Did Morrissey ever meet Davalos?

Dougal

You know, Richard Davalos, cover star of 'Strangeways..'? Well, answer's yes and in current Mojo collectors edition about Greatest Album Covers of all time, Davalos gives account of it. Meat Is Murder & Strangeways covers are given a page each. 'Meat Is Murder' blurb doesn't reveal anything of great interest but 'Strangeways..' has brief chat with Davalos, edited version here:

'I'm in as much of a dilemma as to why Morrissey chose me for the cover as you but I was terribly flattered...It was taken by a fan on location. The picture was Jimmy, me and a girl but Morrissey cut the others out. I sent him some other photos that I thought were funnier, like me with a pompadour hairdo, but he didn't use them. Strange cover, isn't it?'

Davalos did once meet the singer though, after one of his Los Angeles shows,
'He didn't know me and I didn't know him, so we were just terribly polite to each other. But I gave him a ring, because I was so flattered that he had put me on the cover, and he wanted to meet me.'

Linder Sterling's also mentioned for her cover of Buzzcock's 'Orgasm Addict'.

You know, Richard Davalos, cover star of 'Strangeways..'? Well, answer's yes and in current Mojo collectors edition about Greatest Album Covers of all time, Davalos gives account of it. Meat Is Murder & Strangeways covers are given a page each. 'Meat Is Murder' blurb doesn't reveal anything of great interest but 'Strangeways..' has brief chat with Davalos, edited version here:

'I'm in as much of a dilemma as to why Morrissey chose me for the cover as you but I was terribly flattered...It was taken by a fan on location. The picture was Jimmy, me and a girl but Morrissey cut the others out. I sent him some other photos that I thought were funnier, like me with a pompadour hairdo, but he didn't use them. Strange cover, isn't it?'

Davalos did once meet the singer though, after one of his Los Angeles shows,
'He didn't know me and I didn't know him, so we were just terribly polite to each other. But I gave him a ring, because I was so flattered that he had put me on the cover, and he wanted to meet me.'

Linder Sterling's also mentioned for her cover of Buzzcock's 'Orgasm Addict'.
They actually chose the Strangeways cover as one of the best? I think this was the weakest Smiths album/singles cover. It wasn't Morrissey's first choice, either - he wanted to put a shot of Harvey Keitel from "Who's Knocking at my Door" - the one he later used as a backdrop for the Kill Uncle tour - but didn't get permission from Keitel. It would have made a much stronger cover IMO.

harvey.jpg

Back
Top Bottom