 'em.

I don't think I know anyone who's seriously interested in music who takes them even remotely seriously, and that includes quite a few metalheads.

cheers

Here's another quote from the same article:

"It’s nice to walk down Oxford Street without being recognised but then again when music magazines write about us they take the p*** because we’re not as cool as Johnny Marr, who isn’t as successful as us by a million miles."

Wow, that's some chip they have on their collective shoulder; I'm surprised that they want to be respected as artists, especially this late in the game.

The divide between The Smiths and Def Leppard is incalculable - they inhabit different worlds...

It took me a while to remember what Def Leppard's breakout single was - "Photograph":

"I'm outa luck, outa love
Gotta photograph, picture of
Passion killer, you're too much
You're the only one I wanna touch
I see your face every time I dream
On every page, every magazine
So wild so free so far from me
You're all I want, my fantasy

Oh, look what you've done to this rock 'n' roll clown
Oh Oh, look what you've done"

This was the same year that The Smiths came out with "Hand in Glove."

And yet, queerly, Joe Elliot is almost as devoted a Jobriath fan as Morrissey.
In fact, perhaps this is sour grapes rather than shouldered chips - maybe Joe was outbid by Morrissey in the auction of all Eddie Kramer's Jobriath master tape material a few years ago. Moz got them, Joe didn't, hence grudge?
That's right, you heard me, Morrissey gazumped Joe Elliot :eek:

Moz is hanging out with Lady Blah Blah while DL are hanging with Taylor Swift :lbf:

BTW..Moz has never written a lyric quite like..I'm hot, sticky sweet..from my head to my feet..:sick:

What was playing with Taylor Swift like?
It was nice to visit the ‘hey diddle diddle’ territory for a while. Taylor Swift is a huge Def Leppard fan so when she was asked to do Crossroads, a music collaboration show, she said she wanted to do it with us. At that point she hadn’t had a stupid dumb rapper invade her on stage to ruin her evening, now she’s going to be more cynical which is a shame. We wanted to kick his [Kanye West’s] head in and would have done if we were there. She writes way ahead of her years. I hope she’s still doing it when she’s 50.

no matter what you think of def leppard, you've got to give a hand to their drummer.

Well, aside from the stupidity of Def Leppard, with respect to their bitterness and whining, how is it any different than Morrissey's complaints over the years? Def Leppard should be mocked for being Def Leppard, not for complaining to the press about a perceived lack of respect. I can't bring myself to laugh at Def Leppard's moaning when I love the music of a man who still thinks "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" would have gone top ten had it not been for the failure of Rough Trade's promotions department and/or a BBC blacklist. :rolleyes:

And yet, queerly, Joe Elliot is almost as devoted a Jobriath fan as Morrissey.
In fact, perhaps this is sour grapes rather than shouldered chips - maybe Joe was outbid by Morrissey in the auction of all Eddie Kramer's Jobriath master tape material a few years ago. Moz got them, Joe didn't, hence grudge?
That's right, you heard me, Morrissey gazumped Joe Elliot :eek:

Joe Elliott is a big glam fan: Bowie, Mick Ronson, Bolan. Def Leppard even covered T-Rex. I hate to sound like a Morrissey fanatic :)rolleyes:), but it is amazing to see how differently the glam influence is expressed by a successful but pedestrian musical sensibility like Elliott's, as opposed to a musical genius like Morrissey's. The lyric's and vocals are so far apart they may as well have been singing in different languages.

Besides, Johnny Marr is as far from Phil Collen as a Bentley is from a bicycle.

It must be frustrating to have all the cash, but none of the artistic clout. The story is old...

I read, and I think is also in the upcoming documentary, Jobriath AD, that Joe Elliot's biggest influence was Jobriath.

Sorry, I didn't read Joe Frady's post.

I was outbid on Jobriath's test pressing being auctioned off by the singer of Zolar X

Last edited by a moderator:
Thus spake a bitter old fossil. So what?

The divide between The Smiths and Def Leppard is incalculable - they inhabit different worlds...

They share some similar elements. Looking at Pour Some Sugar On Me, talk of lumps and bombs and innocence. Okay not really.

I draw the line at cranking up the symbol machine for Def Leppard. Crazy lady has limits.

no matter what you think of def leppard, you've got to give a hand to their drummer.

What's got nine arms and sucks?

Def Leppard.

It's funny because his life was nearly ruined.

it's interesting stuff. I was v amused when I read this on the tube to work.

Morrissey, and those of us who live in Mozland, frequently berate the media, (radio stations, journalists etc) for ignoring his output or not giving him the credit he deserves.
but his media presence is, arguably, massively greater than his record sales and fan-base justify. wonder what he would think if he read the interview with Mr Leopard. something like this, perhaps?
"actually, I must admit I'm pretty lucky with the amount of media attention I receive, reviews in the press, magazine covers, invitations to play on Jools Holland, Jonathan Ross etc, when you consider how feeble my sales are".
no chance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom