Did anybody else know that Morrissey was Marr's best man at his wedding?

tumblr_lb6km1uD4V1qcbs7bo1_500.jpg
Where's Morrissey?

I never knew this and I've been following Morrissey since the late 80s. Am amazed!
Many thanks for posting.

I never knew this, either.

But you people that think Morrissey wrote songs to Johnny Marr... are you the same people that think he is in a relationship with any man he employs? It's more the same sort of lack of imagination that creates tabloid stories putting Harry together with Pippa.

I've just never seen their relationship that way and if it had been it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. That's an impossible situation to maintain.

But you people that think Morrissey wrote songs to Johnny Marr... are you the same people that think he is in a relationship with any man he employs? It's more the same sort of lack of imagination that creates tabloid stories putting Harry together with Pippa.

Morrissey himself stated that "Angel Angel Down We Go Together" was about Marr..

But you people that think Morrissey wrote songs to Johnny Marr... are you the same people that think he is in a relationship with any man he employs?

No - that would be ridiculous. Just Spencer and Jesse, obviously.

He didn't want them to get married due to fears that it would distract Johnny from the band and weaken his ambition/material, apparently. Domesticity breeding laziness and all that. Or just plain old jealousy.
And Morrissey told you this when? The fact that Moz was Johnny's best man would suggest he fully supported the marriage.

From a 1997 interview:

Everybody loved Marr, and Morrissey was no different. Loved him "not physically", he says, but as a music partner and friend. "In the beginning it was always Angie, Johnny and I".

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/guard97.htm

Last edited:

I've just never seen their relationship that way and if it had been it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. That's an impossible situation to maintain.

Not at all. Does he have to be in a relationship with someone to love them? Or write songs for them? Read the lyrics to "Angel, Angel...", which he has admitted to be about Marr. "Billy Budd" is another obvious Marr song, and I'd go with "Disappointed" as well.

Last edited:
You can see part of his head behind the person in the white.
Thats def a mozzer hairline!

Yeah I agree with Amy, that looks like Andy Rourke in the background.

I think the shoulder pad of Morrissey's jacket can be seen in the bottom right of the picture?

johnnywedding2.jpg
morrissey_library.jpg

Morrissey himself stated that "Angel Angel Down We Go Together" was about Marr..

"songs to" / "song about"

Besides, I don't find that quote. I only find people saying he has "admitted" it. Also, it's not exactly a song of unrequited love. Not saying it's not true, but statements like that take on a life of their own and pretty soon everyone is using a rumor of a rumor as a source.

Who did he say it to and when?
Not that it would prove anything but I'm curious if that interview exists.

Quote is from 1992, probably one of the music mags.

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/songs/angel.htm

"It was written with Johnny Marr in mind and it is the only song that I have written with him in mind, post Smiths. I saw him in the music industry being used and being pushed around and being manipulated and I felt I was in a situation and I thought, 'Look at me, look at you - it's the same, it's a mess and this is as far as we will go' - which wasn't quite true in the end but at that moment it felt pretty despairing for both, I felt despairing for both of us but I was wrong." (1992)

Moz probably wrote "I wont share you" after this event? :horny:

"It was written with Johnny Marr in mind and it is the only song that I have written with him in mind, post Smiths. I saw him in the music industry being used and being pushed around and being manipulated and I felt I was in a situation and I thought, 'Look at me, look at you - it's the same, it's a mess and this is as far as we will go' - which wasn't quite true in the end but at that moment it felt pretty despairing for both, I felt despairing for both of us but I was wrong." (1992)

It's strange to read this and hear how open he was and how candid back then. He would NEVER talk like this now. I'm not saying he's bullshitty now; I'm just saying he is much tighter about his personal emo stuff like this than he used to be.

Im glad it is news to so many.

Yes actually in the pic I agree thats andy now and moz with the jazzy jacket in the corner

Thank you.

I don't think he was in love with him, I think it was more of an obsession.
I think it becomes that if you work together every single day & share your deepest thoughts. Alongside that they were living in each other's pockets so it turns into that.
Moz probably felt very attached to him both physically and mentally and saw him as his 'rock' for want of a better word.

Back
Top Bottom