Did Marr permanently move to Portland?

Or what's going on with that? And I hope his family is with him? :confused:

Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine? I know absolutely nothing about Modest Mouse because I don't care about them but I do about Marr

Maybe Modest Mouse are sick of him getting all the attention, at least in Europe. Maybe.

Marr was pale some years ago. Now he's tanned. Mmmh, not well.

Sorry for going a off topic.

okay um hello all ..Im here to clear a few things up..

You need to read this article.. and I bolded the most important part reguarding this thread..

It's that Modest Johnny Marr
Sarah Walters
23/ 5/2007

JOHNNY Marr is on his way to San Jose. La-la-la-la, la-la-la-la...

Does he know the way? "I'm just waiting for my plane. It's dead early in the morning here," yawns the former Smiths guitarist and newest member of indie outfit Modest Mouse as he takes a seat in the airport lounge.

The guitar legend joined long-established Washington band - Isaaquah's only musical hope - last year, tripping over to Mississippi to pen some tunes for their fifth creative masterpiece, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank. As Johnny tells it, the experience was too good to walk away from.

"I decided I wanted to record everything I'd written, and then when the record was recorded I was so pleased with it and committed to it that I wanted everybody to know that," says 43-year-old Marr.

"I couldn't really imagine anyone else performing my parts, plus by that time, me and the band had got pretty tight with each other and I wanted to show commitment to these guys that I'd spent a year working with."

Johnny was already a fan of the band, intrigued by their unfathomable influences. "So many bands these days will really obviously be a cross between one band and another. Even if you don't get it, they'll tell you. I like working with music that just falls from the ceiling, rather than someone's record collection."

Cagey

Ardwick's favourite son remains cagey about the permanence of his membership, pointing out that he still lives in Manchester and pondering that "no one can say that about anything, you never know what's around the corner".

But he does want to make another record with Modest Mouse, and says his rock band The Healers are only on the "side burner".

"I've still got a real passion for The Healers' songs and going out playing live, but this Modest Mouse record took on a momentum of its own and, with its success in America, I wanted to see it through. There's no problem for me doing both."

Is there room for a third? "Ah," he sighs, as the great Smiths reunion question rears its head. "The Hall Of Fame thing. I think it's possible we might be initiated... but I don't care whether I am or not.

"Me and Andy playing How Soon Is Now? at Manchester Vs Cancer was a nice moment and, all in all, it was just one of those great Manchester nights. I've had quite a few of them.

"But it's great to have new stuff to listen to and new stuff to play. I think most people who are into music should be focused on having new stuff to listen to."

When Modest Mouse founder member and guitarist Dann Gallucci quit the band, Johnny was the only person that frontman Isaac Brock could see filling his shoes. But how the devil do you pop that question?

"I didn't worry that he's a former Smith," quips Isaac, in typically trenchant style. "I just thought, 'He's a musician and he might enjoy the project'. I'd never met him and I didn't know much about him other than his guitar parts, but I decided it'd be kinda interesting to have the contrast because he's a completely different player to me."

If nothing else, joining Modest Mouse - who take their name from Virginia Woolf novel The Mark On The Wall, and are completed by bassist Eric Judy, drummer Jeremiah Green, violinist Tom Peloso and percussionist Joe Plummer - is a challenge Johnny is used to.

Erudite

In his time, he's worked with some fairly erudite and uncooperative frontmen, most famously Morrissey, but also with The The's controversial poet and artist Matt Johnson, Bryan Ferry, Billy Bragg, Black Grape and Oasis.

It's no surprise to find that Isaac's bookishness was the real draw. His poetic word play, fixation with religion and social awkwardness, self-confessed substance abuse (he apparently first met Kurt Cobain when the Nirvana frontman called at Isaac's friend's house for drugs), bouncing ball approach to vocal pitch and fierce rejection of mainstream success - the very idea of which makes him "grumpy" - all bear striking similarities to another famous pairing in Johnny's past.

"The lyrics on this new record are up there with the best things I've been involved in, and Isaac is without doubt my favourite lyricist of the moment," Johnny enthuses. "He's a larger than life writer that works on a lot of levels and I don't think there's anyone as good as him around at the moment; he's super talented."

What words of praise from Isaac, then, about his newest band mate? "He's changed the sound by about a fifth," he delivers, deadpan. "The whole process of writing is pretty democratic - we hang out at my house and all play and then we write by subtraction."

The album's lead single, Dashboard, is laced with Marr's jangly touch, but critics have suggested his impact has been minimal. It's a point Johnny refutes. In fact, he gets quite animated on the topic.

"There's only about 50 seconds on this album when I'm not actually playing.

Looming large

"I am looming large and I'm doing something that is where I'm at now. They caught me at a good time because I had an agenda to do something that was very big and loud, so there are a couple of little spots of jingle jangle, but that's just when that was called for.

"It's not my place to change the band into a British indie band from 1985, and I've got no interest in that. I'm interested in playing in a new band in 2007 and if it sometimes has echoes of something in the past then fine, but as a player I'm not stuck back there."

His home crowd will get the chance to decide for themselves, of course, when the band finally hits The Ritz on Tuesday. Isaac offers assuring words that Modest Mouse's car crash live performances are long behind them.

"In the early days, it was just me and a drummer and I didn't really know how to tune a guitar., I'd break strings a lot and just be generally antagonist to the audience. We had this song called The Boring Song that just went, 'This song is really boring' all the way through.

"There's still an element of risk. There are some nights when I've gone off to the point where I've frustrated the rest of the band. We've done 52 shows so far and I think Johnny's least favourite on the tour so far was our sound guy's favourite.

"Live, it's a lot more fun for me to not know what's going on. I don't give a **** about what's expected, as long as I walk away feeling pleased."

also..for whom said
I don't think so.

Johnny was interviewed by Channel 4 News recently, said he wouldn't take part in Modest Mouse's next recording.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=73729

;)
:eek: Mate I think you need your ears cleaned out cause he certainly did not say that on the Channel 4 clip.. he said he wouldnt reform the smiths..

Thank you very much for the correction, tanner sis.

I mixed up with Manchester Evening News and Channel 4 news interview. :o

Yeah no problem..I just havent seen where he said anything about not recording the next album..its been said on many occasions he is a full member and some where its not so clear..but the Manc news article is what I posted and he said doing both the Healers and MM.. Im going to see Modest Mouse in August for my birthday so if I meet him I'll ask.. :D

So, half an hour ago Johnny Marr had his hand on my shoulder.
I asked him whether he has moved to USA, and he said he enjoyed the bohemian atmosphere of Portland, Oregon, but he still shuttled between there and England, where his family lives.

Back
Top Bottom