Denver, CO - Ellie Caulkins Opera House (May 17, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.
Set List:

Hand In Glove / Speedway / Ganglord / I Have Forgiven Jesus / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Yes, I Am Blind / Life Is A Pigsty / The Bullfighter Dies / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Trouble Loves Me / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday // Asleep / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by Fatah Ruark

• Morrissey at Ellie Caulkins Opera House in Denver, 5-17-14 (photos, review) by Ricardo Baca - Reverb (24 photos total). Link posted by CrystalGeezer.

denver.jpg
  • Morrissey was tackled onstage by a fan, but his long-delayed show was a triumph anyway by Josiah Hesse (4 photos by Eric Gruneisen) - Denver Westword blogs

Last edited:
I think Jesse should leave the stage invaders alone as this is the second time he's shouted abuse at them. Morrissey loves his fans coming onto the stage to hug him, but Jesse doesn't have a clue what happens in a Morrissey concert :crazy:

Jessie needs to protect Moz, if Moz cancels the tour due to injury... There goes his paycheck.

Oh and ....
No, Morrissey is not throwing his shirt out.

Thanks CG! This is great.

I've transcribed the banter from this recording. I omitted some of the early thank you's. If he's this chatty every show then we're missing a lot of tidbits.

"If you're looking for trouble, you've come to the right place."
GLOVE
SPEED
GANG
JESUS
"That's very kind of you. You'll be pleased to know I'm now ready to convulse. So, for God's sake, stand back."
PARIS
"With all the many changes that are happening throughout the world, you might think the world is having a nervous breakdown. But it really isn't. It's getting better. People are waking up and being motivated. No more dictators. No more shit. So, do not be fooled into believing that world peace is none of your business."
WORLD
"And of course freedom is not just meant for humans. I drove past, today I drove past the Denver Zoo which hosts 4000 animals from around the globe, but I suppose all they should really say is 4000 trapped, unhappy, suicidal, unfree animals. THings must change. (Then he shouts something like "Free them" or "See them" I can't figure out.)
BLIND
"I have to confess, I have absolutely no idea who Elie Caulkins is, but I assume she was on Gilligan's Island or something. Yes? Do you know?(Pass the mic asking people who she is and nobody knows.) Are you American? Are you sure? Nothing? Somebody must know who she is, unless, unless of course like most very wealthy people they buy their own opera house…and…am I wrong Julia? (And Julia says "No, that's usually about the way things work.") "Thank you Julia." (And then he says something that may be "I knew I was right." but maybe not.)
PIGSTY (Lyric change during the final "I'm falling in love again"s he says "I am in love again.")
By some extraordinary twist of fate we are about to release a new CD, LP! And this song is called, if you care, this song is …do you care? (Crowd goes yay!) MMmmmmmm, how much? (Yay!) Well, next time you're in Target look out for my little CD, from which the Bullfighter dies."
BULLFIGHTER
"I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to laugh. (Matt counts out song with sticks and somebody missed their cue and band stops abruptly.) "Well, now I have a reason."
TO GIVE
"You're very understanding. Also today while I was driving in, I drove through Greeley, which is, which is of course the murder capital of Colorado…and if you don't believe me, ask a cow." (Crowd knows Greeley, they boo'd)
MIM
"Will you please put something together and welcome on keyboard, Gustavo Manzur. All the way from from somewhere on guitar, Jesse Tobias. Playing the drums, Matthew Walker. Playing the bass, Solomon Walker. And yonder, Boz Boorer."
SUNDAY
EARTH LONELY
"Are you feeling under the weather?"(crowd mumbling)"I'm still standing." (mumbling undecipherable banter)
TROUBLE
"Merci."
I KNOW SOMEDAY (with a crazy awesome sax outtro that's new to the tour or I just noticed)
ASLEEP
ONEDAY "…with my final brain cell…I'm alive. Jesse? What should we do now? I can take it." (Then they start the song over! :eek: He was almost two minutes in.)
"Thank you."

After reading some of these comments I'm a little worried to post this, BUT, I was the girl that GENTLY got on stage, got my hug, fulfilled a dream and knew when it was time to let go :) Anyway...I'm desperately looking for a picture of me on stage hugging Moz, if any of you happen to have one or saw one somewhere else online PLEASE let me know!
Thanks!

Jeez...did this person go to the same show as me?

I enjoyed myself and it was a good show, but I've seen MUCH MUCH better from Morrissey. I thought the set list was a little lacking (and I would have been ok with another 5 songs or so).

Agree, he's ounded great, and can still perform theatrics, but I was hoping for more songs, he fleet out NFD and First of the gang. he played those in previous shows.....

I think Jesse should leave the stage invaders alone as this is the second time he's shouted abuse at them. Morrissey loves his fans coming onto the stage to hug him, but Jesse doesn't have a clue what happens in a Morrissey concert :crazy:

Morrissey shouldn't be tackled or be falling to the ground. I would react if I was in Jesse's place.

After reading some of these comments I'm a little worried to post this, BUT, I was the girl that GENTLY got on stage, got my hug, fulfilled a dream and knew when it was time to let go :) Anyway...I'm desperately looking for a picture of me on stage hugging Moz, if any of you happen to have one or saw one somewhere else online PLEASE let me know!
Thanks!

At least you were gentle with him. I saw you crying during Asleep. You are cute.

My only problem with the setlist, apart from "To give" which just shouldn't be there anymore is that it is way too short. Anything less than 20 songs is in my opinion a very short set.

Can't find a video of the tackle, only the aftermath ("I can take it"). Not doubting those that were there but there are conflicting reports so a video would be helpful.

If Guillame was in fact banned that's too bad. He's a long time fan. Maybe he did in fact go too far last night, but the French hatred is pretty over the top.

I am the poster who posted in the Tour Forum about Moz not "owning" the stage. I feel compelled now to eat my own words. Based on what others are saying, maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought the show was very very good. My expectations were a little low going in. I really hoped for a surprise song such as "Boy with the Thorn in His Side" or just about any good hit. I would have been happy with Let Me Kiss You or something also.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: The intro - before the band comes on - was f***ing nauseating! All those stupid old 60's videos of The New York Dolls and other terrible crap was awful. And it was stupid LOUD.

Anyhow. I thought Moz sounded GREAT. My gf didn't know Moz well but was also impressed. He did not miss a note. The band? The only complaint I have is Jessie - he just isn't that good. Otherwise they sounded tight and I was impressed. Gandlord was great live - as was Trouble. I'm not sure why he feels compelled to do Jesus - terrible song.

The encore could have been better - maybe Heaven Knows...

I'm really surprised Moz won't play some other popular songs like The Headmaster Ritual or How Soon Is Now or Ask or Is It Really So Strange...so many good one's to pick from...

We are both Veg but were still shocked to see that animal slaughter video playing during MIM - WOW! We have seen Meet Your Meat before but not that video! A couple in front of us got up and left and people in hall were talking about it afterward - but then isn't that the point!? I thought it was a bold statement - well done...

As far as the stage invaders. I was in first row Mezz but it looked more like the whole thing was an accident - the invader+Moz+security gorillas all colliding. I fully expected Moz to walk off but he didnt - he kind of growled and got up and said "Im tough, I can take it!" f*** yeah Moz!

Anyhow - I DID indeed think Moz owned the stage and I was left impressed and happy we went. Overall very good show...

Can't find a video of the tackle, only the aftermath ("I can take it"). Not doubting those that were there but there are conflicting reports so a video would be helpful.

If Guillame was in fact banned that's too bad. He's a long time fan. Maybe he did in fact go too far last night, but the French hatred is pretty over the top.
My comments about hatred for the French were just my extremely dry sense of humor. I'm much more for the British side of things, though.

By the time we get to the end of the tour the set list will be 5 songs. Stop cutting it short! 20 songs isn't enough.

"With all the many changes that are happening throughout the world, you might think the world is having a nervous breakdown. But it really isn't. It's getting better. People are waking up and being motivated. No more dictators. No more shit. So, do not be fooled into believing that world peace is none of your business."

"And of course freedom is not just meant for humans. I drove past, today I drove past the Denver Zoo which hosts 4000 animals from around the globe, but I suppose all they should really say is 4000 trapped, unhappy, suicidal, unfree animals. Things must change.

"I drove through Greeley, which is, which is of course the murder capital of Colorado…and if you don't believe me, ask a cow."

Quotes above attributed to Morrissey. Denver, CO - Ellie Caulkins Opera House (May 17, 2014)

============================================================

"Sirens of the Lambs' Banksy

"Carnism is the root of all evil" BrummieBoy

I think I would have wanted to be at the Colorado show more than any other.

tumblr_mg8omz8N0z1rlj929o1_500.gif

Review: Morrissey at Denver's Ellie Caulkins Opera House 5/17

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2014/05/morrissey_review_denver_tackled_photos.php

There's no getting around it: Morrissey is old. The Brando-like grace he once exuded on Top of the Pops and the maniacal urgency of the Rank live album are now just a flickering light inside the body of a man who will turn 55 on Thursday. But Morrissey can still write a song worthy of his canon (as we heard in the many tunes off his forthcoming album World Peace Is None Of Your Business), and can sing it with as much playfulness, grace and power as he did when fronting The Smiths - if not more.

-- By Josiah Hesse

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRglLvEjX-c

richbond66 just uploaded a few mini clips. Still looking for a clip of Morrissey hitting the deck. Just wanna hear how quiet the place got and see Jesse's face.

To all the people whining about how Moz or somebody else could have been seriously hurt, it seems very hypocritical to then go on to say that you hope that somebody hurts Guillaume. Seriously?? This kind of thing happens at concerts...GET OVER IT! If anything it made it MORE interesting. The fact is that nobody was seriously injured and everybody needs to stop bitching about it. EVEN WORSE is to start spouting anti french bullshit when that has NOTHING to do with this PETTY incident and it is sooo NOT cool to hate on a WHOLE COUNTRY over NOTHING. How can you even f***ing call yourself a MOZ fan?! You haters should be ashamed and I'm sure that if Morrissey could read all of your comments he would ban YOU from his concerts and NOT Guillaume.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom