Def Leppard's Joe Elliott makes another Morrissey comparison

I just came across this strange article where Def Leppard's lead singer compares his band with Morrissey. Really bloody strange bit of news, I must say:

Def Leppard Gets No Respect, Says Singer Joe Elliott - TripleM Music

If only his shite band never released any music, there I go again dreaming. What an absolute & utter wanker that nutjob is.

Excerpt:

"We've sold more records than Morrissey and I think I'm a better singer than Morrissey and we think we write better songs than Morrissey yet they'll still think that Morrissey is really cool because he was once in The Smiths.

"I've got nothing against Morrissey, I've got something against the press that think that way."

Related item:
  • Def Leppard singer Joe Elliot asks why they don't get the same respect as Morrissey - July 24, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd consider myself a rocker thats seen all these bands, but gets dragged by the missus to Morrissey gigs
and even I wouldn't consider Joe Elliot, Jon Bon Jobbi etc to write lyrics deserving to be considered in the same sentence of the average Morrissey effort.

Sorry, but you don't deserve artistic credibility if you write songs with such embarrassing titles as "Armageddon It" and "Let's Get Rocked", particularly if those songs are emotionally vapid, over-produced, Disney-friendly, soft rock abominations. Both Elliott and Morrissey are singers from the North of England who first came to prominence in the 1980s, but Morrissey actually sings in a Northern English accent, whereas Elliott screeches in a Californian accent. Oh, and Morrissey's music is timeless, whereas Def Leppard's music couldn't seem like more of a relic from the 1980s if you stuck it in a pair of Jeremy Clarkson's jeans.

def leppard are really pants. they're bad even for 80s rockers.

I knew the drummer lost his arm, but I never heard the singer lost his head before I read this.

def leppard should just shut up and count his money, at least he's got some.

Morrissey had Mick Ronson and Tony Visconti, two of the greatest producers that ever lived, produce albums for him, and Jeff Beck, one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived, did a guest spot on another album.

Def Leppard had most of their shit done by a guy who wrote songs for Huey Lewis And The News and later produced Shania Twain. They haven't done a decent album since REAGAN was President of the US, and they're more famous for having a one-armed drummer (miming to drum machine tracks) than for their over-produced UFO and T.Rex ripoffs.

Morrissey had Mick Ronson and Tony Visconti, two of the greatest producers that ever lived, produce albums for him, and Jeff Beck, one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived, did a guest spot on another album.

Def Leppard had most of their shit done by a guy who wrote songs for Huey Lewis And The News and later produced Shania Twain. They haven't done a decent album since REAGAN was President of the US, and they're more famous for having a one-armed drummer (miming to drum machine tracks) than for their over-produced UFO and T.Rex ripoffs.

'Pour Some Sugar On Me' is a good song though in't it?
I could imagine Morrissey covering that...

In what parallel universe does Def Leopard write better songs than Morrissey?

Def Leppard is precisely identified as a 'hairband' because it denotes how much substance they have. I believe I have heard this story before, and it as just as ridiculous now as it was then. Its sad really.

Joe Elliot, or Charlotte as I call him, is a decent sort. He wrote some questions to Morrissey at true-to-you.net and Julia didn't show them to Morrissey so Joe is upset and rightfully so, really.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom