Did anybody else know that Morrissey was Marr's best man at his wedding?

Girl-Afraid

Least Likely To
This is news to me, probably old news to everybody else but I think its sweet.

With Morrissey as best man and Andy Rourke as a witness, only the crew and the band attended the wedding which was held at the First Unitarian Universalist Church on Franklin Street in San Francisco on 20 June 1985 during the Meat Is Murder Tour.

Re:

Yes.

This site is 16 years old and some people are following the career of Morrissey / Smiths from the beginning.

It's better to post this kind of topic to your blog / facebook.

I recently realised Paul Carrack contirbuted Smiths' first album (he is credited as keyboards), but didn't post a thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re:

Apologies, I knew this would be old news.
I did search for an old thread I could add to but couldn't find one.

If you want to merge it then feel free

Re:

Yes.

This site is 16 years old and some people are following the career of Morrissey / Smiths from the beginning.

I recently realised Paul Carrack contirbuted Smiths' first album (he is credited as keyboards), but didn't post a thread.

Thanks.

How exceptionally rude. You continue to ruin this place. Not content with reducing the forum to ashes, you proceed to piss on those ashes.

Worst moderator in history. In fact, you're just an awful contributor, never mind moderator.

Re:

Yeah....being Johnny's best friend he was the obvious choice, would have been extremely strange if someone else was the best man.

Re:

It'd be an interesting scene in a biopic. Would've liked to have been a fly on the wall for that.

In another interview johnny said that there were 3 people in his relationship/marriage during The Smiths years.
There is that iconic photo of Johnny and Angie sitting together in front of a very lonely looking Moz. The two of them looking very happy and Morrissey almost looking over wistfully.

Last edited:
I assume he didn't tell them "Don't do it," the way he did to Brand/Perry.
Although Moz doesn't put much stock in the concept of marriage, he probably knew Johnny and Angie were (really) for life.

Speaking of which, can someone post that olllld picture of Morrissey (Vauxhall era?) next to a blushing bride in white?
That was a conversation piece back in the day.

In another interview johnny said that there were 3 people in his relationship/marriage during The Smiths years.
There is that iconic photo of Johnny and Angie sitting together in front of a very lonely looking Moz. The two of them looking very happy and Morrissey almost looking over wistfully.

I'm spellbound, oh but a woman divides....and the hills are alive with celibate cries.

I assume he didn't tell them "Don't do it," the way he did to Brand/Perry.
Although Moz doesn't put much stock in the concept of marriage, he probably knew Johnny and Angie were (really) for life.

He didn't want them to get married due to fears that it would distract Johnny from the band and weaken his ambition/material, apparently. Domesticity breeding laziness and all that. Or just plain old jealousy.

Last edited:
Moz was writing his own slash fiction...

But seriously, for all the silly talk of Morrissey pining for Johnny, I think he "loved" him more for rescuing him (his words) than anything else.

I'm spellbound, oh but a woman divides....and the hills are alive with celibate cries.

Moz was writing his own slash fiction...

But seriously, for all the silly talk of Morrissey pining for Johnny, I think he "loved" him more for rescuing him (his words) than anything else.

He wrote it for years. And I don't think it's silly at all... or deserving of speech marks :straightface:

I actually had no idea of this till today so thank you Girl-Afraid.

I also had never seen Mozburger till today either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I still stay much of that talk is OTT, and while the Moz-solo songs written for "Marr" are about a deep personal and collaborative relationship -- are they more than that? Not IMO.
There was a journalist brave enough to ask Johnny about this love in an interview (I'm sure it's at your fingertips) and his response was neither doth-protest-too-much refusal nor overly nonchalant. I don't think he'd be able to act that well on the spot.

He wrote it for years. And I don't think it's silly at all... or deserving of speech marks :straightface:

I still stay much of that talk is OTT, and while the Moz-solo songs written for "Marr" are about a deep personal and collaborative relationship -- are they more than that? Not IMO.
There was a journalist brave enough to ask Johnny about this love in an interview (I'm sure it's at your fingertips) and his response was neither doth-protest-too-much refusal nor overly nonchalant. I don't think he'd be able to act that well on the spot.

Fair enough, KL. I suppose a song like "Hand in Glove" can be read like that. A lot of the others, I doubt it, but each to their own.

Re:

Yes.

Thanks.

Oh my god, are you STILL that not much of a prick???

Back
Top Bottom